Onkyo ND-S1 iPod dock
Nov 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #31 of 256
My question is simple - does the Squeezebox bypass the iPod DAC and allow me to stream all those WAV files on my Classic straight into my DAC/amp of choice ? At this point, I believe there are only 3 solutions that do that, and the third is considerably more expensive than the Onkyo/Wadia docks.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #32 of 256
The Squeezebox is bit perfect, i've been using one for years with an external DAC - a really great combination. Its the only way to go if you have a large music collection (i.e. over 160GB of flac etc files).

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #33 of 256
BT are you refering to the Squeezebox Transporter?

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #34 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is simple - does the Squeezebox bypass the iPod DAC and allow me to stream all those WAV files on my Classic straight into my DAC/amp of choice ? At this point, I believe there are only 3 solutions that do that, and the third is considerably more expensive than the Onkyo/Wadia docks.

Hi estreeter,

The Squeezebox (or Transporter) does not interface with your iPod.

The Squeezebox has its own software (called "slim server") that sees your music collection on your hard drive, and allows you to wirelessly stream your music from your computer to your Squeezebox. The Squeezebox has analog and digital outputs (coax and optical).

But it has nothing to do with the iPod or iTunes...

The only devices on the market that allow you to plug in your iPod (newer generation iPods) and obtain a true digital output are the Wadia iTransport, and this new Onkyo ND-S1...

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #35 of 256
Hi guys got mine today paid 139GBP from Peter Tyson. Ordered 11.30am yesterday got it 8.20am today.How good is that.Been playing all day.It sounds better than line out cable.I have tried 80g ipod plus 3g iphone.It looks good but feels a bit cheap.I am very happy with it.The remote is basic but works well.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #36 of 256
Still looking someone who can compare it with Wadia 170. Vinnie we'll count on you^^

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #37 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still looking someone who can compare it with Wadia 170. Vinnie we'll count on you^^

As soon as mine arrives, I'll compare and be sure to post here!
wink.gif

Vinnie

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #38 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi estreeter,

The Squeezebox (or Transporter) does not interface with your iPod.

The Squeezebox has its own software (called "slim server") that sees your music collection on your hard drive, and allows you to wirelessly stream your music from your computer to your Squeezebox. The Squeezebox has analog and digital outputs (coax and optical).

But it has nothing to do with the iPod or iTunes...

The only devices on the market that allow you to plug in your iPod (newer generation iPods) and obtain a true digital output are the Wadia iTransport, and this new Onkyo ND-S1...

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Vinnie, any idea if any data is lost or noise/jitter introduced during the streaming/receiving process? I'm confused why the Onkyo and Wadia are considered bit-perfect while Logitech seems to only consider the the $2,000 Transporter bit-perfect when Duet or Classic have digital outs. Any help would be APPRECIATED. THANKS.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #39 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie, any idea if any data is lost or noise/jitter introduced during the streaming/receiving process? I'm confused why the Onkyo and Wadia are considered bit-perfect while Logitech seems to only consider the the $2,000 Transporter bit-perfect when Duet or Classic have digital outs. Any help would be APPRECIATED. THANKS.

I'm not sure what is really meant by all this "bit perfect" talk? Define "bit perfect."
wink.gif

As long as it is not something like a DLO iPod dock (which actually takes the analog line out of the iPod from the iPods internal dac - and then converts to S/PDIF via A/D conversion to be sent to an external dac - thus defeating the point!).

But all these units mentioned above take the digital music files (e.g. files on your iPod in the case of the Wadia, or files on your computer in the case of the Squeezebox) and output them via S/PDIF - and you feed that to your external dac.

If the Wadia is "bit-perfect", I see no reason why the Squeezebox 3, Duet, or Transporter are not. Either the 0's and 1's are transmitted and received (via the coax or optical SPDIF), or not.

Wirelessly streaming of the Squeezebox units (SB3, Duet, Transporter) is via Wi-Fi (or Ethernet cable), and as long as there is enough bandwidth, there shouldn't be any drop-outs. When the digital data it received by the Squeezebox, it is then processed and converted to S/PDIF to feed the optical and coax digital outputs (and also fed into their internal dac, which feeds the L and R analog output stage of this unit).

Jitter is a whole other story. Severe jitter can lead to problems (errors at the receiving end of the digital data stream), but I don't think any of these units have jitter that is unusual or bad enough to cause such problems.

I don't want to thread-jack this Onkyo ND-S1 thread, so perhaps discussions about this sort of stuff should be started in a new thread? If it is, please link to it and I'll take a look...

All the best,

Vinnie

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #40 of 256
Thanks Vinnie - the terms 'jitter' and 'bit-perfect' inevitably stir up a few on Head-Fi : they must be reading those audiophile magazines I've read about in Stereophile !
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #41 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Vinnie - the terms 'jitter' and 'bit-perfect' inevitably stir up a few on Head-Fi : they must be reading those audiophile magazines I've read about in Stereophile !
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks as well Vinnie. I definitely didn't mean to derail the thread this much and didn't expect the followup questions from others. I really appreciated your explanation. I'm very new and have never NOT heard the bitperfect term used to describe these components. Anyways, many thanks for clearing it up.

Edit
----
I just noticed that Vinnie posted a new 10/27 update on audiocircle regarding his upcoming Black Lightning power supplies. FYI since others were asking. I'm looking forward to the upcoming pics and to the Tone Audio review.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #42 of 256
Hi just a quick up date had it a day and very happy.
Playing last fm though iphone as i work does not sound bad at all.
I even played video though it to my tv not the best picture but thats not what its about,the sound from phone plus ipod is much better.Would like to try it with a really
good dac.I am really pleased with it.Made my week.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #43 of 256
I'm trying to convince myself that i 'need' one of these for work! I have a new DAC/AMP in the post that has coax input, so I could drop my Ipod on the dock and get the DAC/AMP to do its bit.. unfortunately it would mean cleaning my desk up somewhat...

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #45 of 256

Users who are viewing this thread

Back