Open headphones with Subwoofer
May 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RayleighSilvers

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.

Did a search and a couple of threads came up but they are like 5 years old and didn't really answer my questions. During that time I'm sure some people must've tried it with successful results so I ask for your insight.

I got the logitech Z523 speakers a couple of days ago. It's been a couple of years since I've listened to a pair of pc speakers and the reason I got them was so I could be more immersed while watching movies or playing games. Headphones just can't produce the bass subs do. My last speakers were some IBM 2.1's which I thought sounded fantastic but I had never listen to a good pair of headphones back then so I don't know how good they actually are.

Anyway I plugged the speakers in expecting to hear some exciting sounds and I was absolutely horrified. Seriously these speakers are terrible. The sound coming out of the speakers was like the muffled sound you hear from a telephone box. Treble was prominent and mids, especially vocals, were very recessed. The worst thing of all was the sub. To get any sort decent levels of bass you have to turn them up quite a lot, by which stage the rest of the spectrum suffers dramatically. Also the beauty of a sub is supposed to be that it can be placed anywhere. This one can't. The bass sounds like it's coming from where the sub is. It sounds completely detached from the speaker sound. Least to say it was completely unlistenable for music. For movies and games It's the same problem .Bass has no impact until I really turn it up, by which stage everything else suffers. Treble is too high so mids always sound recessed. 

It's only after trying the speakers I have appreciated how good headphones sound, even my $30 HTF600's. Headphones sound much much clearer. Obviously this was compared to a £60/$60 set of speakers, but I thought for £60/$60 they would at least sound listenable.

TL:WR - I've decided the thing to do is to try and get the best of both worlds. The clarity and balance of a headphone with the visceral impact and power of a sub. Has anyway successfully tried this without them both feeling detached? Any recommendations under $400? 

May 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Nope, I've never heard of them. Are they any good? Wont they feel detached from the overall sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back