Open back recomendations
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 28
What headphones have you heard that you like/don't like?

What sort of classical/jazz? Small scale, large scale? Accurate or more lively sort of sound?

Equipment that goes with it matters
I have currently a grado sr325x, grado rs2x and i love them, i heard the hd600 and owned them for couple weeks but i have sent them back beucase it was damaged.

I like more of a lively sound.

AMP: little dot MKII
DAC: topping e30

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #17 of 28
I have currently a grado sr325x, grado rs2x and i love them, i heard the hd600 and owned them for couple weeks but i have sent them back beucase it was damaged.

I like more of a lively sound.

AMP: little dot MKII
DAC: topping e30
OK, good info. If you want similar sonics - AKG and AT would be where to look. I would recommend for something a bit different - planars under $500, HFM rules the roost (Sundara, XS, Ananda) - have not heard the Audeze MM-100 so perhaps those too. The XS has a lively sound and more lower bass than Grados. It can be PEQ'd to get more bass and keep its timbre unlike some cans like the HD-600 where lots of PEQ isn't tolerated. The XS and Ananda both have a good sized stage too.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 28
If you can find a pair of (used) Neumann NDH-30, I think they are worth a try, too.
They sound very good with the Schiit LYR+: very open, detailed, spacious and true-to-the-source.

Akin to what you have listed, the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home also have merit. Don't have the AKG K712 Pro, but do enjoy Classical and Jazz with the K702|65th Anniversary and [especially jazz] with the HD650.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #21 of 28
The AKG k712 pro are a bit too cold for my taste and tinny. Much preferred my old akg k6xx which are now out of production I see. Probably due mostly to non-removable cable. They're not terrible by any means, but prefer the Sennheiser hd600's. Still have akg k271mkii as closed backs, much cheaper and much worse, but not terrible either. Then another of course is Beyer dt-770 pros for closed-back. Still looking to get a pair of more upscale hifi-man closed back cans. Then I'll sell all my sub-500 dollar headphones. Right now in front of pc changing between Arya Stealth and HD600, no real need for closed back cans. But comes in handy at work and school if you're in that situation.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #22 of 28
I found the K702|65th Ann. a bit hard and disjoint, too, until I paired them with the Schiit LYR+. With the LYR+ they were neither hard nor disjoint, but open and coherent with a [beautifully balanced] tonality I hadn't thought them capable of before.

For closed, the Ultrasone 780i PRO [w/Forza AudioWorks Claire Hybrid hpc], Martin Logan Mikros 90 [w/UPOCC silver hpc] and Denon AH-D5000 all offer a surprisingly large soundstage and do classical and jazz very well, well into the wee hours.

I am currently listening to Phaëton, Op. 39 (Camille Saint-Saëns) and it sounds wonderful with the D5000!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #23 of 28
Can you link to the Lyr+? See the Lyr on the USA website, looks nice. Europe website has the Vali3 but not the Lyr. See it only on the USA website. Just as Valhalla 2 is on the European website but not the USA website. Also huge price differences. Double in Europe.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 28
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 28
That would be my choice now as stackable on modi, however how am I then get to get rid of not one but TWO! amps, magni and Valhalla 2?

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 28
K702 is legendary for j-pop and ACGs. Cannot really enjoy the HD600 because of the bass roll off, though the mid-high timbre is reference leveled. 6XX is much better. HD599 sounds really dull, but the comfort is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back