Open Headphones Sound Leakage
Jan 25, 2011 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MrJay

New Head-Fier
So, I've began to consider exploring the world of high-quality audio equipment (i.e. becoming an audiophile) so I'm considering buying either Sennheiser HD555 or HD448. I was initially set on buying some Grado SR80s, but decided that comfort was slightly more important and that the difference cannot be too profound. In fact, some people seem to believe that the Sennheisers are more balanced, though their bass might not be as powerful as the Grados, especially with the HD555 as it is an open design.

Anyhow, I'm attracted to the open headphones advantage in spatial simulation, but as a college student living in a dorm, I'm concerned as to how much the sound leaks exactly, and I'm pretty sure that this question has been raised before. Usually, opinions range from "not that much" to "really loud", a difference which I attribute to people's preference for higher or lower volumes. So, I wanted to be able to hear for myself how much the sound would leak before I chose one or the other. I own a pair of HD202s and as you all probably know, they are closed. But I've considered the following question:

If I were to play music on my HD202s without wearing them, would the sound that leaks from the headphones be about the same as the sound that leaks from open headphones when worn at the same volume level? Less? More?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back