ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 22, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #12,138 of 16,326
Audited the Onkyo DP-X1 the other day, with EQ off sounds pretty artificial to me not natural at all, in the end does not purchase it.
I'm coming from AK240.

What headphones did you use and what cable and external amp or dac?  One of these could have been the reason for not liking it.  I am guessing most likely your headphones may have not been a good match soundwise?

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #12,139 of 16,326
What headphones did you use and what cable and external amp or dac?  One of these could have been the reason for not liking it.  I am guessing most likely your headphones may have not been a good match soundwise?

I using it with JVC HA-FW02 that day sounds too dark with it and very artificial.
The same IEM I use on my AK240 on the other hand sounds simply awesome.

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #12,140 of 16,326
I would guess you did not care for the pairing with the DP-X!1. Those are pretty dark iems.  A&K probably sounds a lot cleaner due to the player end sounding much less musical and much more analytical and bright..  The DPX1A should be wonderful with some of my iems.

On another note can anybody tell me if a DP-X1A will sound good wth a Shure SE846 and a V-Moda Crossfade M-100?  I find my 1st gen Fiio X5 does not power the M-100 near decent at all.  It is pretty bad.  The X5 doesn't seem to have any power for them.  It is great with my Shure's though.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #12,141 of 16,326
So i am looking to upgrade my fiio x5 2nd gen and looking for something that has spotify (android) 2.5m for my roxanne, something i can hook my rca to 3.5mm for my magni 2, detailed bright wide soundstage and good vocal clarity

I was thinking about the dpx1 or the pioneer 300r

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #12,142 of 16,326

What do you have currently, why are you changing, and  what are you looking for? Have you listened to either?

I have AK70, but it is 3rd device in a row with Update problem. I dont have in Store Menu Moov app and this app wants to be updated. Iriver support told me that I have propably faulty device. But 3rd faulty device in a row? I am totally crazy about it. When I search for this problem on internet, I have no success to find somebody with this problem, so maybe I am the only one in the world :D

Thats the reason why I am thinking to go for Onkyo DP-X1, but I dont know if it will match my IEM in terms of best sound quality and sound signature.
AK70 is my first DAP in my life, so I really dont know which way to go. As said, AK70 has forward Mid to High, or Highs, DPX1 laid-back. The sound of AK70 is really nice, but I am new in all this stuff, so I cant now imagine the difference between SQ of these DAPs. Big adventage of Onkyo is that you can download apps like spotify, and others, AK70 has TIDAL (only online streaming) and it is really nice, but you cant download anything, everything is installed only with new firmware update. That is in my opinion big minus for this really nice DAP.

Someone said, that low output impedance is not good for ATH-IM03. They sounds best, when player has output impedance between 1 - 20 ohm. I was not able to try them with another player, so I really dont know if it is true.

Thanks

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #12,143 of 16,326
can I ask please some questions

1- can you root and install viper4android
2- how does the onkyo sound signature compare to a fiio x7 with am3 or am5 amp modules, as right now I am finding the fiio x7 a bit bright for my liking and enough bass
3- how is the sound stage compared to fiio x7
4- can I connect it to mojo, although I will not do it on the go but I just want to make sure that I can connect it to mojo if I need to
5- what is the difference between DP1XA and DP1X

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #12,144 of 16,326

What do you have currently, why are you changing, and  what are you looking for? Have you listened to either?

I have AK70, but it is 3rd device in a row with Update problem. I dont have in Store Menu Moov app and this app wants to be updated. Iriver support told me that I have propably faulty device. But 3rd faulty device in a row? I am totally crazy about it. When I search for this problem on internet, I have no success to find somebody with this problem, so maybe I am the only one in the world :D

Thanks

Iriver support has been terrible in the US since like 2007. One of the reasons i won't buy an AK

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #12,145 of 16,326
Iriver support has been terrible in the US since like 2007. One of the reasons i won't buy an AK

I think that US iriver support is the best of all iriver supports. At first I have contacted German iriver support, they answered after 1 week and it was absolutely useless mesage. Then I have contacted american iriver and I get message from them after 1 hour (usefull mesage), next answer came after 20 minutes and the next one after few days, but they were still pretty fast. I have contacted Asian iriver support too and they didnt answer my qeostions yet.

