Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Oct 19, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #151 of 334
I hope you find that light at the end of the tunnel soon! I'd hate to see the clean aesthetics of the D2000 turn into a giant tape-foam-rubberband-tampon ball :p

What do you plan to do about reducing the size of the hole? Second pair of cups?

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #152 of 334
Quote:
I hope you find that light at the end of the tunnel soon! I'd hate to see the clean aesthetics of the D2000 turn into a giant tape-foam-rubberband-tampon ball :pWhat do you plan to do about reducing the size of the hole? Second pair of cups?

We'll see. Perhaps I'll stumble upon a tweak/mod that lets me keep the cups open like they are now. Honestly, though, I don't really care how my headphones look so long as they sound good! But, yeah, perhaps I'll find a second pair of cups to work with. Until then, once I find something that suits my tastes enough to make more permanent, I'll just try to keep the ghetto mods looking as nice as possible! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #153 of 334
If some Dynamat helps bring down the bass a bit and tighten it up (in some spots), and if this earpiece/headphone foam I'm getting (see a few posts back) helps with sibilance and treble, I might actually be at a stopping point in my mods...

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #154 of 334
I dont know what is your equipment but I have tube output DIY DAC and SS DIY amp, both very good SQ.
I have JMoney pads and made MarkL mods with recabling (currently with Neutrik 6.3mm jack). Bass is a lot more tight and better defined with better impact. I see absolutely no harshness in highs in that HP - maybe its fault of equipment? No idea.
It sounds much better than stock Denons for sure. Bad luck all masters of measurement are in USA - I could send them for checking hehe.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #155 of 334
Quote:
I dont know what is your equipment but I have tube output DIY DAC and SS DIY amp, both very good SQ.
I have JMoney pads and made MarkL mods with recabling (currently with Neutrik 6.3mm jack). Bass is a lot more tight and better defined with better impact. I see absolutely no harshness in highs in that HP - maybe its fault of equipment? No idea.
It sounds much better than stock Denons for sure. Bad luck all masters of measurement are in USA - I could send them for checking hehe.

I never noticed any sibilance or overly bright treble when mine were stock (closed). There were some upper mid/treble peaks, sure, but they were usually too overpowered by the rest of the sound. The open mod (including raised earpads) seems to bring those out. It shouldn't be equipment, as I'm running these with the Auzentech Bravura sound card. From what I've read, it has a fairly smooth sounding headphone amp.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #156 of 334
Some good news! I got my Dynamat in, so I will be seeing what dampening the driver and baffle will do. I will also probably redo the interior of the cups and add Dynamat in there as well (along with acoustic foam). 

What I really wanted to say is that I just cut a hole out of an unused, cheap t-shirt and placed that in front of the driver. Wow! Really helped tame the treble and removed some sibilance. I will extensively be testing material in front of the drivers from here on out, as this is obviously the way to go in "finalizing" this mod!

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #157 of 334
Finally got my T50RPs modded to a level where I'm actually really satisfied with them! How does that relate to my D2000s? Well, the T50RPs currently seem to be pretty accurate/neutral. Not perfect (nothing is), but really, really good. Good extension on both ends, nice and punchy, smooth, clean sound, etc. 

Well, with the current status of my D2000s, I can safely say that...these actually are sounding pretty similar to my modded T50RPs! My ears and brain might just be fooling me, but it's good to have a solid reference can to compare with. The D2000s so far do actually seem to be more on the neutral side, much like the modded T50RPs. The T50RPs are smoother and easier to listen to, as my D2000s still have that sibilant, bright, slightly grainy sound to them currently. I should be able to smooth that out, though. With the T50RPs as an additional reference piece of audio equipment, it's very comforting to know that I do actually seem to be on the right track!

In case anyone isn't keeping up with the T50RP modding thread, it's not uncommon to hear people claim that their modded T50RPs easily beat out headphones like the HD650 and start to touch on headphones like the LCD-2. I had to get in on that, of course, but I was also worried they would entirely dethrone my D2000s. So far, that is actually not the case. I'm extremely impressed with both pairs of headphones. Again, though, my ears and brain could be fooling me...Of course I would want my mods to sound good, so I might be a bit biased as is. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #158 of 334
I have removed the cups and vastly prefer the soundstage but I cannot figure out how to make a large enough hole in the cups. The largest size spade drill bit available is 1-1/2". I'm thinking I might make the cups entirely out of wire mesh.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #159 of 334
Quote:
I have removed the cups and vastly prefer the soundstage but I cannot figure out how to make a large enough hole in the cups. The largest size spade drill bit available is 1-1/2". I'm thinking I might make the cups entirely out of wire mesh.

