OpenOffice vs. MS Office
Jan 23, 2004 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

spaceman

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone here use OpenOffice as opposed to MS Office? I just started using the word processor and find it quite a bit more user-friendly than MS Word, and I have used Word for about 8 years, and still get confused with formatting at times. Just wondering if anyone else has good luck with this office suite.

Jan 23, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 22
MMmmmm OO. Yes....it is so good. Though...standards being what they are, Word still rules the world. 'Tis sad.
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 22
I have been using OpenOffice for at least the last year or two. It is a bit of a change from MS Office, but for the times when I need to write a letter or something it works fine. The fact that it is cross-platform is a plus for me. The only thing I miss from MS Office is Access, which is a great database app but I haven't had to deal with large databases (sans the ones on my web host) for a few years so its no big deal. Otherwise OpenOffice is a smaller install, free, and easy enough to use.

Jan 23, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 22
Zanth........is that your child in the avatar?

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 22
I like OpenOffice too, especially for its cleaness. I prefer oowriter to Word -- disabling everything and just having a virtual page is so nice. Size of .sxw files compared to .doc is nice, too. I only wish it didn't take so long to start.

Excel owns OpenOffice with spreadsheets, though.

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
yes
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent! Is he/she is still enjoying womb service, or is he/she here in the world with us?

Jan 24, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 22
I've used OO since .something or other. Love it. Managed to convince parents to use it too, by means of uninstalling Word and refusing to tell them how to get it back
biggrin.gif
They like OO fine now, though.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jan 25, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Excellent! Is he/she is still enjoying womb service, or is he/she here in the world with us?

It is a he
smily_headphones1.gif
and yes he is still in the balmy luxury of his mum's tummy. May 7th is the due date. Let's hope he stays in until then...I have exams until mid-April and would like a week or two to get adjusted before he pops out. Thankfully my wife starts MAT leave just when I finish exams so we will have a few days to get all those last minute things in order (if there are any left) before I head back to work.

Jan 25, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

It is a he
smily_headphones1.gif
and yes he is still in the balmy luxury of his mum's tummy. May 7th is the due date.

Very cool. Congratulations!
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 22
I was really excited when they decided to break away from the monolithic desktop inherited from StarOffice, but I still find the interface lacking in elegance compared to MS Office (for Mac).

--Chris

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
I was really excited when they decided to break away from the monolithic desktop inherited from StarOffice, but I still find the interface lacking in elegance compared to MS Office (for Mac).

--Chris

So true. I've tried them all and actually have them all installed on one computer or another but for some reason...MS Office for MAC is SMOOTH. Really nice. I prefer Open Office on principle but the Mac team over at MS really know what they are doing. There is a reason Office is ALWAYS released on Macs first.

Feb 9, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

There is a reason Office is ALWAYS released on Macs first.

Huh? Has it ever been released first on Macs? A high executive from Microsoft once told me that the Apple market worldwide was smaller than, say, the Dutch language market for Office.

Now that Office 2003 is out, we are still waiting for Mac Office 2004.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 22
Hello, I was wondering if OpenOffice 4.0.0 is a good alternative to Microsoft Word 2013 and since there were already threads about whether or not older versions of OpenOffice were good alternatives to older versions of Microsoft Word and/or Office I thought that I would just post in one of those threads instead of creating a new one of my own so I posted in this one (even though the last post was from years ago).

EDIT: If you do not think that OpenOffice 4.0.0 is a good alternative to Microsoft Word 2013 but you know of other programs that are please tell me (they don't necessarily have to be free but it would be nice if they were). I would prefer not to spend as much money as Microsoft is asking for Word or one of the Office suites but I will if it comes down to it. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back