Opinions for IEM
Jan 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

audionewbie1

New Head-Fier
Recently my UE TF10 socket connector spoilt, so I am thinking of reshelling it and adding a mid driver.
However the price of it including doing an ear impression will be around the same price as a Heir Audio 4.Ai.
Just wondering how will a custom TF10 with added mid drivers compared to the 4.Ai?
Hows the clarity and seperation of sound of both IEM?
I think the tf10 has great clarity and the seperation of sound is pretty obvious.
Im quite confused now actually...too many factors to consider when purchasing, moreover they are not cheap too.
One thing im concern about with reshelling is that I dont know the lifespan of my current TF10 drivers. 
They are still working before i spoil the connectors though. =/

Would appreciate the help, thanks!

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Just wondering how will a custom TF10 with added mid drivers compared to the 4.Ai?
Hows the clarity and seperation of sound of both IEM?
I think the tf10 has great clarity and the seperation of sound is pretty obvious.

Can't say for sure honestly. Factors to consider when reshelling :

1) Type of mid driver added to the existing TF10 drivers.
2) The tuning done by the reshelling company.
3) General difference in sound between universal and custom IEM.

Also to consider :
1) Your sound signature perferences.
2) Whether you actually like 4.Ai's sound signature or not.
3) Whether you want to retain TF10's sound signature or not.

I personally would just pick one of these choices :
1) Repair the TF10's socket connector.
2) Buy a brand new custom.
3) Buy a new universal IEM.
4) Or if you like how the TF10 sounds, reshell it without adding more driver. Note that there will still be slight difference in how the reshelled TF10 sounds compared to the normal TF10 due to shape, material, design and build differences.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Can't say for sure honestly. Factors to consider when reshelling :

1) Type of mid driver added to the existing TF10 drivers.
2) The tuning done by the reshelling company.
3) General difference in sound between universal and custom IEM.

Also to consider :
1) Your sound signature perferences.
2) Whether you actually like 4.Ai's sound signature or not.
3) Whether you want to retain TF10's sound signature or not.

I personally would just pick one of these choices :
1) Repair the TF10's socket connector.
2) Buy a brand new custom.
3) Buy a new universal IEM.
4) Or if you like how the TF10 sounds, reshell it without adding more driver. Note that there will still be slight difference in how the reshelled TF10 sounds compared to the normal TF10 due to shape, material, design and build differences.

Hi thanks for the reply. I am considering to do reshelling+driver adding service with UM, if you have any idea how that product will come out please give me some opinions.

I have never tested the 4.Ai so I am not sure the sound signature it has as compared to the TF10. 
Basically to me I think the TF10 has a good clarity of sound whereby I can clearly hear the sound from different instruments and it has a warm feeling too.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 5
Personally I don't recommend re-shelling + add driver as you won't know what the outcome will be til the end product comes out (there is no demo unit for your re-shelled + added driver IEM), plus the quality of the final product really depends on the skill of the engineer who will do the things for you. I have heard many cases that even the same re-shelling company, the final product will still be different.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Hi thanks for the reply. I am considering to do reshelling+driver adding service with UM, if you have any idea how that product will come out please give me some opinions.

I have never tested the 4.Ai so I am not sure the sound signature it has as compared to the TF10. 
Basically to me I think the TF10 has a good clarity of sound whereby I can clearly hear the sound from different instruments and it has a warm feeling too.

I don't think anyone will have any idea how the product will come out, because :
Quote:
Personally I don't recommend re-shelling + add driver as you won't know what the outcome will be til the end product comes out (there is no demo unit for your re-shelled + added driver IEM), plus the quality of the final product really depends on the skill of the engineer who will do the things for you. I have heard many cases that even the same re-shelling company, the final product will still be different.

^This. Re-shelling + additional driver is a gamble basically. You can ask the reshelling company to TRY to make it sounds like your preferences, but it's not gonna be 100% to your liking and NO ONE will know how the final product will sound like until it's finished.

If what other head-fies have said about TF10 and 4.Ai can be used as reference, they doesn't sound similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back