Open headphones for portable use
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ubs28

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone using open headphones for portable use?

I personally find closed headphones like the Bose QC35 II too dangerous outside to be honest. For a plane it is nice ofcourse.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 5
Have you considered iems as well? For outdoor use seems more practical with stuff like iSines or a nice earbuds, that would wouldn't isolate you to such a level.

If you are walking around in areas where you can get hit by something and need hearing ques, it makes sense to have something not isolating, but also the issue of noise in such area of lots going on. For areas that seem perfectly safe, but still has good level of out-door noise from nearby activities, something isolating makes sense to me(and just avoid wearing anything isolating in scenarios you know it's dangerous). Another consideration is, how loud your music will be due to reduction in isolation in various environments. Music also masks sounds.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 5
I tried the Audezes open “IEM” but I cannot get a good fit for some strange reason.

Expermenting with the Focal Clears at the moment as portable headphones.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 5
I tried the Audezes open “IEM” but I cannot get a good fit for some strange reason.

Expermenting with the Focal Clears at the moment as portable headphones.
Interesting, I thought iSines seemed pretty universal in fit, but walking around in those maybe a bit of an issue due to the bulk if comparing to avg iem. Portable headphone are usually closed with some on-ear compared to over-ear. I wonder if on-ear isolate generally less? Portable headphones are usually lighter, which makes sense for practical purposes.

You probably want something pretty efficient as well that a portable device can drive easily. SQ isn't probably the biggest factor if you are in an area with good amount of noise.

I wonder how less isolating Fostex TH-X00 are? They are considered semi-open.(forget it, the chord is extremely long!). That's another consideration, the chord length, and if long, detachable cables.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm in the same boat. I usually use Monk earbuds, but lately I've wanted to try headphones for my commuting. I tried IEMs but found the total isolation a little unnerving (especially in NYC!). You don't realize his much you rely on your hearing to navigate until it's taken out of the picture. I recently used my Superlux 668B and had no trouble getting around while listening at a comfortable level. The only downside is their size. I look ridiculous wearing them outside. I think the Grado SR60e would be about perfect and I will most likely pick up a pair.

A lot of people talk about sound leakage while in public. Considering all of the noise pollution we are exposed to, I don't think overhearing a little music is a bad thing. I am courteous though and if I am in a quiet area I turn it down, so as not to overly bother anyone, plus I wouldn't need it as loud anyway. If I'm somewhere that I need to turn it up to hear my music, then it's safe to say it's pretty noisy already and nobody will hear or be bothered by my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back