Opera – A first review
Feb 19, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #346 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do we need drivers for that?

on Windows XP it was (for once) truly plug-and-play. After you connect the cable, Windows recognizes the Opera as a USB soundcard and all applications that you start after that will use the Opera. On Linux (Fedora 5) the Opera also was recognized automagically, but I had to select it as the soundcard to use.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #347 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On Linux (Fedora 5) the Opera also was recognized automagically, but I had to select it as the soundcard to use.

Just out of curiosity, what does it recognize it as? (e.g. driver chipset)

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #348 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, what does it recognize it as? (e.g. driver chipset)

here is part of the output of lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 08bb:2704 Texas Instruments Japan
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 8
idVendor 0x08bb Texas Instruments Japan
idProduct 0x2704
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 Burr-Brown from TI
iProduct 2 USB Audio DAC
iSerial 0

the module is the standard snd_usb_audio (I think)

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #349 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on Windows XP it was (for once) truly plug-and-play. After you connect the cable, Windows recognizes the Opera as a USB soundcard and all applications that you start after that will use the Opera. On Linux (Fedora 5) the Opera also was recognized automagically, but I had to select it as the soundcard to use.

I'm curious to know if you can use it right after you plug it in and xp recognizes it as a soundcard... wouldln't you want to use ASIO with it, or will it work w/out it?

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #350 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofronitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to know if you can use it right after you plug it in and xp recognizes it as a soundcard... wouldln't you want to use ASIO with it, or will it work w/out it?

I am not a Windows expert by any stretch of imagination, all I can say is that I plugged the USB cable, XP "saw" the new device and offered to install the driver. After that, I popped in a CD started Media Player and good music come out of my headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #351 of 424
Quote:

ASIO doesn't work with the generic USB audio driver used by the Opera (and many other USB DAC's), so to bypass kmixer you need to use kernel streaming.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #352 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ASIO doesn't work with the generic USB audio driver used by the Opera (and many other USB DAC's), so to bypass kmixer you need to use kernel streaming.

With the Aria, I use Foobar with the Asio4all pluggin as well as installed Asio4all v2 and on there enabled asio on the 'usb audio dac' as recognised. In Foobar the output is set to 'Asio: ASIO4ALL V2'. This gives me sound without any problems. My understanding was this bypassed the kmixer as well i.e. true asio?

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #353 of 424
I haven't been able to get Kernel Streaming to work with my Aria, and I thought KS doesn't work with USB.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #354 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been able to get Kernel Streaming to work with my Aria...

Same here.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #356 of 424
Well,

No more comparisons with the Stealth and 508.24 for me as both were shipped today to their respective new owners!!

One of the downsides of relocating to a tiny Japanese appartment...

Arnaud.

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #357 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well,
No more comparisons with the Stealth and 508.24 for me as both were shipped today to their respective new owners!!
One of the downsides of relocating to a tiny Japanese appartment...

It's a pity to have to let go of that Meridian... anyway, time to update your sig
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #358 of 424
I finally hooked up the Opera as a real pre-amp today - to a pair of B&W DM601 S3 and a Sonic Impact Super T amp. The sound is astonishingly good. I was using a klipsch iFi for speaker/amp in my office, and I became increasingly dissatisfied with it. The B&W's with the T amp and the Opera are SOOOOO much better! I love headphones, but I don't awalys want to listen to them - having a speaker option at times is really nice.

Bottom line - the Opera is a nice preamp for a speaker stereo!

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #359 of 424
Quote:

It is no need the ASIO, once you plugged to the Opera thought USB; and all digital audio data will be able to convert to analogue signal by the DAC of the Opera instead. ASIO is used only when you are using the D/A of your sound card.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #360 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will most likely be picking one of these up for a friend, an Opera and a Headroom Max Amp as well. I'll post my reviews, and hopefully, neither will put my Aria to shame that much as I don't want to blow all of my tax returns on another amp. =T

I am VERY interested in your comparison between HeadRoom MAX and Opera !!!! Have you posted it somewhere ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back