Opinions on the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus
The DT990 Pro 250ohm has been around for some time now, so I picked up a pair for just over £100 online. The general opinion online is that they are too bright, with too much emphasis on the treble. Other than that, people seem to like them.

My opinion is that with my most direct comparison, the AKG K702, they are maybe a bit brighter, but it is the bass that is more noticeable with the DT990s. I don't get the recessed midrange that some reviews refer to, the V of enhanced bass and treble and recessed mids, that some refer to. Compared to the K702, they are very similar with the most noticeable difference being the louder bass on the DT990s.

I agree with opinions on comfort, with soft pads and a tight clamp, that quickly reduces with a few hours of listening.

Some things that I cannot find much in the way of opinion on are amping and types of music.

Regarding amping, I find they sound dull and then turn up the volume from where my other headphones normally sound fine and there is a sudden jump in clarity. I presume that is to do with the 250 ohms, these cans need some power to properly drive them.

Regarding types of music, compared to my AKG K27I Mkii, K702 and Grado SR80s, the DT990 Pros get lost with wall of sound, poorly recorded music, especially punk and metal. I often find there is a high pitched zinging in the background, some sort of distortion creeping through. I find the likes of Killing Joke almost un-listenable to on the DT990s. If the music is gentler, and better recorded, the DT990s sound amazing. Peter Gabriel and my favourite band of the moment, Carptree, sound almost 3-D in their lifelikeness. More than any other headphones I have listened to, the DT990s reveal the recording, which is a good and bad thing.

So, in some ways my opinion follows the crowd and in others there is no crowd opinion I can find. But, for even with teh faults, I am happy spending just over £100 on the DT990 Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back