Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Oct 3, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #106 of 334
I listen to my IEMs using my Home set up as well as my portable rig. My Home set up is a DACport LX and a Fiio E9 amp. My portable rig is a Hifiman 601 and a UHA4 Slimline amp.

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #107 of 334
Quote:
dont worry I look at your effort:)
right now Im listening to stock model with j$pads and its ok. I made some experiments with opened construction and adding cups while listening etc.
I like open mod and I also find stock HP with big pads sound good. However I do think that cable change could be even more interesting. Ill also add dynamat on that stock plastic cups (all stuff removed before). Right now I enjoy music but Ill observe that topic. keep up good work:)

Thanks! I hope to have mine recabled soon, and I'll be sure to report back on that.

Once I get some more things refined (recable, more dampening, etc), I believe Tyll will be taking a listen to these and measuring them! Look forward to that in the near future...

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #108 of 334
Hey Hans,

What was the effect of putting the foam on the driver assembly and cups? Mostly, does it do anything to the bass? The markl mod is supposed to reduce some of the bass impact, but with the open mod, there isn't so much bass that you'd want to lose any of it.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #109 of 334
Hey Hans,

What was the effect of putting the foam on the driver assembly and cups? Mostly, does it do anything to the bass? The markl mod is supposed to reduce some of the bass impact, but with the open mod, there isn't so much bass that you'd want to lose any of it.

Check the first post for details :)

It did not really change the bass. All it is really doing is some dampening and reducing sound wave reflections. No bass was lost really, but it did help a tiny bit with reducing sibilance and brightness (probably due to reducing reflections). Actually, with my “paper removal mod” on the back of the driver, some of the bass lost in the open mod was restored. Dampening does help ensure that it stays nice and tight.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #110 of 334
Just a quick update...dropped my open D2000s off at the post office today to have them recabled! I'll be sure to post my impressions once I get them back.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #113 of 334
Great job on experimenting with the Denons.  You never know what you may like until you try it.

I remember posting on the D7000 thread about J$ pads and some reversible LA7000 mods and I always had people reply with, "I love my D7000's just the way they are".  It's great to like something for what it is but what's the harm in trying something new, especially if it's completely reversible?

You went from loving the D2000's in their stock form, to realizing what they were lacking, and then to completely tailoring their sound to your liking.  With each mod, you know what it does to the sound and you would have never known if it was better or worse without having the balls to try it. 

Once again, good job on experimenting and trying something new. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #114 of 334

Quote:
It looks like a doable job but it requires some soldering. He may not be comfortable with that. I wouldn't be either at the price I paid for my headphones. But I could do it though.

Well, he DID drill a gaping hole in his cups so...

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #115 of 334
I agree with you a 100%. I tried the above mod and it really does make the Denon 5000 much better. Same concept goes for my IE8s. I liked them in stock form but now with the pure silver cable I love them and by maxing the bass knob and EQ down mid bass and bass considerably I get a magnificent mid centric IEM with a humongous sound stage. The Sony EX1000s have nothing on these IE8s now  IMO but they did help me to tweak my bass to my liking.

Quote:
Great job on experimenting with the Denons.  You never know what you may like until you try it.

I remember posting on the D7000 thread about J$ pads and some reversible LA7000 mods and I always had people reply with, "I love my D7000's just the way they are".  It's great to like something for what it is but what's the harm in trying something new, especially if it's completely reversible?

You went from loving the D2000's in their stock form, to realizing what they were lacking, and then to completely tailoring their sound to your liking.  With each mod, you know what it does to the sound and you would have never known if it was better or worse without having the balls to try it. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #116 of 334
Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't opt to do the recable yourself.

My soldering skills are extremely basic, though I could probably solder wiring to the drivers at least. Then you have to keep in mind sleeving, soldering on the plug, making it all look nice, etc. Those things I have no experience with. I also don't have any of the needed tools. I was lucky to have found that hole bore drill piece when staying with my family for a couple weeks over the summer. I probably could recable them with instructions, but I'd rather have someone that knows what they're doing take care of it for me. I just didn't want to risk messing them up. With the cups, I could just leave them off and find replacements if I really messed them up, and it wouldn't have be too much of a loss or expense.

Quote:

Thanks! :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #117 of 334
I heard CAL! improves a lot after recabling from many ppl and also from my friend who have both HP - stock and recabled. It has nothing to do with placebo as cable is veery poor. D2000 also have similiar quality cable. I couldnt decide which to choose from more expensive cables and ended up orderong canare starquad and neutrik NP3X-B. Im also waiting for piece of dynamat for filling cups atm. These plus JMoney pads and I would like to see measurements:)

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #118 of 334
Quote:
I heard CAL! improves a lot after recabling from many ppl and also from my friend who have both HP - stock and recabled. It has nothing to do with placebo as cable is veery poor. D2000 also have similiar quality cable. I couldnt decide which to choose from more expensive cables and ended up orderong canare starquad and neutrik NP3X-B. Im also waiting for piece of dynamat for filling cups atm. These plus JMoney pads and I would like to see measurements:)

Cool! Let us know what you think of the recable. I've only heard positive results from recabling the Denon headphones.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #119 of 334
Quote:
Quote:
Cool! Let us know what you think of the recable. I've only heard positive results from recabling the Denon headphones.

I think you'll be quite pleased with the results
smile_phones.gif
  I just recabled my d2k's with cryo treated mogami wire. The biggest difference to me was the detail and smoother presentation.  I also dampened the cups which really helped the mids and tighten the bass.  I'd like to try your open back mod but reaching for that drill has been tough.

I also totally get having somebody else do the recable. I did it myself but it scared the crap out of me. Lol every time I had the soldering gun near the driver I thought "well there goes $250..."

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #120 of 334
I think you'll be quite pleased with the results
smile_phones.gif
  I just recabled my d2k's with cryo treated mogami wire. The biggest difference to me was the detail and smoother presentation.  I also dampened the cups which really helped the mids and tighten the bass.  I'd like to try your open back mod but reaching for that drill has been tough.

I also totally get having somebody else do the recable. I did it myself but it scared the crap out of me. Lol every time I had the soldering gun near the driver I thought "well there goes $250..."

Good to hear! Sounds like it will be well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back