Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #3,226 of 5,414
  Also noticed that when I have the sample rate correct on MIDI, bit rate will show up correct as well.  For example, sample rate set to 44.1 for mp3 and FLAC files with 16 bit, HA-1 show Audio Format as PMC 44.1/16.  When playing HD tracks and adjusting MIDI, PCM sample and bit rate is also correct (192/24 for example).

This is true for me only to a certain extent...What music client are you using?

For example, I have Audio MIDI set at 44.1/32bit and when I use iTunes, my HA-1 correctly shows 44.1/16 with standard redbook Apple Lossless files. When I play mp3's of any sample rate/bit depth, the HA-1 always shows 44.1/32. When I play an Apple Lossless file encoded in 96/24, the HA-1 still shows 44.1/32.

Anything and everything I play using Vox (lightweight audio app) shows 44.1/32 on the HA-1.

Is there any way Oppo can fix this via a firmware update on their end or is it strictly a software issue?

Also, does BitPerfect remedy this on the HA-1?

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #3,227 of 5,414
This is true for me only to a certain extent...What music client are you using?

For example, I have Audio MIDI set at 44.1/32bit and when I use iTunes, my HA-1 correctly shows 44.1/16 with standard redbook Apple Lossless files. When I play mp3's of any sample rate/bit depth, the HA-1 always shows 44.1/32. When I play an Apple Lossless file encoded in 96/24, the HA-1 still shows 44.1/32.

Anything and everything I play using Vox (lightweight audio app) shows 44.1/32 on the HA-1.

Is there any way Oppo can fix this via a firmware update on their end or is it strictly a software issue?

Also, does BitPerfect remedy this on the HA-1?

Been though this with the HA-1 with a previous 'issue' I had earlier in the thread. After some trouble shooting and back and forth with Oppo Digital I feel 100% confident that the HA-1 only plays what it's being fed.

If the HA-1 isn't displaying the bit rate/sample rate you expect it will be a software issue.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #3,228 of 5,414
When using the Audio Midi Panel to set the bit rate/sample rate for, it will override any native file specs, i.e. up/down-sample & pad/truncate the bitdepth if necessary to output the stream at the chosen setting.

One of the main reason to use something like BitPerfect is to switch that setting on-the-fly on a per-file basis instead. However it, and any software like it, may occasionally not determine a file's bit rate/sample rate correctly, though it happens rarely, and there's probably a technical reason for it.

For instance with BitPerfect, for me the switch to 32-bit depth strictly happens with lossy compressed files, and more specifically variable bitrate ones (but the sample rate remains correct). I have never had any issue displaying & playing back a stream correctly from a properly encoded LOSSLESS file, at ANY bit rate / sample rate, on the HA-1, or any other DAC I've owned (as long as it supported the rates)

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,229 of 5,414
My source is a 2TB Zen music player feeding the HA-1 via USB (controlled via iPeng app). If the Zen is set to full volume the HA-1 displays the correct details but if I reduce the volume of the Zen 16bit display changes to 24bit and 24bit changes to 32bit.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #3,230 of 5,414
My source is a 2TB Zen music player feeding the HA-1 via USB (controlled via iPeng app). If the Zen is set to full volume the HA-1 displays the correct details but if I reduce the volume of the Zen 16bit display changes to 24bit and 24bit changes to 32bit.

Sounds like to me that Zen is using digital volume which is 32 bit when it is in use. Volume control on the HA-1 unit is always analog.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #3,231 of 5,414
I had the same issue with my Bifrost when I first purchased it. I purchased Audioquest Forest USB cables and they helped a little. Then I purchased a Schiit Wyrd USB Interface and it fixed the issues for good. I've since replaced my Bifrost with an HA-1. I don't have the issues with my HA-1 either.

Just an update that I've replaced the cable and now everything is running perfectly. I'm still unsure why the cable was causing issues because the same cable works flawlessly with my bifrost

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #3,232 of 5,414
Thanks for the update.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #3,233 of 5,414

Just an update that I've replaced the cable and now everything is running perfectly. I'm still unsure why the cable was causing issues because the same cable works flawlessly with my bifrost

Good to hear you got it sorted.  I should have noted that YMMV depending on your computers config.  I tend to run a lot of USB devices so I think that was my issue.  And the power to USB on most computers is abysmal.

On that note...  The HA-1 is one sweet DAC isn't it?  I've been very pleased with the results since I purchased mine.  And the headphone amp just kills it.  

ENJOY! 

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #3,234 of 5,414
After three days of listening to this unit with my LCD 2.2 pre/fazor, I absolutely love it. I'm sure that at 62 years old that this is my end unit. I know that I could get better, but the cost does not make any sense to me.

It is like my motorcycles. I have a 125 cubic inch cruiser(2053cc). I ride my 650cc scooter all the time!!
g

Audience(house on the hill) never sounded so good !!

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #3,235 of 5,414
  After three days of listening to this unit with my LCD 2.2 pre/fazor, I absolutely love it. I'm sure that at 62 years old that this is my end unit. I know that I could get better, but the cost does not make any sense to me.

It is like my motorcycles. I have a 125 cubic inch cruiser(2053cc). I ride my 650cc scooter all the time!!
g

Audience(house on the hill) never sounded so good !!

+1 Great to hear that. I love the Oppo HA-1, one of the best investments I ever made. I use mine with an LCD3. cheers

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #3,236 of 5,414
Hi, I have the HA-1 and need a recommendation.  Does anyone know of any devices out there that I can stream wav and flac files from my Android phone over WiFi that I can connect to the HA-1 to use as a dac?  Although bluetooth works well, I am looking for  loss-less streaming.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,237 of 5,414
Hi, I have the HA-1 and need a recommendation.  Does anyone know of any devices out there that I can stream wav and flac files from my Android phone over WiFi that I can connect to the HA-1 to use as a dac?  Although bluetooth works well, I am looking for  loss-less streaming.

Something like this perhaps.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3,238 of 5,414
I'm interested in this DAC, but have a quick question.

If I have powered speakers connected to the RCA out; and I plug-in headphones at the front port, the speakers aren't automatically muted? 

I have Sony's UDA-1 DAC, and that's the behaviour it does, when headphones are connected, the speakers are muted as it automatically switch modes. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #3,239 of 5,414
No it doesn't do that unfortunately

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,240 of 5,414
  I'm interested in this DAC, but have a quick question.

If I have powered speakers connected to the RCA out; and I plug-in headphones at the front port, the speakers aren't automatically muted? 

I have Sony's UDA-1 DAC, and that's the behaviour it does, when headphones are connected, the speakers are muted as it automatically switch modes. 

Here's how it can be done:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back