Opening a closed headphone.
Oct 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LaPierre

100+ Head-Fier
This question may or may not have been asked before, but looking through a few dozen pages after I searched it I got nothing on it.

So anyway, I'm wondering how the sound of a closed headphones would (most likely) change when you open it up, as in remove the back of it like a normal closed headphone would be. Anyone have a clue?

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
This question may or may not have been asked before, but looking through a few dozen pages after I searched it I got nothing on it.

So anyway, I'm wondering how the sound of a closed headphones would (most likely) change when you open it up, as in remove the back of it like a normal closed headphone would be. Anyone have a clue?

Heya,

It really depends how the driver is suspended in the housing. But otherwise, a basic rule of thumb, expect a drop in bass response, and expect an increase in sound stage.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, that's the most likely outcome. I'm just wondering how it'd effect the higher frequencies; maybe smoother highs and mids due to the lack of reverb a closed can would cause? I probably won't get many answers, so I guess I'll just have to conduct some inexpensive tests and report my findings to answer it for others who may be wondering the same 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 4
you can read the open m50 mod thread somewhere to have an idea what happened to his m50 =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back