ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 20, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #12,122 of 16,326
I currently have an AK100ii and have decided to try a DP-X1...it should arrive in a couple of days.  I am confused about balanced cabling and looking for some help...

I use my AK100ii with Shure SE846s when travelling, unbalanced.  At home, I connect the AK100ii 3.5mm out to a Violectric V281 headphone amp using unbalanced connectors on the analog RCA inputs to the V281 and use the balanced output of the V281 to HiFiMan HE1000s.

As I mentioned, I get confused about balanced, unbalanced, single-ended, etc., especially considering the AK100ii only has one DAC/amp.

Since the DP-X1 has two DACs/amps, I decided to buy a balanced cable for my Shure SE846s...easy enough.

Where I remain confused is how to hook up the DP-X1 to the 3-pin XLR inputs on my Violectric V281.  The AK100ii manual says that I can use the "Balanced Port" (2.5mm) connected directly to headphones.  However, if I'm using the 2.5mm balanced port to connect to an "external audio device," (I assume that means something like my headphone amp, the V281) I need a cable that has a connector that simultaneously uses both the 2.5mm balanced port and the 3.5mm port (for ground).

The only balanced cable I've seen for an AK100ii with both a 3.5mm and 2.5mm connector like this is uber expensive.

I can't find any info in the DP-X1 manual, on how to connect it to a balanced headphone amp, such as my V281.

I would like to used the balanced output of the DP-X1 and input it to the 3-pin balanced XLR inputs on the Violectric V281.  Do I just use a balanced 2.5mm TRRS to 3-Pin XLR (left and right) cable and not worry about "ground?"  If so, can someone recommend a specific cable?  Thanks for any help!!!

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #12,123 of 16,326
  I currently have an AK100ii and have decided to try a DP-X1...it should arrive in a couple of days.  I am confused about balanced cabling and looking for some help...

I use my AK100ii with Shure SE846s when travelling, unbalanced.  At home, I connect the AK100ii 3.5mm out to a Violectric V281 headphone amp using unbalanced connectors on the analog RCA inputs to the V281 and use the balanced output of the V281 to HiFiMan HE1000s.

As I mentioned, I get confused about balanced, unbalanced, single-ended, etc., especially considering the AK100ii only has one DAC/amp.

Since the DP-X1 has two DACs/amps, I decided to buy a balanced cable for my Shure SE846s...easy enough.

Where I remain confused is how to hook up the DP-X1 to the 3-pin XLR inputs on my Violectric V281.  The AK100ii manual says that I can use the "Balanced Port" (2.5mm) connected directly to headphones.  However, if I'm using the 2.5mm balanced port to connect to an "external audio device," (I assume that means something like my headphone amp, the V281) I need a cable that has a connector that simultaneously uses both the 2.5mm balanced port and the 3.5mm port (for ground).

The only balanced cable I've seen for an AK100ii with both a 3.5mm and 2.5mm connector like this is uber expensive.

I can't find any info in the DP-X1 manual, on how to connect it to a balanced headphone amp, such as my V281.

I would like to used the balanced output of the DP-X1 and input it to the 3-pin balanced XLR inputs on the Violectric V281.  Do I just use a balanced 2.5mm TRRS to 3-Pin XLR (left and right) cable and not worry about "ground?"  If so, can someone recommend a specific cable?  Thanks for any help!!!

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think you can use the TRRS jack (2.5mm balanced) for connecting the DP-X1 balanced to line level inputs with XLR connectors. As you said, the TRRS is for differentially driving headphone drivers, it's not a balanced line-level output with ground.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #12,124 of 16,326

I believe if your model has the dac module, you can just use a microusb otg to usb type b out and u're all set. if not, I am not sure...

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #12,125 of 16,326
  I believe if your model has the dac module, you can just use a microusb otg to usb type b out and u're all set. if not, I am not sure...

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think you can use the TRRS jack (2.5mm balanced) for connecting the DP-X1 balanced to line level inputs with XLR connectors. As you said, the TRRS is for differentially driving headphone drivers, it's not a balanced line-level output with ground.

Thanks for the quick replies!  Unfortunately, no DAC module in my V281.  OK, I guess I can just connect the 3.5mm jack on the DP-X1, to my RCA inputs on the V281, like I'm doing now with my AK100ii, and switch the DP-X1 to "Line Out."  Stupid question...  By doing this, am I still using a separate DAC chip on the DP-X1 for each channel when passing the line level signal to the V281?

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #12,126 of 16,326

Thanks for the quick replies!  Unfortunately, no DAC module in my V281.  OK, I guess I can just connect the 3.5mm jack on the DP-X1, to my RCA inputs on the V281, like I'm doing now with my AK100ii, and switch the DP-X1 to "Line Out."  Stupid question...  By doing this, am I still using a separate DAC chip on the DP-X1 for each channel when passing the line level signal to the V281?

let me know how that works out for you, I am curious as well...

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #12,128 of 16,326

I wanted to try my DP-X1 feeding a Cavali Liquid Carbon amplifier. I was also advised that a separate ground connection would be required and made up a 2.5mm TRRS to XLR cable with an additional ground connection to attach to the 3.5mm socket on the Onkyo.

However when I tested it, it made no difference whether the ground connection to the Onkyo was made or not - it worked fine in either configuration. I can't say whether it would be the same with your V281 but worth a try.

Bear in mind that the DP-X1 can't have 2.5mm and 3.5mm plugs inserted at the same time. If a ground connection is required it would be necessary to cut down a 3.5mm plug to remove the 'tip' and 'ring' connections.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #12,131 of 16,326
No???
smily_headphones1.gif

????
didnt get u 

"no???"

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #12,135 of 16,326
Audited the Onkyo DP-X1 the other day, with EQ off sounds pretty artificial to me not natural at all, in the end does not purchase it.
I'm coming from AK240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back