Opera Recommendations
Jun 3, 2007 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been very intrigued by the few opera selections I have picked up lately. Can someone make some recommendations for further listening. Like I said what I have heard so far is limited, so feel free to start with the basic/ essential listening. Please be specific as to the actual disc which best represents that piece of work- in your opinion, anyway. Thanks.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been very intrigued by the few opera selections I have picked up lately. Can someone make some recommendations for further listening. Like I said what I have heard so far is limited, so feel free to start with the basic/ essential listening. Please be specific as to the actual disc which best represents that piece of work- in your opinion, anyway. Thanks.

Here are my recommendations for starting out.

I think the best way to jump right in is to buy entire recordings and sit down with the libretto (lyrics) the first time you listen. Some people start with highlights of recordings and that's not a bad way to go either.

Another approach would be to buy some of those "greatest hits" of opera recordings. While I don't recommend this, because you don't learn any of the storytelling aspect, there are some benefits. If you have never listened to vocal music (classical music, that is), it might take some time to get used to how classical musicians sound. I think a lot of people ask themselves why opera singers sing that way, instead of singing like people in a musical would. For myself, it took some time to learn to enjoy opera-style singing.

That said, here are my list of great places to start.

1) Turandot, but Puccini. I like the Leinsdorf recording the best. Nilsson is a powerful Turandot and Bjoerling is an all-too-often overlooked tenor. Turandot is a "power opera" with big, hard hitting stuff. I think its very tuneful for the new listener.

2) Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute), Mozart. I think the Christie recording on period instruments is a great place to start. The whole thing is kept light and fun. You almost have to have something of Mozart's in your opera collection. Others like the DePonte operas, but I think this one has the best music for the new listener.

3) Lohengrin, Wagner. I guess the Kempe recording is a good place to start, its cheap and has no real flaws. Wagner can be a tough nut to crack, his music is not always easy to listen to. Lohengrin, though, is very romantic and lush.

4) Rigoletto, Verdi. I think the Boynge recording with Sutherland and Pavarotti is a good one to pick up. The voices are familiar and the recording is excellent. Rigoletto is a good introduction to Verdi, with familiar, listenable songs.

That would get you started with some important composers with a variety of styles.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 17
excellent recommendations Vicious!
You covered most bases except perhaps "Bel Canto" which is often a good way to get into opera. A recent recording which is well done and real fun in
Donizetti "L' elisir d' amore" with Netrebko/Villazon.
It comes on DVD, which IMHO helps a lot, esp when you begin. If you don't see the story developing, at least the first couple of times you experience an opera, you are missing a big part of the show (even more so when Netrebko is on stage
evil_smiley.gif
).

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my recommendations for starting out.

I think the best way to jump right in is to buy entire recordings and sit down with the libretto (lyrics) the first time you listen. Some people start with highlights of recordings and that's not a bad way to go either.

Another approach would be to buy some of those "greatest hits" of opera recordings. While I don't recommend this, because you don't learn any of the storytelling aspect, there are some benefits. If you have never listened to vocal music (classical music, that is), it might take some time to get used to how classical musicians sound. I think a lot of people ask themselves why opera singers sing that way, instead of singing like people in a musical would. For myself, it took some time to learn to enjoy opera-style singing.

That said, here are my list of great places to start.

1) Turandot, but Puccini. I like the Leinsdorf recording the best. Nilsson is a powerful Turandot and Bjoerling is an all-too-often overlooked tenor. Turandot is a "power opera" with big, hard hitting stuff. I think its very tuneful for the new listener.

2) Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute), Mozart. I think the Christie recording on period instruments is a great place to start. The whole thing is kept light and fun. You almost have to have something of Mozart's in your opera collection. Others like the DePonte operas, but I think this one has the best music for the new listener.

3) Lohengrin, Wagner. I guess the Kempe recording is a good place to start, its cheap and has no real flaws. Wagner can be a tough nut to crack, his music is not always easy to listen to. Lohengrin, though, is very romantic and lush.

4) Rigoletto, Verdi. I think the Boynge recording with Sutherland and Pavarotti is a good one to pick up. The voices are familiar and the recording is excellent. Rigoletto is a good introduction to Verdi, with familiar, listenable songs.

That would get you started with some important composers with a variety of styles.

Thanks... all of those sound great. I will check them out ASAP. Appreciate the time put in on the recommendations.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 17
mbhaub;3008610 said:
Quote:

I have been very intrigued by the few opera selections I have picked up lately. QUOTE]

Well what did you pick up? That would help in this discussion. Did you start with Wagner, Verdi, Puccini, Mozart?

The only thing I have spent any real time with is La Traviata (Verdi)...

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 17
Pangaea;3008776 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only thing I have spent any real time with is La Traviata (Verdi)...

the natural follow up would then be the Rigoletto recommended above.

Another opera which I believe has much in common with Traviata is Bizet's Carmen. When it comes to recommend a recording of Carmen I am always in a bind: I think Carmen must be seen in flesh and blood (literally) to work. If you can find it for a reasonable price buy the film version of Carmen (with Placido Domingo, directed by Maazel). I saw it in a movie theater when it came out twenty + years ago and I still remember it as the most emotionally involving Carmen I have ever seen.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 17
calaf;3009035 said:
Quote:

the natural follow up would then be the Rigoletto recommended above.

Another opera which I believe has much in common with Traviata is Bizet's Carmen. When it comes to recommend a recording of Carmen I am always in a bind: I think Carmen must be seen in flesh and blood (literally) to work. If you can find it for a reasonable price buy the film version of Carmen (with Placido Domingo, directed by Maazel). I saw it in a movie theater when it came out twenty + years ago and I still remember it as the most emotionally involving Carmen I have ever seen.

x2 on Carmen. You'll recognize the music too.

GAD

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 17
Definitely not the top-100 hit among operas, but something that has been unfairly neglected: should prove an enjoyable listening for beginners too:

Vanessa
by Samuel Barber

This, the only opera by one of the best-loved American composers, has no reason to fall into the sidelines. I counted Amazon and found only three recordings. Barber knew voice, and this opera is a perfect showcase for a coloratura soprano. The story is a bit silly: a chick-flick opera, perhaps. But, like a good chick flick, it does offer an interesting glimse into the female psyche.

This recording is made in 1959, but sounds wonderful even by today's standards. The cast is perfect; especially the tenor Nicholai Gedda, who is appropriately suave and rakish.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 17
Though I've been listening to classical music for years, I've started listening to opera only in recent years. Among those I've listened to, I fully agree that Carmen is a good one for beginners. Another easy one is The Magic Flute. Nevertheless, I like Tosca more than Carmen or The Magic Flute. For Tosca, the Callas/De Sabata version is definitely a must-have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back