Opinions Please On this Combo - tanx
Oct 18, 2006 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mADmAN

500+ Head-Fier
im finally gonna spend some hard earned cash (really hard earned as i havent slept at all in 2 days due to work !!! (going on 3 days now)
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
) on upgrading my audio here in the office. so i was thinking of treating myself to these items and would appreciate some opinions on the combo

1/ Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
2/ Little Dot II + amp

main usage would be listening to metal such as Devildriver, Otep, Cradle of Filth, Korn n all those screamers... and also gaming (UT2004 and NFSMW is my current most often played). im the kind that likes to blast my music loud as to fully enjoy metal songs
biggrin.gif
my sound card would be the Audigy 2 ZS and i have no plans on upgrading the soundcard.

i like my headphones to be open headphones. reason being so that i can still hear people calling me in the office when i have my cans on and not blasting my music. i also wear my cans for long periods of time.

i also like my headphones to sit AROUND my ears and not on them. after reading many reviews i find that the DT990PRO suits me nicely or a (much!) cheaper alternative would be the AT AD400.

im currently using the Philips HP250 headphones and theyve taken every drop, throwing, spank, kick and punch ive given it for a year now and theyre still running fine. meaning i also need sumthin durable
biggrin.gif

so do give opinions pls. im open to other suggestions as well (around the same price range or cheaper)

thanks in advance

Oct 18, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 7
IIRC DT990Pro has bit recessed midrange, which isnt good for metal. Takes some life out of guitars. DT990 '05 (aluminum colored) is totally different story and should be fantastic for metal, but its more costlier than old Pro model.

Grado is fantastic headphone for rock and metal, but it goes on top of your ears (and is quite uncomfortable at first till you bend the headband little bit and let your ears get used to them) and is very bad for gaming due to small soundstage.

Oct 18, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 7
A second for the '05 DT990. Great metal sound, almost stupidly comfortable.

Oct 18, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 7
I have both the LDII+ and the DT990 05. The combo works good, but lacks slightly some compusure with fast paced, complex, bass heavy music - when compared to the Corda Aria / DT990 combo. I actually prefer the synergy between the MS2i and LDII+. As you're a metal fan, you might want to check out the Grado SR225. I would imagine that would match the LDII+ very well for your music tastes.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 7
thanks for the opinions guys...

ive checked out the price on an online store (thomann) and bloody hell the dt990 05 are twice the price of the pro! ouch. so thats definately out of the question....

as for the grado (or alessandro or others of the likes) i know that theyre good for my music but like i said..i want my headphones that sit AROUND and not on my ears.. ive never liked my cans to sit on my ears. found them to be extremely uncomfortable

any other recommendations? the DT990 pro & the LD2+ combo is the max i can afford. so other options around the same price would be nice. i cant afford to go any higher as i also have to replace a broken 12" subwoofer in my car
frown.gif

anyone has any thoughts on the Audio Technica AD400? think itll be good if paired with the LD2+ for metal?

thanks

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Can you afford Audio Technica A900? I dont remember what that one costs, but its one of best gaming headphones, and should work well enough for metal. Midrange is bit questionable as some claim that it too has recessed midrange, and some disagree.
DT990 Pro isnt THAT bad for metal and is good headphone overall.

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 7
actually i could.... but the A900 are closed cans IIRC. AT designates theyre closed cans with the A and open cans with the AD.

anyway, ive desided to go a much cheaper route as my car ICE just died on me last night sigh.

so..current combo in mind...

Audio Technica AD400 + LDM

-or-

Audio Technica AD400 + Dr. Head (digital headamp) - not too sure if this is the brand of the digital amp... i think this is the one..have to take a 4 hour drive to make sure :p

or mebbe ill just buy both amps
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back