OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #2,686 of 4,883
Mike-

That's why I choose that name, I can say Howdy and people will say Howdy- Howdy.

Quote-( So now, if I don't have WiFi access, I just fall back to using the NWZ-A17. It's UI is excellent. Not surprisingly, FLACs streamed from Tidal HIFi sound exactly like FLACs played from a micro SD card - always going through the HA-2's DAC and amp.
)
Do you fill the iPod with Offline mucic from Tidal for when there is no Wifi? I have about 450 songs on my Offline to use where ever. In ever stream as it is sketchy at times and I have 175 mag internet at my house which is more then plenty. I have a 16gb and there is plenty of room left. Im going to buy a Chord mojo and maybe another ipod but this would be either a 64 or 128gb for Tidal.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,687 of 4,883
Mike-

That's why I choose that name, I can say Howdy and people will say Howdy- Howdy.

Quote-( So now, if I don't have WiFi access, I just fall back to using the NWZ-A17. It's UI is excellent. Not surprisingly, FLACs streamed from Tidal HIFi sound exactly like FLACs played from a micro SD card - always going through the HA-2's DAC and amp.
)
Do you fill the iPod with Offline mucic from Tidal for when there is no Wifi? I have about 450 songs on my Offline to use where ever. In ever stream as it is sketchy at times and I have 175 mag internet at my house which is more then plenty. I have a 16gb and there is plenty of room left. Im going to buy a Chord mojo and maybe another ipod but this would be either a 64 or 128gb for Tidal.

:)

If I didn't have the Sony NWZ-A17, I would most definitely use Tidal HiFi's offline storage feature on the iPod Touch, but as it is, whenever I'm not able to access WiFi, I just switch to the Sony.  

I keep forgetting to mention, too, that I can charge the iPod from the HA-2 while playing music, but I have to find a 5V USB jack to charge the Sony Walkman (while it's not playing music.)

I carry a 10,000 mAH Li-Ion battery pack with 5V USB jacks for recharging all three devices on the go.

When using the iPod with the HA-2, I can plug the HA-2 into a 5V jack on the battery pack and charge the HA-2 while playing the iPod, but the HA-2 will not charge the iPod while it's receiving a charge.  

So, I usually start out playing with neither the iPod or the HA-2 getting a charge.  When I notice the iPod has lost about 10% of its charge, I start charging the iPod with the HA-2 (by holding the silver button for about 5 seconds until the blue LED comes on).

When the iPod is back to a full charge, still playing, I stop the charging and go back to burning power from both batteries.

I repeat this cycle until I see the HA-2's green LED showing only 50%, then if I want to keep playing, I plug the HA-2 into the Li-Ion battery pack and bring it up to 100%.  This takes about an hour, during which time, I cannot charge the iPod from the HA-2.

But once the HA-2 is fully charged again, I unplug the battery pack and go back to charging the iPod. It tops off much more quickly from the HA-2, than the HA-2 tops off from a 5V battery pack.

When I get back to an AC outlet, I use the HA-2's rapid charger instead of the 5V battery pack - it works much faster.

Anyway, that's more complicated to write down that it is to perform, but I'm kind of obsessive about never letting the internal batteries of any of my rechargeable devices get below about 50%.  I actually enjoy managing the battery levels while playing music.

The HA-2 in combination with an iPod or iPhone is incredibly versatile in this regard, because you never have to stop playing music because of a battery running down - as can happen when using the Sony Walkman with the HA-2.

Mike

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,688 of 4,883
I use the case from http://pearpeel.com/

It's for carrying two phones but I use it with my large iPhone 6 Plus on one side and HA 2 on the other side, they have different sizes for different phones.

Hope that helps.

Any chance you can post a couple of pics if your phone and the HA2 in the case?

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,689 of 4,883
Howdy howdy!

LOL I love doing that with you - it's a Texas thing, you know. :wink:

I've been using an iPad Mini and an iPad 3 with Retina display as sources for several months now - ever since signing up for Tidal. The Touch 6 is really quiet (lower noise floor than my laptop), just like the larger iDevices, but now, at last, I can fit it all into my pocket.

