Oppo HA-1 or Auralic Taurus MkII for LCD-3
Sep 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nicklasb

New Head-Fier
Hello

Im getting back into highend cans after selling my HD800 about 2 years ago.

I have so far settled on buying Audeze LCD-3 but im trying to figure out what amp to buy. I have around 1500-2000$ to spend after i buy the headphones.
Im looking at buying the Auralic Taurus and sticking it into my Xonar STX soundcard as a dac until i can save up to a proper dac,
Otherwise im looking at buying the Oppo HA-1 and just being content with that but i have demoed that and i cant help feeling that there is room for improvment. i havent had a chance to demo the  LCD-3 with the Taurus yet.

I do realize the Oppo comes absolutly packed with features but im not really into that, im just gonna run USB from my comp to a dac and thats it. Im just looking to get peoples opinions based soley on sound.

Anyone compared the Taurus to the Oppo with the LCD-3? can't find any reviews comparing those 2.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 16
Hey Nick,

I'm actually owning the Oppo HA-1 together with an LCD3, which is working well so far, but still in the burning in period. As I made a trade off with a friend for the design of loudspeakers the Oppo will go anyway and will be replaced by Auralic Taurus MKII+Vega or by a Woo Audio WA7. I keep you posted as soon as I can make the comparison. I'll be for trail listening at Auralic within the next two weeks roughly.

Cheers

Feuergeist

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 16
Much more refined sound through the Taurus; definitely a step above the HA-1;

Don't get me wrong though the HA-1 is great value but the Taurus is a level above :)

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 16
I also think that the Taurus is a level above, looking forward to meet the designer and having a listening session.

I'm actually also considering the Questyle CMA 800 R as Dual Mono Configuration. However, in both cases I would like to go for one brand for the DAC and the Amp, and I think the Vega is quite better then the Questyle QAS192. But waiting for the listening session ... from the pure looking the price goes to the Auralic stuff, because it's an amazing design.

Hard to find an Endgame Amp for the LCD-3 and probably some other cans in the future if you only have limited access to hardware for listening sessions (I'm living in China, it's not that common that companies have hardware in showrooms).

Another option (maybe for later ...) is some of the Eddie Current stuff.

Hard time for my wallet since I restarted my HiFi-Hobby ...

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Hey Nick,

I'm actually owning the Oppo HA-1 together with an LCD3, which is working well so far, but still in the burning in period. As I made a trade off with a friend for the design of loudspeakers the Oppo will go anyway and will be replaced by Auralic Taurus MKII+Vega or by a Woo Audio WA7. I keep you posted as soon as I can make the comparison. I'll be for trail listening at Auralic within the next two weeks roughly.

Cheers

Feuergeist

Any info on how the Auralic or Woo WA7 paired up with the LCD 3's?  Are the WA7 and Taurus even comparable?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 16
Sorry, no feedback as I'm nearly on the finishing line decided to go for the Eddie Current Balancing Act together with the Auralic Vega. If I'll get my hands on a Taurus I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Feuergeist

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 16
Sorry, no feedback as I'm nearly on the finishing line decided to go for the Eddie Current Balancing Act together with the Auralic Vega. If I'll get my hands on a Taurus I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Feuergeist

Hmmm... I see that through your auditioning of things you're realizing that once you reach this "level" of components it's really not necessary to "stay with the same brand" for the simple fact that they may not match (or work as well) as other brands (that are simply better at making certain components). Reputable Companies. won't sell equipment that isn't broadly "Synergistic" with the majority of everything that's available !

If ever you're not sure if something will work with another brand, just ask one or the other .   Enjoy your new equipment.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 16
Which one of the two (HA-1 vs Taurus) would be a better match for LCD-X?

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 16
I have the Taurus and just sold the Oppo.  There's no comparison.  The Taurus is orders of magnitude superior to the Oppo in every way.  But we're just talking amp against amp.  I have no idea about the Oppo vs your sound card into the Taurus.  For all I know, the Oppo may be superior in that comparison.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 16
  Does anyone know how the Ragnorak compares to the Tarus? (For the LCD-3)'s or in general

I can't comment with regards to the LCD-3's, but I preferred the Ragnarok to the Taurus MKII, just marginally, for the HD800 (both fed by first a Concero HD and then Auralic Vega for comparison sake). However, I found the Taurus to be the better amp technically, as I heard more detail and more holographic sound out of that. In the other forum we are not meant to speak of, some speculate there is some internal crossfeed in the Taurus.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 16
Setup A: PC Foobar>Oppo HA-1 DAC> Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier
Setup B: PC Foobar>Oppo HA-1 DAC> XLR ICs>Auralic Taurus Mk ii

On this test setup I eliminated differences in DAC by just using one, and it was easy to switch back and forth as Oppo HA-1 lets you set the fixed line out with the HP out still variable.

Taurus Mkii: My initial impressions necessitated a bifurcation of SE and XLR outputs to headphones.  I found that my HD800 on a single ended connection sounded much better on the Taurus MKii.  I checked out the specs and it was clear why, since the Taurus is super powerful at 32 ohms.  I also don't think IEMs sound that great.  It's almost like too much power.  This was with the SE846 which really doesn't need that much juice.  Anyway, so for single end terminated HPs there's really no competition (winner Taurus). Check out the specs below.  You see the standard SE connections are much more powerful through the Taurus.  

Auralic Taurus MKii
STD Mode
32ohm 4500mW 
120ohm 1200mW 
300ohm 500mW 
600ohm 250mW 

BAL Mode  
32ohm 1200mW 
120ohm 4500mW 
300ohm 2000mW 
600ohm 1000mW

Oppo HA-1

RCA Input - 6.35 mm 
32 Ohm 500 mW
600 Ohm 200 mW 

Balanced Output  
32 Ohm 2000 mW
600 Ohm 800 mW 

Balanced mode however I think it's much closer.  I still prefer the Auralic as I think the sound is less sharp but still detailed.  I went back and forth and set the volume to be pretty equal so it's a fair playing field.  The Oppo definitely sounded clearer, with more piercing details.  Those could get fatiguing after a while on the HD800s.  I think on the LCD2.2's they are more acceptable, but it feels like I'm fitting a square peg into a round one.  I liked the pairings for both HD800 and LCD-2.2's better with the Taurus.  I like how they tuned things down a little on the top end so it was a more pleasurable listening experience.  

TLDR: But that said, I think on balanced connections I like both.  On SE connection Taurus for sure.  But the other factor is that the Oppo HA-1 is super duper flexible and powerful.  Very well finished and has a remote even through bluetooth app.  This thing is so well designed.  Auralic is basic and better.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back