Opera – A first review
Jun 28, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #406 of 424
Hope you're right
wink.gif

How a IEM can ear a hiss that a RS-1 won't ?
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi lerio,
Richter Di is speculating about the e500 IEMs in that post, as I read it, as I see in his profile no IEMs, but I do see RS-1s which he said amongst all his other phones no hiss was to be heard. Although, I do remember iron_Dreamer in his review of the Opera also made referance as to some background hiss with the use of IEM. I defer to him and his experience and you to his review, in that regard.

However, just now again, I tested my Corda Opera Custom, coax to SB3 source and again found nothing but blackness and silence to be heard... Perhaps the AL iM716 is not sufficiently sensitive enough to pick this up? I don't know...

But I believe its safe to say Grados do not pick it up, as we have read of several Opera users without this issue with their cans...

Best regards~

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #407 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you're right
wink.gif

How a IEM can ear a hiss that a RS-1 won't ?
blink.gif

Have you PMed Richter Di with regards to his use of his RS-1s? Did you read anywhere in that thread anyone speaking of this with Grados??? I know the reviewer now with the TTVJ audition Opera has Grados, perhaps you should PM him.

Good luck~

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #408 of 424
I PM him now

If i asked here it was to have other opinons and see if that hiss sound happen for others

Quote:

Have you PMed Richter Di with regards to his use of his RS-1s? Did you read anywhere in that thread anyone speaking of this with Grados??? I know the reviewer now with the TTVJ audition Opera has Grados, perhaps you should PM him.

Good luck~

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #409 of 424
Quote:

Good point. I would highly encourage the 50%/3db custom gain increase on the Opera as I had Jan do to mine for use of my AKGs with SB3 source of 1.8mv... This had no other sonic effects other than increased gain even when I pluged in my IEMs @ 100% volume with no music playing = silence on my Opera custom!

Or maybe you should get a source that pumps out, at least, 2.2V rms
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #410 of 424
Not a problemo Morph, as I do like ALL of the versitility the SB3 offers me and dialing up the gain was an option as the fix for my sources low output with two of the cans in my collection. YMMV!!!

And its true, with my CDP output I have pleanty of headroom now
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #411 of 424
Quote:

Not a problemo Morph, as I do like ALL of the versitility the SB3 offers me and dialing up the gain was an option as the fix for my sources low output with two of the cans in my collection. YMMV!!!

And its true, with my CDP output I have pleanty of headroom now
wink.gif

Versatility? Oh, you mean remote and access to all your tunez via WiFi? Hmmm.. Got an issue walking over to the cdp and chaging that disc!!??
600smile.gif

I didn't get an option of BLUE LEDS! Hrmph!
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #412 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Versatility? Oh, you mean remote and access to all your tunez via WiFi? Hmmm.. Got an issue walking over to the cdp and chaging that disc!!??
600smile.gif

I didn't get an option of BLUE LEDS! Hrmph!
frown.gif

Squeezebox has many benefits which a CDP spinning one disk is relatively a pain in the butt in comparison. The LARGE Screen track/album/artist information / internet radio coax out as well as its DAC section isn't at all bad for simultanious use of its analoge section outs etc.Oh yeah, I do have a problem with handeling the hard copy of each and every 12 tunes played, and there is no walking involved here
wink.gif

So, which CDP did you move up to after sale of your Squeezebox Morphie???

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #413 of 424
Quote:

Squeezebox has many benefits which a CDP spinning one disk is relatively a pain in the butt in comparison. The LARGE Screen track/album/artist information / internet radio coax out as well as its DAC section isn't at all bad for simultanious use of its analoge section outs etc.Oh yeah, I do have a problem with handeling the hard copy of each and every 12 tunes played, and there is no walking involved here
wink.gif

So, which CDP did you move up to after sale of your Squeezebox Morphie???

plainface.gif
... After the SB3, I had..... a freakin' X-fi music card!
frown.gif
Bad move!
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #414 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was searching archive here to find more info about balanced ground and i fond this: balanced ground make a small hissing ???

Anybody else ear that ?

My RS-1 is VERY sensible and if it's true i'll ear it......

This has nothing to do with the balanced ground but only with electromagnetic induced current in the housing through the transformers. I tested it wich quite expensive material which blocks electromagnetic waves.

The hissing was only noticeable with my Shure E500, so no worry. Unfortunately I lost my E500 in a plane recently :frowning2: together with an iPod nano. I ordered the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro from Jan :)

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #415 of 424
Great

Thank's
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has nothing to do with the balanced ground but only with electromagnetic induced current in the housing through the transformers. I tested it wich quite expensive material which blocks electromagnetic waves.
The hissing was only noticeable with my Shure E500, so no worry.

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #416 of 424
Quote:

Good luck~

I'm TTVJ's current Opera tester. I just checked this out and definitely found hiss with no music playing using the two headphones I have available at this moment. Using the low z jack . . .
DT-880's, hiss starts at about 12:00 on high gain and is non-existent on low gain.
W5000, hiss starts at about 9:00 on high gain and about 12:00 on low gain.
I can check the RS-1's later, but the results should be nearly identical to what I hear with the W5000's.

This is not something that really bothers me, as I can't hear any hiss when music is playing. In principle, I'd prefer no hiss at any volume. In practice, it really doesn't matter (to me) as long as the hiss isn't audible at normal listening levels.

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #417 of 424
@panyncor: I find that really strange as I have been using the Opera with high sensitivity cans for the last two months and observed no hiss whatsoever. I have tried it with Grados (RS-1, RS-2), Audio Technicas (A900LTD, W5000) and found no hiss related problems. It is especially weird that you hear hiss when using Beyerdynamic DT880s. A few moments ago, as a test, I first plugged in the Grado RS-1 and then the Beyerdynamic DT990 I have on hand, switched to high gain and turned the volume all the way up. End result: absolutely black background.

Maybe there's a problem with that specific test unit that has already passed through many hands?

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #418 of 424
Dear Panyncor,

" DT-880's, hiss starts at about 12:00 on high gain and is non-existent on low gain. "

That's very strange indeed. Normally, when switched to an analog input with no source connected there should be no audible hiss with the DT880.

Hiss can normally only be heard if the amp is switched to the internal DAC with no digital input. The noise shaping of the DAC-chip is audible.

Also be aware that a source that is connected and that is "paused" (CD-player) will produce hiss that can be amplified.

Cheers

Jan

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #420 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by panyncor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT-880's, hiss starts at about 12:00 on high gain and is non-existent on low gain.​

It is usually caused by the source.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back