Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #2,011 of 5,414
Understood - but the computer is downstairs and I'm asking how to access its hard drive music files without resorting to a very limited 16 bit system like Sonos.

I want to hard wire something (not a laptop because of the noise) into the Ha-1 upstairs - like a NAS or external 3.5" drive etc.  

The only 24 bit music networkers / streamers all seem to be big money - hundreds of pounds though undoubtedly excellent and competent, much of that is wasted on duplicated functionality.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2,012 of 5,414
  Just bumping my post from page 133. PLEASE!!!! I need help.

Confused and wanting to get the full potential of this amazing unit, but finding so much complexity in todays options. I need advice!

thanks for reading. Suggestions welcome.

As the above poster already replied, it is nothing complex as the unit is intended to be used with a computer or as you already know, pair it expensive music streamer if your music collection is stored in external hard drive.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,013 of 5,414
Understood - but the computer is downstairs and I'm asking how to access its hard drive music files without resorting to a very limited 16 bit system like Sonos.

I want to hard wire something (not a laptop because of the noise) into the Ha-1 upstairs - like a NAS or external 3.5" drive etc.  

The only 24 bit music networkers / streamers all seem to be big money - hundreds of pounds though undoubtedly excellent and competent, much of that is wasted on duplicated functionality.

How about the ha-1 to a mini laptop which is on a wireless network to your downstairs laptop. ..

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,014 of 5,414
OK  - seems like there's a natty thing called a "Liv - Wave" which is based on a cubox, but adapted specifically for audio only and to work essentially as an ethernet to USB adapter, but at very high sampling rates. If this performs as claimed, it would appear to satisfy a considerable number of people who have been just a tad disappointed that this outstanding Ha-1 unit lacked the final streaming connectivity options already used on the blu-ray players i.e. ethernet connection - plug a NAS straight into it and play.

1) Liv Wave  from £149 GBP
2) SOtM sMS-100 Network Streamer (alot more... £399 at least??)

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,015 of 5,414
  OK  - seems like there's a natty thing called a "Liv - Wave" which is based on a cubox, but adapted specifically for audio only and to work essentially as an ethernet to USB adapter, but at very high sampling rates. If this performs as claimed, it would appear to satisfy a considerable number of people who have been just a tad disappointed that this outstanding Ha-1 unit lacked the final streaming connectivity options already used on the blu-ray players i.e. ethernet connection - plug a NAS straight into it and play.

1) Liv Wave  from £149 GBP
2) SOtM sMS-100 Network Streamer (alot more... £399 at least??)

If you're not familiar with computers and networking, I would look for something simpler.

I agree with the previous recommendations for using a PC or laptop connected to the HA-1.  Both the Intel NUC or FoxConn NanoPC would be extremely small and less expensive than your solution above.  As others have suggested, you can then run Foobar2000 and the Android client of your choice to control it.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,016 of 5,414
  Just bumping my post from page 133. PLEASE!!!! I need help.

Just want to connect music files source to the USB 2 at the back and select what file to listen to using an android app. 

Source might be:
1) External Hard drive (but how to convert to USB 2 and select what files to listen to)
2) NAS - same questions as #1
3) My windows hard drive downstairs. 

If I use a powerline plug ethernet transport up to the room with the HA-1, how do I convert the powerline ethernet signal into the asynchronous USB 2 at the back of the unit and select which file to listen to without buying hundreds of ££ worth of additional music streamer like Cambridge audio, or Naim etc (many of which have DAC's etc of their own!)

Confused and wanting to get the full potential of this amazing unit, but finding so much complexity in todays options. I need advice!

thanks for reading. Suggestions welcome.

Call Oppo support. They're the best qualified to help with your questions.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,019 of 5,414
Taking the plunge...my wife wanted some ideas for Christmas, and I've been sniffing around a few different options. Liked the sound of the Audeze LCD-3 (very listenable, though kind of a small soundstage) Was considering the Tesla T1, but am not sure it it will be too bright for me (I prefer a slightly warmer, organic sound). 

So I hope Santa will bring a shiny new PM-1 and HA-1 amp!

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #2,022 of 5,414
As a Supremus Member I'm surprised by your question...none-the-less

My answer for you is (as I just tested) do a thread search for SQ.

Here is one post for reference ... #248...enjoy

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back