ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #14,898 of 16,326
Has anyone replaced their 2.5mm jack, on the PCB? I have a XDP-300R and have pulled it apart but can't find a suitable jack to replace the broken one.
If you find the right jack and can make the repair, you should open an Etsy shop to fix other Head-Fi Onkyos and Pioneers. My 2.5mm bit the dust a month ago. Luckily still under warrantee. But that won't last forever.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #14,899 of 16,326
If you find the right jack and can make the repair, you should open an Etsy shop to fix other Head-Fi Onkyos and Pioneers. My 2.5mm bit the dust a month ago. Luckily still under warrantee. But that won't last forever.

I wouldn't take on the responsibility to be honest. I've put a brief overview of how to dismantle it on the XDP-300R thread and I'll create a proper thread once I've repaired it. However at the minute the options I have are to repair the existing jack whilst out of the device, or remove it and wire an external one so the wires come through the body.

I tried to send mine back, mine snapped after 2 months, but Pioneer's warranty conditions are to send it back to the retailer. However because I bought it from Amazon.jp via buyee I have no way to return it. Buyee don't offer a returns service! My fault in part but I was a bit miffed at a "global warranty" that is fundamentally flawed by the return to buyer clause. My argument was, in this day and age, where people travel a lot, what if it was bought in a shop for example in Japan. Would they expect me to fly back just to return it.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #14,901 of 16,326
... and it introduced at least one major bug . After I updated the app, USB audio output got useless. No joke - since the update, music from FLAC files actually grinds! Analogue output is o.k. After getting back to the original app version, the USB problem disappeared. So, it really is a new bug in the latest app version .

Is anybody else having this issue..? I don't like the original app version and just wish I had the 1.6.1 back..I found the 1.6.1 @ downloadatoz.com and was wondering if that safe to download..? Or am I better off just waiting for another update..?

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #14,904 of 16,326
Hello,

I posted a message a couple of weeks ago about my concern with balanced signal.
I have a Oppo PM3 and a DPX1. I bought a "cheap" 4PIN 2.5<->3.5 cable. I just wanted to try listening my own music to check the balanced story on my own without the need to spend hundreds for a beautiful cable.

- It simply does not work in balanced mode. I have enormous phase problems between channels. A simple pink noise oscillating between left and right shows it.
- It does not work with ACG neither: subtle phase problem. Basses are f.. up and mids blurred.
- It sounds _very_ well in un-balanced mode. I love it.

4PIN audio cable do not have any specific routing ? Would a 4PIN-4PIN jack for cellphone be different ?

PS: I still do not understand the DSP modes. They simply smooth attacks as if there were a long fft window process behind. EQ can only be used with that DSP mode.

Thank you !!

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #14,905 of 16,326
If you want to increase battery's life, remove all notifications, app starting up on boot-up, screen timer etc.
But if you want to use it as an iPod, I made four mini-scripts for the application "Automate".
They switch Bluetooth off after a minute of disconnection, kill all other apps, and automatically shuts down the device after 20 minutes of silence (root needed).
I am very slowly planning to add features that make the DPX1 as autonomous as a basic player. So you have the good side of an Android device with the good side of an basic player.
http://llamalab.com/automate/

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #14,907 of 16,326
Hello,

I have a Oppo PM3 and a DPX1. I bought a "cheap" 4PIN 2.5<->3.5 cable. I just wanted to try listening my own music to check the balanced story on my own without the need to spend hundreds for a beautiful cable.

- It simply does not work in balanced mode. I have enormous phase problems between channels. A simple pink noise oscillating between left and right shows it.
- It does not work with ACG neither: subtle phase problem. Basses are f.. up and mids blurred.

4PIN audio cable do not have any specific routing ? Would a 4PIN-4PIN jack for cellphone be different ?

PS: I still do not understand the DSP modes. They simply smooth attacks as if there were a long fft window process behind. EQ can only be used with that DSP mode.

Thank you !!

Balanced cables cannot be bought cheap. See here for a guide ... http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2...r-oppo-pm-3-headphones-with-a-balanced-cable/

Balanced audio cables are not the same as cheap phone cables or adaptors either. I made these mistakes early on buying adaptors from Nokia and other phone cables. They don't work.

My balanced Surf Cables from LA are on the way lol!

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #14,908 of 16,326
Hello,

Thank you !!
DId you just buy a balanced cable or did you get one specigically for the PM3? If you didn't get one specifically for the PM3 I would think that is where your problem lies.. also there are no "cheap" Balanced Cables. You also mention that it's a 4 pin 2.5 to 3.5? are you using an adapter? The balanced out is 2.5 TRRS ( I think it's TRRS).

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #14,909 of 16,326
DId you just buy a balanced cable or did you get one specigically for the PM3? If you didn't get one specifically for the PM3 I would think that is where your problem lies.. also there are no "cheap" Balanced Cables. You also mention that it's a 4 pin 2.5 to 3.5? are you using an adapter? The balanced out is 2.5 TRRS ( I think it's TRRS).

Hello,

Thank you very much !
I actually bought this cable, or the same from another seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-End-...744629?hash=item33c7ff8835:g:h0oAAOSwyWZZSHHN
It is a "Double End 2.5mm to 3.5mm Male 3-Ring TRRS Headphone Jack Plug AV Adapter Cable".

As audio cable, even cheap, I do not see why there would be enormous crosswalk between channels for balanced DPX1, iPhone microphone or whatever.

I think there is a problem with the headphones, the DPX1 or the wiring within the cable.

I thought such TRRS jack cable would just connect channels strait from one end to another (A-in->A-out, B-in->B-out etc). Wires can be for iPhone microphone or ground; it does not matter since they are just wires.
Am I wrong ?

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #14,910 of 16,326
Balanced cables cannot be bought cheap. See here for a guide ... http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2...r-oppo-pm-3-headphones-with-a-balanced-cable/

Balanced audio cables are not the same as cheap phone cables or adaptors either. I made these mistakes early on buying adaptors from Nokia and other phone cables. They don't work.

My balanced Surf Cables from LA are on the way lol!

Thanks !
I do not understand why adapters or other normal TRRS cable would not work. But yes indeed, it does not work. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back