Open back headphones up to £300....please :)
May 19, 2010 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bloodflowerz

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I’m looking to buy a pair of open back Hi-Fi headphones for music and gaming. My current setup is as follows:

Asus Xonar Essence ST --------> NAD C326BEE ----------> Mordaunt Short 902i
(via Asio 2.0 & Foobar) ------->(via Chord Chrimson)------>(via Chord Carnival Silverscreen)

I mostly listen to Metal and play PC games with the occasional film here and there. I’m looking to spend up to £300. The reason for this flexible budget is because I have no idea on where to begin with full size phones and I am not sure how significant sound quality is as you move up the price list. I require a warm sound with good bass.

I was looking at:

Grado SR325is @ £315

Audio Technica ATH-AD1000 @ £290

Beyerdynamic DT990 @ £220

Audio Technica ATH-AD900 @ £220

AKG K702 @ £211

AKG K601 @ £200

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO @ £200

Beyerdynamic DT860 @ £150

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO @ £130

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 @ £115

You may notice I have left off Utrasone, Grado to name a few. Are there any others I should be looking at which are not on list? Ideally, I need something built to last, with great warranty and support. I certainly don’t want to spend £300 on something which lasts only a year. I seem to have extremely bad luck with head phones.

Also, would a good Hi Fi headphone be significantly better than my Mordant Short 902is? Are headphones generally better than speakers at the same price due to the fact you have the sound right up against your ears?

Thanks in advance,

May 19, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
You may notice I have left off Utrasone, Grado to name a few. Are there any others I should be looking at which are not on list?

Also, would a good Hi Fi headphone be significantly better than my Mordant Short 902is? Are headphones generally better than speakers at the same price due to the fact you have the sound right up against your ears?

You've also left off Sennheiser, i'm thinking of the hd600, is that deliberate?

As for the other question, i'm going to stick my neck out and say no, they won't sound significantly better than your speakers. They are a different experience of the music. The 902i's are very capable speakers which I had set up in my student room on sand-filled stands and when I cranked them up and shut my eyes they sounded awesome. I bought my AKG's about 2 months before I sold my MS's and only really use/used my headphones when I am working or someone else around is.

Of course you don't need stands or nice acoustics to enjoy headphones to their full potential.

May 19, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 19
@ Marcus_C

I never really had luck with Sennheiser and I personally just do not go for them. Hence why they have been left off the list.

I agree, with headphones, you don't have to worry about placement, stands etc to get the best sound. My MS902i are great but I listened to some music on some cheap open back headphones and I simply could not stop. The sound was extremely immersive and my music sounded amazing. With speakers, I can never really crank up the volume because of others in the house. I always have to keep the bass down too, hence why I am looking for headphones.

Which AKG pair did you purchase and why did you sell your MS (if you do not mind me asking :) )?

@ Mr Joboto

Ta very much :)

May 19, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 19
BTW 702 is only £211.50 at digital village. However, I don't think this phone is good for metal though..... Plus probably your hifi amp wouldn't be able to handle it (this also apply to senn. HD600/ 650)

Maybe worth checking out new ultrasone Pro 2900 as well, no idea whether it is any good or not as it is very new. Best to listen to it first before any purchase as ultrasone's house sound is either you like it or you hate it. And while you at it, maybe try out some grado as well to see what you think.

May 19, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
BTW 702 is only £211.50 at digital village. However, I don't think this phone is good for metal though.....

Maybe worth checking out new ultrasone Pro 2900 as well, no idea whether it is any good or not as it is very new. Best to listen to it first before any purchase as ultrasone's house sound is either you like it or you hate it. And while you at it, maybe try out some grado as well to see what you think.

Thanks for the pricing. I've amended the list. I will look into the Ultrasones based on your recomendation. My aim is to shortlist around 3-5 headphones and demo them in store :)

Quote:
I would include a grado SR325is in your list for your music preference and in your budget mate.

Top of the list that one goes, pricing wise haha.

May 19, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
@ Marcus_C

I never really had luck with Sennheiser and I personally just do not go for them. Hence why they have been left off the list.

I agree, with headphones, you don't have to worry about placement, stands etc to get the best sound. My MS902i are great but I listened to some music on some cheap open back headphones and I simply could not stop. The sound was extremely immersive and my music sounded amazing. With speakers, I can never really crank up the volume because of others in the house. I always have to keep the bass down too, hence why I am looking for headphones.

Which AKG pair did you purchase and why did you sell your MS (if you do not mind me asking :) )?

@ Mr Joboto

Ta very much :)

Yeah, headphones are a bit more neighbour friendly, there's no denying that. I bought a pair of K601's and have to say they're very nice, although my right driver died last week. Reason I sold the MS's? I won some money in an engineering competition last last year and I decided to spend part of it on some Monitor Audio speakers, I'd had the MS's since they were released so felt like a change and B&W 685's didn't do it for me.

May 19, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:

Thanks for the pricing. I've amended the list. I will look into the Ultrasones based on your recomendation. My aim is to shortlist around 3-5 headphones and demo them in store :)

Top of the list that one goes, pricing wise haha.

Where are you getting the pricing from mate
confused_face_2.gif
,where do you live,I will find a cheaper place to buy from.

May 19, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Where are you getting the pricing from mate
confused_face_2.gif
,where do you live,I will find a cheaper place to buy from.

UK haha. That should explain all!

May 19, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Unfortunately that's UK grado pricing for you.....pretty bad I konw.

Well, if it's ridiculously priced only in the UK then I would rather not buy it to be honest. We should not support rip off companys....

May 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:

Well, if it's ridiculously priced only in the UK then I would rather not buy it to be honest. We should not support rip off companys....

That in not the pricing from the grado company, it is from the reseller.Please visit Grado Labs website to find out more about the company before making any outrageous comments on them.

May 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Unfortunately we got rip off quite a lot for imported goods over here....like £1 for $1, quite common.

That is the UK distributor price, not just reseller, and it is not the same as the US price. EU grado price also very expensive too. So say a GS1000i will be like £1k mark, i.e. you might as well get a HD800 or T1....

May 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
That in not the pricing from the grado company, it is from the reseller.Please visit Grado Labs website to find out more about the company before making any outrageous comments on them.

Sorry Kunal, did not mean to offend you in any way...

It concerns me Grado have no control over this as I am sure they would miss out on many potential sales due to inflated UK pricing.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back