Tommorow is the last day, which I can return my AK70 to reseller for money back. It is a big dilemma. In our country cost AK70 circa 660 Eur, I bought it for 538 EUr (special discount, but update problems with 3 devices in a row). Either I will return it, or I will keep it with this defect. I dont want to use MOOV app, but this neverending update notification is driving me crazy. Really big dilemma.

Sorry for my bad english.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #12,146 of 16,326
  can I ask please some questions

1- can you root and install viper4android
2- how does the onkyo sound signature compare to a fiio x7 with am3 or am5 amp modules, as right now I am finding the fiio x7 a bit bright for my liking and enough bass
3- how is the sound stage compared to fiio x7
4- can I connect it to mojo, although I will not do it on the go but I just want to make sure that I can connect it to mojo if I need to
5- what is the difference between DP1XA and DP1X

For (1) - If you do a search, within this thread, for "fastboot", you'll find posts with links to the TWRP and SuperSU downloads, as well as the steps for how to unlock the Bootloader if it's locked (mine wasn't), and how to install the TWRP and SuperSU.  As an aside, the fastboot command, when running within a Cygwin64 Terminal on Win7, didn't see the DP-X1, but it did when running within a regular Win7 Terminal.  The various adb and fastboot command I've used in the past on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, were run from the Cygwin Terminal.

There are several threads on the XDA Developers Forum which deal with installing the various versions of viper4android on different versions of Android.  I've got the Version 2.5.0.5 (FX), Codename "Beautiful" installed and working on my DP-X1 (Android 5.1.1).  It's been quite a challenge to get viper4android running on my Nexus 5 & 7, which have CM13 (Android 6.0.1).  The first attempt, with viper4android 2.4.0.4 seems to have worked - but then I tried updating to 2.5.0.5, and now it will install and enable, but not process audio on either of the Nexus devices - and trying to go back to 2.4.0.4 hasn't resulted in audio being processed as it was before...

The only other DAP I've heard so far, is the Shanling M1, which isn't in the same price/performance league as the DP-X1 or fiio X7.

For (4), the DP-X1 apparently can output digital audio via the USB connection to an external DAC (but Onkyo has never released a proposed firmware update to allow it to operate as a USB DAC).

For (5), you may have to take a look at Onkyo's website (possibly the Japanese site).

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #12,148 of 16,326
Just got the DP-X1 with a nice discount. I immediately notice that going balanced is the best way to go with DP-X1. My NT-6 is just as detailed and clear as with the hugo. Probably better than the balance out of the X7 (am3) or the AK320

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #12,149 of 16,326
Just got the DP-X1 with a nice discount. I immediately notice that going balanced is the best way to go with DP-X1. My NT-6 is just as detailed and clear as with the hugo. Probably better than the balance out of the X7 (am3) or the AK320

+1 on this. I'm getting as good or better a sound - to my ears - with DP-X1 and latest IEM cable upgrade (balanced connection) than I get when strapping the Onkyo to either my Hugo or ALO CDM. I wsnt expecting that outcome. I also tried the X7 and didn't find it as good.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #12,150 of 16,326
+1 on this. I'm getting as good or better a sound - to my ears - with DP-X1 and latest IEM cable upgrade (balanced connection) than I get when strapping the Onkyo to either my Hugo or ALO CDM. I wsnt expecting that outcome. I also tried the X7 and didn't find it as good.

I don't know what took me so long to try the DP-X1. Probably because of my past experience with full android-based DAPs in the past. I like how Onkyo has done with the UI. It's a full Android OS with essential apps for Music and Google services. 

But I'm surprised how the balanced out turned out. Always thought it's just a gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back