OpenOffice.org Sucks
Nov 7, 2007 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

nibiyabi

Headphoneus Supremus
This is the last straw. I had been dealing with the minor annoyances up until now in an effort to save money, but now I see that you get what you pay for.

This had already happened to me twice before, so I should have seen it coming, but this time it happened to me on a crucial assignment worth 20% of my grade. I really, really wish I had printed out a copy just to be safe.

You see, OOo has this little "problem" where you save a document, close the program, and then when you open it back up and open the file, it is not up to date! I lost pages and pages of analysis, and there is no document recovery system either!

OOo is total crap and I'll be ordering a copy of MSO2007 ASAP. Thanks for ****ing up my GPA, OOo.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 47
oyy, that sucks man. I'm using OO and it works fine for me and the problem you stated never happened to me, but I do send an updated copy to my email address every hour or so just to be sure.

hope your teacher is understanding of this
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oyy, that sucks man. I'm using OO and it works fine for me and the problem you stated never happened to me, but I do send an updated copy to my email address every hour or so just to be sure.

hope your teacher is understanding of this
frown.gif

He just replied to my email and it sounds like he is. I'm still pissed though -- I lost half a night's sleep to that thing.
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 47
OpenOffice is okay, but it's certainly not on a level with Office in terms of functionality, usability, or, apparently, reliability. I try to use open-source software when I can, but I gave up on OOo a few months ago after using it for several years and bought Office 2007 Ultimate for a pittance, and I couldn't be happier.

Since you're a student, be sure to buy your copy through Microsoft's The Ultimate Steal program. It's a hell of a discount.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 47
I stopped using Open Office due to its memory consumption. I find it runs much slower than Microsoft Office.

Sorry to hear about your assignment.
frown.gif
Hopefully this won't happen again.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You see, OOo has this little "problem" where you save a document, close the program, and then when you open it back up and open the file, it is not up to date! I lost pages and pages of analysis, and there is no document recovery system either!

Sounds like you're using an older version. The latest version 2.3.0, has a recovery system on it, it has since version 2.0. I never had issues with OOo, knock on wood. Hope you get you homework in on time, maybe the second version of your paper will be better
cool.gif
. Best of luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stopped using Open Office due to its memory consumption. I find it runs much slower than Microsoft Office.

That's the same reason I stopped using Open Office. Right now I'm using AbiWord, another open source, and it's working fine. It does lack some of the functionality of Microsoft Office, but it's great for simple Word documents.

And I've never had the problem you've described with Open Office. The newer version has a recovery system so I've never lost anything. *knock on wood*

And good luck with your paper!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 47
Yeah I gave it a shot, initially I was impressed, and it made me go wow this is as good...but then slowly the limitations and issues started showing... now I'm back to using Office

That said, I hate the new MS office, its ridiculous, they just shuffled everything around, the macros are great, but its a waste of time trying to find out how to do mundane tasks all over again when you are on a time crunch.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 47
There are other options besides OO that are not microsoft, and are cheap. Though, it is hard to beat that Ultimate Steals program.

Though I use Office for the majority of the stuff I do at work, I still highly prefer the Corel office suite (Wordperfect, Quatro, etc.) to Office. It's reliable and cheaper than (the non Ultimate Steals) Office Package.

Additionally, I really like Google documents. I couldn't have done my thesis on it, but 90% of the non-corporate work I currently do, including slick printouts, I do in Google Documents. I love it.

At the end of the day, I would go with that student discount for Office. If you can't do that for some reason, see if one of the other cheaper options work.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 47
It's okay for what it is, reliable enough on Linux but it's an ugly beast and slow and bloated. Abiword seems better to me but I never need a spreadsheet, powerpoint clone or database.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 47
I have used most of OpenOffice (word processing, presentations, spreadsheets) for my work. I have never really needed the database. MS Office seems quicker only because it preloads dll's at boot time. A similar effect can be had for OpenOffice in Windows with the "Quickstarter".

As a fund manager, I've had to create and edit PPMs, reports, analyses and presentations for my clients. I can certainly afford MS Office, but I learned to hate it earlier in my career.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 47
I've used OO since 1.0 and never had an issue. Guess I'm lucky? I've had it recover documents for me several times that I've lost to power surges and such. Saves every 5 minutes, sha-bam!

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 47
Multiple saves are always recommended. I also have my crucial files on both DVD and posted securely to the web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back