ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 19, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #12,106 of 16,326
I have tried the PM3 and did not like their sound signature.  I couldn't listen to them for more than a few seconds when when I tried them.  So that is not an option for me.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I need to save my money for a new desktop computer and Christmas gifts at this point anyway.  The holidays are approaching and my family doesn't believe in buying things for yourself at this time of year.  We ask for it for Christmas.  I am only getting a computer, but have to pay for part of it myself

I don't see how you could listen to something for a few seconds and have such a decision like that. Also, I've had my onkyo since May and have no real issues, battery life is about 12 hours of continuous use.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #12,109 of 16,326
I don't see how you could listen to something for a few seconds and have such a decision like that. Also, I've had my onkyo since May and have no real issues, battery life is about 12 hours of continuous use.

I do. I own them, and I love them. But, they have a serious treble resonance that becomes glaring without the proper EQ. Besides, he's not reviewing them, just deciding to look elsewhere for headphones.

I have tried the PM3 and did not like their sound signature.  I couldn't listen to them for more than a few seconds when when I tried them.  So that is not an option for me.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I need to save my money for a new desktop computer and Christmas gifts at this point anyway.  The holidays are approaching and my family doesn't believe in buying things for yourself at this time of year.  We ask for it for Christmas.  I am only getting a computer, but have to pay for part of it myself

Fair enough. I can appreciate your caution with this DAP. I've been putting it off myself out of concern about the jacks and the battery. But, that's all been sorted out, as I understand it.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #12,111 of 16,326

I do. I own them, and I love them. But, they have a serious treble resonance that becomes glaring without the proper EQ. Besides, he's not reviewing them, just deciding to look elsewhere for headphones.

Being that it is a huge amount of money for me and I have very little money right now and a lot of people have had the same problems.  I don't feel comfortable spending that much money on this dap to not be fully happy with it.  Some people are still having the same problems with newer batches as well.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #12,114 of 16,326
I have the PM3 and M100, the X1 can power them just fine to ear bleeding levels. I do however think the X1 excels with multi BA IEMs. I use Alclair RSMS with the X1 and it sounds absolutely sublime. The PM3s with my Mojo is another awesome combo.

Fully agree! My NOCS800 have a BA design as well and they sound just amazing with the X1.

Hope the PM3 will do the same when I try them next week!

On a sidenote: I don't have any issues with batterylife. It plays continuously throughout the day and makes it up to 10 hours easy. I did disable and uninstall all unwanted apps (calendar, sheets, docs, etc) but I am not running it standalone. Screen is turned off after 1 minute. No problems with batterylife here!

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #12,115 of 16,326
Just tried the X1 with the Hifiman 400i cans. No lucky match, I think. Sounds flat and liveless, misses power, no soundstage and doesn't sound very attractive.

My Nocs NS800 headset totally rocks though! This is one hell of an addictive sound! I'm totally impressed... I also have Monster Beats iems, which sound just fantastic with electronic (and dance) music.

I borrowed the Hifiman headset from a friend with the option to buy it from him, but I'll be returning it. The DP-X1 had to run full power in order to drive it, and that was audible. It sounds like the DP-X1 had to work very hard and give it's all in order to produce some sound. It did not have the power to make the 400i actually "sing".

I was also in the opportunity to listen to another 400i both on my DP-X1 and on a friend's AK300. Both on the DP-X1 and on the AK300 the Hifiman 400i was not able to produce anything remotely convincing...

What are your experiences with headsets? I am on the lookout for some cans, but have not been able to find a good matching set of cans with the DP-X1 yet. Earlier in this thread I was recommended the Oppo PM3, which I hope to be able to listen to next week.

I felt the same about the 400i/DP-X1 until I switched to balanced. Fantastic sound now, although I have to run the volume at or close to max.

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #12,117 of 16,326
Cool everyone.  Thanks for all of the info and I am glad this device doesn't have many problems.  I will keep this and the DX80 on my short list of daps.  I have dropped the Opus 1 only because of the lack of external playlist support and the completely new firmware causing a few people major headaches.  Sounds like a DPX1A should be great when I have the funds and finally make up my mind.  I was told that people are more likely to complain about a product online than praise it.  With that said, I am going to assume that some of the complaints are by the same users whom post about it more than once.  Not all just some.  I will try the DPX1 for myself or the DPX1A and just see how it works for my needs specifically.

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #12,118 of 16,326
What HiFi review of DP-X1 is pretty worthless as they don't clarify whether they tested sound quality in balanced mode or not:

http://www.whathifi.com/onkyo/dp-x1/review

I learned a long time ago that all What HiFi reviews are worthless 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back