Opinion on type of IEM Drivers - Armature vs. Dynamic?
Aug 3, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #46 of 72
I have 2 questions. The first, why are the drivers called balanced and dynamic? Does the name indicate the sound the phones will create? (Dynamic playing different sounds through both sides and balanced producing the same sounds on doths side?) Or is it the because of a certain way they are built? or none of the above lol. Sorry if i'm way off but i'm new to this. My second question is, when buying either a balanced or dynamic IEM, does the frequency range matter? What is a good frequency range?, a range where everything will be heard. My SCL2 say 22Hz-17.5KHz. Is that any good? Or would something like 10Hz-20KHz be better? Is lower Hz better than a lower Hz, and also for KHz? Just some of my thoughts, Thanks.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #47 of 72
See the link for the IEM guide in my signature? You will find the answer of all your questions in there.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See the link for the IEM guide in my signature? You will find the answer of all your questions in there.

Thanks!, your guide is one of the best I have ever seen. Most of my questions were answered. Now I think I should look into buying some balanced IEM's better, sounds like they have higher SQ. Thanks!
atsmile.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #49 of 72
to be clear all of the following is mearly a personal opinion.

i have just purchased some sennheiser IE6's due to finantial limitations after testing the IE8's. i have used armature driver earphones of both single and multi driver variants. after really thinking about it i dont nead to hear my music on such a clinical level, infact i dont want to. i fell i have become disconected with the feel and emotion of music due to putting it under a microscope all the time, i want music to do as the artist intended and invoke feelings. i there for deliberatly went for a dynamic IEM with the understanding that they provide a warmer full more alive reproducion insted of somthing so synthetic and robotic and the soundstage is staggering for £90. i think that i have made the right choice for me. i still use my old shures and UEs from time to time but for every day use i dont want to be so attentive to detail i just want to be absorbed.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #50 of 72
Scriv

same though here... most of the time, i listen to music to enjoy and not to analyze it... most of BA's have very analytic nature, thats why they have this robotic/synthetic side
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #51 of 72
i have used tons of earphone and many of them are armature and many of them are dynamic. I am using the klipsch image x10 (armature) and the Sennheiser ie7 (dynamic) as examples. I tend to favor dynamic drives more. why? because the sound stage. dynamic sounds much wider and has a much more depth than the armature. its bass is also much more puchy and low. however the dynamic drives just doesn't have the sparkling high that armature driver offers. armature drives are more about detail then the soundstage. the image x10 for example have much more instrument playing in the background, but not by much. the soundstage is also very thin comparing to my ie7, the bass becomes distorted when drives hard. overall, dynamic drives will give you a much warmer sound vs the detail armature.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have used tons of earphone and many of them are armature and many of them are dynamic....

I don't freaking care how many earphones you have used, but it is totally uncool to dig up old threads and post the same stuff over and over again for post counts!!!
angry_face.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a bold-faced lie. How could anyone respect a company that would say something to blatantly false?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats what i was thinking, ive tested 20hz-50hz tones through a numerous amount of my phones and the better ones such as ue10,se530 and super fi 5 pro i could hear tones at about 25hz, any lower was very difficult to hear.

and its not just the multi driver iems where sub bass could be heard i just pointed them out for reference because the multi drivers, particularly dual drivers tend to amplify the sub bass more.

that claim that armatures cannot produce below 150hz is just strange, surely they know they are lying...or have we read it wrong?
etysmile.gif

I believe the statement was intended to say that their products will out perform any that have difficulty accurately reproducing the range below 150hz.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some time ago, i was looking for some company who make balanced armatures !

Maybe this can be a nice DIY project ...

There is one with a LOT of diferent Balanced Armatures, and some armature combination can make a nice IEMs

Subminiature Speakers

SubminiatureSpeakers.jpg

Look at TWFK-30017-000. It's a dual armature unit designed for pro in-ear audio. For $103, you can order a pair. Solder some wire, throw on some tips and come up with a way to keep it in your ear and you've got true value.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by FYDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the statement was intended to say that their products will out perform any that have difficulty accurately reproducing the range below 150hz.

I think it's pretty sketchy. They seem to at least imply that balanced armatures in general are not accurate below 150hz.

Just as an example, the Klipsch X10's are a single armature, and are very clean from 25hz all the way to 16Khz. There is trance song with a 16Khz tone in my playlist, and the X10 definitely reproduces it. They show 5Hz-19Khz on their spec sheet, which I think it pushing it. But 25hz-16Khz is definitely there.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #58 of 72
Dynamic drivers need space and chamber for good sounding. But it's hard to come by with IEMs. Both Sony and Senh are doing great on this matter (with IE series.)
But generally speaking, armature driver is easier to do decent job for IEMs.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by -[ DanieL ]- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not that easy. You "need" to develop a crossover chip and tune the drivers.
tongue_smile.gif

You're mistaken.
TWFK-30017-000 is dula drivers combined into single unit which needs only one set of input. Just soldering up, and it'll work with both drivers.
The problem is you need to build a shell and pipe for it. Futher, you'll have to test the damping effect with different materials yourself, since the 3k and 6k Hz highs need tuning for good sound.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #60 of 72
I thought until this year that BAs were the only method capable of providing a natural sound in an IEM. However, since the release of the Senn IE series, and seeing their success and broader increase in quality in "lesser" IEMs such as the Nuforce NE-7M, Monster Turbines, etc., I am becoming a fan of dynamic drivers (but only the newer generation). I keep thinking the dynamics may have an easier time with phase coherency since there is not a crossover, but whatever, I enjoy the music through them a lot.

I still love my SE530 and Triple.fi, but the recent dynamic driver IEMs are where I am spending more of my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back