I had definitely considered that! However, with the recable, I had to find a way to reduce the excess treble and sibilance. Removing ALL the paper from the back of the driver helped this. However, this made the drivers much more sensitive to tuning, so I had to dramatically reduce the size of the hole in the cups (see my ghetto mod in one of my previous posts). Otherwise, there was a nasty upper mid/lower bass hump that just made them sound funky. 

If you haven't done the recable or removed any paper from the back of the driver (except the piece in the very center, that is perfectly fine to remove), I think these are great for a completely open experience! A wire mesh cup would be pretty neat, I think. Too bad it won't work for my case. :frowning2:

I do encourage anyone having issues with sibilance or excess treble to experiment with materials placed directly in front of the driver (inside the hole of the foam donut) before taking any other measures. Again, the paper removal from the very center of the back of the driver is OK, but anything beyond that should only be considered if one is aware of the addtional changes that will be required to compensate for that.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #160 of 334
Today I nabbed some pads from a pair of cheap headphones and placed them in front of the driver.  IMO this is the best they've ever sounded
biggrin.gif
  The pads (combined with the center paper mod) have completely eliminated any excess treble and sibilance while still giving all the benefits of the open back mod.

I felt there was a minor loss in detail and the mids felt slightly recessed, but it was a very small price to pay.  The mids are still a lot more forward than stock.

Overall very happy!   

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #161 of 334
Quote:
Today I nabbed some pads from a pair of cheap headphones and placed them in front of the driver.  IMO this is the best they've ever sounded
biggrin.gif
  The pads (combined with the center paper mod) have completely eliminated any excess treble and sibilance while still giving all the benefits of the open back mod.

I felt there was a minor loss in detail and the mids felt slightly recessed, but it was a very small price to pay.  The mids are still a lot more forward than stock.

Overall very happy!   

Nice! I'm actually about to try that with some earpads I found.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #162 of 334
Just tried it with the earpads from the KSC75 (had to trim them a bit). Took out the circles I cut from the tshirt as well, so it's just the foam from the earpad in front of the driver. I was expecting it to help, sure. But what I wasn't expecting was my face going: 
eek.gif

Treble greatly smoothed out. Sibilance? What is that even?

Dramatic difference. Far beyond what I was expecting, honestly. These headphones are sick.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #164 of 334
Sometimes I feel like my ears can't make up their mind. One minute they headphones sound smooth and awesome, and the next it seems like the treble is just too bright. I think there's just a little bit of excess treble to take care of, but these are stacking up very nicely against my modded T50RPs, my EQed 2.1 setup (Dayton BR-1 bookshelf speakers and an 8" sub from TSC), and the setup I have in my car. I try to keep my bookshelf speakers as my reference, as they're the closest to neutral out of my other gear once EQed. 

Quote:
Can anyone help me find detailed step-by-step instructions to remove the pads, cables, and others of my Denon AH-D7000?

No need to worry about the cable. All you'll need to worry about is the cups and the earpads. You'll have to sift through a good bit of material, but you should find instructions in this post.

I'll try to briefly explain it here:

1. For the pads, press firmly and evenly against them with the palm of your hand and twist them counter clockwise. They should be free after that. They are held onto the frame with these plastic pegs that lock them in place, hence twisting them counter clockwise.
2. For the cups, you need to remove 4 screws. Once the earpads are removed, look for the screws inside the holes where the earpad pegs locked into place. Remove those, and the cups should pop off.

You don't need to worry about removing the driver or cable or anything like that. If you have the stock cable, I would suggest leaving it.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #165 of 334
you should test it on other equipment. Despite what others say that Denons are easy to drive., I remember that sound card (STX Essence) was adding that kind of sharpness on Beyers DT880. It could be fault of PC Audio, power supply etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back