Opinions please, which is the better cheap power cable?
Sep 27, 2019 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
Normally I do not partake in junk like this but I feel this is par for the course here. This is just going on an applet TV. Of course I do not want to spend a lot for this. Thus, I am able to obtain the AQ cable for nothing as well. which do you think would serve it better? With the Viborg I would be using an IEC>C7 adapter.

Viborg: https://www.amazon.com/Hi-end-Audio...1_1?keywords=B07RVDPJ3B&qid=1569567143&sr=8-1
It's wire: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CZH-Brand-...e-Power-Cord-for-HIFI-AUDIO-DIY-/192505410593
Of course the Oyaide are knockoffs but I hear they are a 1:1 copy.

The Audioquest. https://www.audioquest.com/ac-power/ac-power-cables/nrg-series/nrg-z2
I believe the one it replaced(NRG 1.5) was actually a better cable in fact and you can still get them.

I do not care about the weight. I will support it. I am just guessing in general, for digital the Viborg is a better cable. 10AWG,Teflon,Oyaide(knockoff) ETC. The AQ is 14AWG, PVC,molded connectors ETC. It is AQ's lowest end cable with their range going to $25,000 so it doe snot speak to much. Plus AQ's markup is huge, hence my getting it 1/4 price. Viborg is direct Chinese pricing. I really do not know which makes for a better cable though because I have never dabbled in cables this inexpensive before. However I am not about to throw Odin II on the apple box either.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help

Sep 27, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 6
Well, since no one replied I am just guessing that the Viborg is a lot better cable than the bottom of the line grossly overpriced AQ. In fact complete overkill for the ATV4K. This cable being $35(yes, not kidding those silly Chinese folks) I have no qualms about throwing it on there. would I put it on a MSB Select DAC II loaded or similar component? In a word, no. Now, Viborg does make a cable that perhaps I would! It is called Kanas. It is only $2,200USD and is said to easily beat Odin II! Seems very interesting to me. I am certainly going to order one and try it. If it is better than all my Odin II investment I will just have to go kick myself then!

I would sure like to hear others opinions about this though. Please do refrain from "Chinese junk", fake,ripoff or what have you. I am not welcoming that in this post and if that does occur mods please lock it abruptly! FYI, AQ is Chinese as well, selling $50,000USD cables to boot! You want to discuss Monster too? Please stick to the topic. If anyone even replies at all.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Nevermind. That cable is actually made by Audiocrast in China. A subsidiary of Viborg. After extensive research, it turns out that it is a $2 industrial bulk "OFC" wire. Nothing any Audiophile would want. In fact you can even obtain these cables 100% free! Yes, that is correct. I am not saying how because it is not legal. Typical Chinese. They are bound by no US rules/laws. The Aqdioquest wins this one. Probably marginally anyways but hey it is just an apple TV we are talking about here. I just learned why I never went looking for cheap cables before. The Audioquest as their least expensive power cord is MSRP $275, street price $230. I count myself lucky then to be paying less than 1/4 of that since I know the distributer. I have no other Audioquest. I liken them to Monster but by no means this counterfeit stuff. My systems are either Odin II or Crystal Ultimate dream. This thread is considered time wasted, lesson learned, and over. I hope this helps someone else. I certainly hope this does not get deleted by the mods at least. If I get a warning, this was honestly by mistake. I stumbled upon it. It is what it is. Not my fault. It is not like I am making this junk.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Signal Cable makes nice quality power cables for around $100 or less. I own 2 of them. I can’t confirm if the sound is improved but they are built tough and basically bullet proof. It’s as if they are built to last more than 100 years. You can probably pass these cables on to your grandchildren in your will.

Be aware that they are thick like garden hoses so it may not fit close to a wall.

http://www.signalcable.com/

I also have a hospital grade power chord and they are designed to be reliable and basically failure proof with extra attention to detail. I like hospital power chords because it’s kind of cool having something that you would see in a hospital or some medical facility. You can easily find them on the internet.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Nevermind. That cable is actually made by Audiocrast in China. A subsidiary of Viborg. After extensive research, it turns out that it is a $2 industrial bulk "OFC" wire. Nothing any Audiophile would want. In fact you can even obtain these cables 100% free! Yes, that is correct. I am not saying how because it is not legal. Typical Chinese. They are bound by no US rules/laws. The Aqdioquest wins this one. Probably marginally anyways but hey it is just an apple TV we are talking about here. I just learned why I never went looking for cheap cables before. The Audioquest as their least expensive power cord is MSRP $275, street price $230. I count myself lucky then to be paying less than 1/4 of that since I know the distributer. I have no other Audioquest. I liken them to Monster but by no means this counterfeit stuff. My systems are either Odin II or Crystal Ultimate dream. This thread is considered time wasted, lesson learned, and over. I hope this helps someone else. I certainly hope this does not get deleted by the mods at least. If I get a warning, this was honestly by mistake. I stumbled upon it. It is what it is. Not my fault. It is not like I am making this junk.
How do you know this is $2 bulk OFC wire? Have you taken it apart and analyzed it, or are you simply repeating what someone else has claimed? I've seen these Chinese-made cables and they're pretty impressive. The fit and finish is much, much better than a lot of so-called high-end American made cables costing 2-4x more.

*This is the cable per their website: http://www.audiocrast.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=126

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 6
I use pangea cords. Get them on Amazon for $25-$60 bucks depending on the length. Cheap so give them a try. They are very well made. The only time I honestly thought I could tell any difference at all was using it on a plasma tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back