Opinions on E3's and EX71's (or others) vs. PortaPros
Feb 1, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #31 of 34
I would have to advise you to go ahead and get the Shure E3C if your budget allows. I own the PortaPro, E2C, and Senn PX200s. Out of those phones, I now listen to the E3C and Senn PX200s almost exclusively. The E2 is a great headphone, but somehow the bass is kind of muddy. Can't really put my finger on it, but it is somehow muddy. To my ears, the same deal with the PortaPros. I bought the Ety ER4P at one point in time, but ended up returning them due to comfort issues. I would classify the E3C in the same sonic league at the ER4P, but with a different sound signature. I have found them to be -very- comfortable. In addition, it seems to me that the cabling that comes from the Y up to the phones is a bit thinner and softer than that on the E2C. The phones themselves are lighter as well. I really can't recommend them highly enough. I guess I am just a Shure-Head at this point because I think even if I still had my ER4P, I would listen the E3 instead. I just find them alot more -fun-, and to me, that's what music is all about. Besides, you will be saving money in the long run by just going for the E3, because if you order the E2 and keep reading this forum, you are gonna wonder what you are missing and buy the E3 anyways
wink.gif
Sorry about your wallet.

Feb 1, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #32 of 34
Well, I did order the e3c, so we'll see how that goes. I'm interested to hear that you prefer the PX200's over the PortaPros. While I like the sound out of my PortaPros, they are sometimes uncomfortable. My foam pads are also now wearing out, and while I know that replacements are available, with shipping they end up costing a significant percentage of the cost toward new headphones. Hmm... Well, if I like the e3c's enough, I probably will use them as my primary headphones anyway. And if I don't, I'll probably send them back and have plenty of money to buy replacement pads for my PortaPros.

Feb 2, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #34 of 34
Thanks for the tip, LTUCCI1924. I picked up some pads today at Radio Shack, and they work great! Not exactly the same as the original pads for the PortaPros, I think, but they sound good and feel comfortable, which is enough for me. Now I just have to wait for my new e3c's! They could come as early as Monday, but I'm thinking Tuesday is a better bet, assuming Todd the Vinyl Junkie had them in stock when I ordered.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back