Open-back headphones under 1500 dollars
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 28
You cannot afford to ignore these! My absolute recommendation for a first purchase / new to the brand. 16BD6FD9-A7A0-4223-809C-FF73514324E4.jpeg [ ZMF headphones. I own several: refer to ‘signature’. ]
This would be my recommendation. You said that you generally prefer a more natural neutral sounding signature. These do veer a tad bit 'warm' (just based on my understanding of the ZMF house sound), but generally they're quite neutral! At $1,499, these seem like a no brainer for you!

May 29, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #19 of 28
I also own the DCA Aeon 2 Noire.
The Arya v3/Stealth is a good open back alternative.
Having owned the Focal Clear OG I can't really recommend it, compared to the Arya/HD800s it is not that clean in the mids in my opinion.
An open box HE1000v2 is also <1500 atm, although I would say the Aryas are closer to the DCA.

May 29, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 28
I wouldn’t buy Clear MG, sold mine due to bright and thin sounding. Arya is worse. I’d rate Sennheiser HD 800 S above both, especially with EQ. If you need some bass presence than LCD-X, all day any day.
But no EQ for the Clear or Arya?

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #22 of 28
I'd go with ZMF Aeolus. Clear while really good, has a metallic timbre for vocals.

ZMF is the king of midrange timbre IMO and while I haven't heard about the new Auteur Classic, I assume it would be just as good if not better than Aeolus.

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #23 of 28
My preferences that fit what you seek would be the Focal Clear MG. However, my other recommendation would be the Ibasso SR3 which will save you some significant cash. The SR2 and SR3 punch way above their price point imo. Natural and neutral as you desire, with a slight touch of warmth, a robust low end that's just slightly above neutral, and a smooth fatigue free top end. The sound is layered, excellent instrument separation, above average detailing, fantastic mid range with an organic presentation, all for 600 bucks. Comes with a very nice cable as well, something I can't say about Focal.
The MG has a similar tuning, but the upper mids and lower treble are slightly more aggressive, but still free of any harsh brightness. The bass is a little faster with less decay and more attack, and the mids are ever so slightly more forward. It may present details a touch better, and it has more air between the instruments. The Ibasso is a little more lush and analog sounding. The Ibasso is more comfortable on my head, but the MG is quite stunning in appearance. Both are excellent headphones imo.

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 28
I wouldn’t buy Clear MG, sold mine due to bright and thin sounding. Arya is worse. I’d rate Sennheiser HD 800 S above both, especially with EQ. If you need some bass presence than LCD-X, all day any day.
I didn't find the MG remotely bright or thin. What were you driving them with?

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 28
Yes, with quite heavy sounding tracks. I’m not believer in burn-in. Btw i’ve heard Utopia after my purchase and those are freaking amazing sounding cans and best i’ve heard to day no doubt. Heard OG clear and Elex measures similar to Utopia. MG is rather bright, unnatural. So if you live in US, with some coupons and warranty Elex will be a no brainer.

And to be honest, it is as good as a headphone can get. Next you’ll be venturing into loudspeakers.

The OG Clear is much brighter than the MG. That was a big selling point, noted by many, many users. The addition of the magnesium domes took away that bright metallic sound.

Jun 17, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #26 of 28
I see a few recommendations here for the LCD-X. I tried them back in 2015 and loved them in terms of sound, but I had to return them from the neck pain caused by the weight. I see that they've had a refresh and have gone down from 630g to 612g, but that still seems pretty crazy compared to others on the market.

Did anyone recommending them happen to try them back in their original form, give up on them due to the weight, and then came back to the newer version to find them more bearable?

Jun 17, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #27 of 28
I also own the DCA Aeon 2 Noire.
The Arya v3/Stealth is a good open back alternative.
Having owned the Focal Clear OG I can't really recommend it, compared to the Arya/HD800s it is not that clean in the mids in my opinion.
An open box HE1000v2 is also <1500 atm, although I would say the Aryas are closer to the DCA.
Last week HFM and/or Headphones.com had the HEK v2 OG for $1300. I still like the HE-6 SE v2 but it needs a pad change IMO and any O2 free cable over the stock, and it’s better with the hex screens too

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #28 of 28
I bought the original HD 800 in 2007, and lived with not so flat eq for a bit, until I got Sonarworks Reference EQ software, with the HD 800 average profile, measured by mics in a dummy head's ears. Now, my bass is soo deep and full, I guess that's just how they like to make music, and no irritating highs, either.
Every part of my setup is now upgraded from junk, except for the usb port itself, and I'm out of a pc. My sound is insanely good.
The pictures of new headphone reviews until up to like 3k feature a picture of my HD 800's as the headphone to beat while being ok eq-wise. Maybe they do it at 3k, but that's a lot more. You can probably find a lightly used original HD 800 for very cheap, and spend the 99 Euro's on Sonarworks, which will work well for probably any headphone you get for some time in the future. With the EQ, you can skip the 800S, the software will take care of that properly.
When my 800's wear out, I'm getting the exact same pair used. They're just right. My cable is $600USD too, so that will pay off better, too. But you won't need that to still get most of the 800's. But seriously, after upgrading every part of my chain, except for the power cable only on the pc, wow, so good. Now I'm just waiting for 192kbps to further fix what 96k only helps correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back