Opamp Swap?
Jan 7, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Maverick D1 DAC/Amp in the mail and I'm wondering about changing out the opamps it has. It's apparently the same-ish design/unit as the XiangSheng DAC-01A. It's not known what kind of DAC it has in it and I have no knowledge of the circuitry. The one thing I do know is that it uses the LF353N for the DAC and for the amp. I have some LT1364 and LM4562 on hand and I am thinking of using the 1364 for the DAC and the 4562 for the amp. I know almost nothing about their electrical properties (operating voltages and whatnot) so that's kinda why I'm posting. Is this an outright bad idea? Will there be any issues with doing this? Thanks.

*EDIT*
Are both the 1364 and 4562 dual opamps? I think I read the 1364 is a single, but does the DAC only need a single?

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LT1364 & LM4562 are both dual opamps.

Thanks, that's what I thought
smily_headphones1.gif
So all 3 are dual and would presumptuously be able to swap out one for the other. Are they electrically compatible?

BTW, the exact part numbers I have would be:
LF1364CN8#PBF
LM4562NA/NOPB

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 5
well what you have to think of is whether the opamp on the dac is being used for I/V conversion or for converting a differential signal to single ended (most likely the latter) and then the second is acting as I/V convertor and or buffer. I havent looked up the datasheets, but you must replace a current feedback chip with a current feedback chip and not a voltage feedback chip, also some of the national opamps although great sounding are a bit cranky and need to operate under conditions that pamper them. I recommend looking up the datasheets and seeing how closely they match. check out the recommended circuits on the datasheet.

good luck

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 5
Ah thanks for the detailed reply qusp
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the specs would mean. I tried looking them up but I didn't get very far. It looks like the LF353N is a generic opamp meant for many operations and the 4562 and 1364 are more geared towards audio. Beyond that, I haven't the slightest clue.

I know how to properly replace/swap opamps, I know how to snip and solder components. I just have a hard time with specifications and what values mean what
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back