Open headphones with good bass?
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

andy43

100+ Head-Fier
Besides the obvious Beyer DT990, what are some open headphones with a good amount of bass? I find that open headphones often lack in the bass department, at least by my standards. I'm looking for open headphones with good bass because I'm interested in headphones with a lot of soundstage to give a speaker like presentation.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 27
Perhaps Ultrasone PRO 2500 would work? Its closed version pro750 has a strong bass with very good extension.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 27
Ultrasone Pro 900? It´s closed but it has better soundstaging then any other open headphone I got incl K701. Certainly the most speaker like though it´s not quite there of course.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 27
Grados have great bass, but to hear it you need a decent amp. The upper registry is kept clean and detailed by using the open-air approach, but it loses bass leaving people to ask, "Where's the bass?" Get a decent amp (and I mean a real amp, not a toy) and you'll have bass like nobody's business, even with the SR60.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 27
if i ever feel like i need a lot of bass with my ms-1s i just crank the dial on my marantz receiver, and if i really need more I'll just turn on the loudness switch. lol

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 27
I've heard the Denon D2000 has good bass... or at least I hope so, as I have one in the mail.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Oh sorry I missed the "open" in the title.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 27
amped portapros

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 27
Sennheiser HD580/ HD600/ HD650.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados have great bass, but to hear it you need a decent amp. The upper registry is kept clean and detailed by using the open-air approach, but it loses bass leaving people to ask, "Where's the bass?" Get a decent amp (and I mean a real amp, not a toy) and you'll have bass like nobody's business, even with the SR60.

I took my 325i against my friends Senn HD 555s recently. Our if Carat-Emerald.

Grados have bass, but not the way the Senns did, I think.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took my 325i against my friends Senn HD 555s recently. Our if Carat-Emerald.

Grados have bass, but not the way the Senns did, I think.

Grados have tight impactful bass. I find that Senn is fairly slow and uncontrolled.

Although its not open, the denon line is essentially open in terms of isolation etc

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that open headphones often lack in the bass department, at least by my standards.

What are your standards for bass? Are you after bass that extends real low, bass with punch, bass with full body, real accurate and detailed bass, or what? Until you qualify what you mean by bass you are going to get a mess of crazy suggestions, like the K701 (yikes!). Combinations of bass characteristics are important as well. For example, the Grado SR series can give you some of the punch of a bass drum kick but don't actually extend down very low. The HD580/HD600 can get reasonably low but don't deliver the punch of a bass drum kick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back