For playing my FLAC library, I've also been using the Sony NWZ-A17 with a USB emulation cable for the USB input of the HA-2. I've got two 128GB micro SD cards that are about 75% full. So now, if I don't have WiFi access, I just fall back to using the NWZ-A17. It's UI is excellent. Not surprisingly, FLACs streamed from Tidal HIFi sound exactly like FLACs played from a micro SD card - always going through the HA-2's DAC and amp.

If I had it to do all over again, I would just get the 128GB version of the Touch 6 and make due with the finite storage. I went for the 32GB Touch only because I have the Walkman for playing files - which seems a luxury now, so I couldn't see spending even more money for a 128GB Touch.

I really like all things made by CEntrance (I have the DACmini CX and the DACport LX), but the Skyn scares me due to the probability of rapid obsolescense. Apple updates their OS, the app you use demands you upgrade to that OS, and suddenly the hardware is too old to run the current OS. Then the Skyn goes into the closet. But I remember reading something about a trade-in program. Did I imagine that?

Mike

Where would one get "a USB emulation cable for sony A17" A link would be apreciated

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,690 of 4,883
Here you go!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY

It's a custom cable for pulling a USB signal out of the Sony A10 series Walkman and delivering it to the Oppo HA-2 without having to use any other adapters or cables.

It substitutes using the following Sony cable with a USB A male -to- USB Micro B male cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

Custom cable (my photo):

Sony's cable (Oppo UK photo):

Some more views of the Sony NWZ-A17 with USB out to the HA-2:

Mike

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,692 of 4,883
Just got the oppo Ha-2 as my first portable headphone amp , currently its paired with a ipod touch 5th gen and Philips M1MKII , Very very happy with it : D .

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,695 of 4,883
Has anyone here used the HA-2 with the Beyerdynamic T70? I have the T70 coming in tomorrow, but I'm a little concerned about that 250Ohm output impedance.

In general, all beyerdynamics headphones come with high dB/sensitivity. T70, in addition, sports a Tesla driver. More over, Oppo HA-2 does more than it promises. SO, just chill. You got a rocking set-up. My only concern is if you would actually like the treble-heavy T70. Just try them with HA-2's Bass button switched on.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #2,696 of 4,883
  Searching the web, I've come across this sale:

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/oppo-ha-2-es9018-k2m-dac-chip-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac.html

As I've never been a customer of this company, can anyone tell me wether they're trustworthy? I tend to mistrust when I'm going to buy on an online store for the first time.

I bought twice from them, 2013 and 2014, PayPal. Everything went smooth, fast shipping and always got the tracking number. But the delivery from China to USA took over 2 weeks.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #2,697 of 4,883
In general, all beyerdynamics headphones come with high dB/sensitivity. T70, in addition, sports a Tesla driver. More over, Oppo HA-2 does more than it promises. SO, just chill. You got a rocking set-up. My only concern is if you would actually like the treble-heavy T70. Just try them with HA-2's Bass button switched on.

I'm going to swap in the Brainwavz pads on these. A few headfiers whose opinions I respect reported that the Brainwavz pads improves the bass and slightly tames the treble.

But right now, I'm rocking my brand new HIFIMAN He400i.

In related news, my Fidelio X2s are about to go up for sale. Not sure I can justify three pairs of headphones.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #2,698 of 4,883
  Searching the web, I've come across this sale:

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/oppo-ha-2-es9018-k2m-dac-chip-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac.html

As I've never been a customer of this company, can anyone tell me wether they're trustworthy? I tend to mistrust when I'm going to buy on an online store for the first time.

I've got this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172001640429?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 
friendly seller with good communication, I can just recommend.
he even made a $30 invoice to help avoid exorbitant custom charges - without asking!

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #2,699 of 4,883
  I've got this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172001640429?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 
he even made a $30 invoice to help avoid exorbitant custom charges - without asking!

Yep, bought three times from him before. Top seller, fast shipment and often has discounts on products. Bought both a HA-2 and a Gustard H10 from him just a few weeks ago at 14% discount on regular prices. Same prices as Massdrop has had.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,700 of 4,883
  I bought twice from them, 2013 and 2014, PayPal. Everything went smooth, fast shipping and always got the tracking number. But the delivery from China to USA took over 2 weeks.

Well, that will depend on which shipping service one will choose, I guess. But I'll pay through Paypal for sure.

I know robvagyok, but unfortunately I can't buy on ebay as they banned me one year ago without explaining the reasons to me, but thank you for your help anyway.

Thank you both for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back