ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 12, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #12,557 of 16,326
 Asian Band?

Thank you...I swear it was something I read on the interweb. 
ph34r.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #12,558 of 16,326
ph34r.gif

Lol, I read that too on here, so don't worry; you're not delusional
wink.gif

I think it's something to do with different default settings on routers between Asia and the West.
A different choice of channel, or frequency or whatever.
If it's anything like my router, the solution is not to play with the router itself, but to open a browser on your computer, type  192.168.1.1  into the address bar and press enter/return.  It should then bring up a login screen for performing administrative tasks for your router (hopefully login details are on a sticker on your router) and you just log in, go to the network screen and adjust the channel.

However, do read up on this on here (or elsewhere) properly before attempting this!
It should be straightforward enough as long as you're following good instructions.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #12,559 of 16,326
ph34r.gif

You made me curious, so I took a look at my DPX1A and I noticed it was connected on my 2.4Ghz WiFi and wasn't seeing my 5Ghz WiFi on any scans.

So I set my DPX1A to 5Ghz only (in DPX1A advanced WiFi settings), then logged into my router and changed the 5Ghz channel from 149 to 48 and now my 5Ghz WiFi band shows up on the DPX1A scan. I set the DPX1A WiFi setting back to "Automatic". Both bands show up now.

Thanks for the hot tip!
L3000.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #12,560 of 16,326
the battery life is bad and it will piss you off, you can close as many apps as you like and dim it etc, battery life on it is still crap.

the sound is great, but the equalizer is confusing.

the headphone socket is ok but not fitted as solidly as it should be

build quality is ok, not fantastic , talk of it being built like a battleship is bollocks, it isnt heavy and doesnt feel expensive.

small gripes - the track skip on screen next to the graphic display is an awful layout, and the equalization coming off the circle is also a crap design imo, it looks odd.

all in though, given the sound quality and what it is , it's a good unit, i like it but will have to learn to love it, but it's no 'endgame, thats for sure.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #12,561 of 16,326
  the battery life is bad and it will piss you off, you can close as many apps as you like and dim it etc, battery life on it is still crap.

the sound is great, but the equalizer is confusing.

the headphone socket is ok but not fitted as solidly as it should be

build quality is ok, not fantastic , talk of it being built like a battleship is bollocks, it isnt heavy and doesnt feel expensive.

small gripes - the track skip on screen next to the graphic display is an awful layout, and the equalization coming off the circle is also a crap design imo, it looks odd.

all in though, given the sound quality and what it is , it's a good unit, i like it but will have to learn to love it, but it's no 'endgame, thats for sure.

If your idea of fantastic build quality is weight then add a brick to it. Voila, you have the best build quality. Seriously, which DAPs do you consider built with higher quality than DP-X1?

How long is the battery life are you talking about?

Yeah the on-screen track skip sucks on the default interface. But do you know you can change the screen mode which has a different button layout. I hope you can also see or feel the hardware buttons on the right side. That too can be used to control playback. In fact you can also use third party music player app if that is not enough for you.

The equalizer, hmmn it's just personal taste. If it's confusing for you it could be a gem for others. Like the interface you can choose a 3rd party app.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #12,562 of 16,326

If your idea of fantastic build quality is weight then add a brick to it. Voila, you have the best build quality. Seriously, which DAPs do you consider built with higher quality than DP-X1?

Yeah the on-screen track skip sucks on the default interface. But do you know you can change the screen mode which has a different button layout. I hope you can also see or feel the hardware buttons on the right side. That too can be used to control playback. In fact you can also use third party music player app if that is not enough for you.

The equalizer, hmmn it's just personal taste. If it's confusing for you it could be a gem for others. Like the interface you can choose a 3rd party app.

For controlling the DP-X1 - I have verified that neither iPhone nor Android wired remote controls (4-pole 3.5mm connectors) will control the DP-X1 (Volume/Play/Pause/Fwd/Rev).  The interesting thing is - using my Trinity Audio Bluetooth Lanyard (w/Apt-X & MMCX connectors), I can control Play/Pause/Skip in Spotify (haven't tried any other audio apps). The Volume controls on the Lanyard adjust the built-in Amp - but don't change the settings on the DAP.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #12,563 of 16,326

You made me curious, so I took a look at my DPX1A and I noticed it was connected on my 2.4Ghz WiFi and wasn't seeing my 5Ghz WiFi on any scans.

So I set my DPX1A to 5Ghz only (in DPX1A advanced WiFi settings), then logged into my router and changed the 5Ghz channel from 149 to 48 and now my 5Ghz WiFi band shows up on the DPX1A scan. I set the DPX1A WiFi setting back to "Automatic". Both bands show up now.

Thanks for the hot tip!
L3000.gif

Does changing the wifi channel impact anything else using the same wifi band like your phone?

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #12,564 of 16,326
Thanks, everyone!

Quote:

Lol, I read that too on here, so don't worry; you're not delusional
wink.gif

I think it's something to do with different default settings on routers between Asia and the West.
A different choice of channel, or frequency or whatever.
If it's anything like my router, the solution is not to play with the router itself, but to open a browser on your computer, type  192.168.1.1  into the address bar and press enter/return.  It should then bring up a login screen for performing administrative tasks for your router (hopefully login details are on a sticker on your router) and you just log in, go to the network screen and adjust the channel.

However, do read up on this on here (or elsewhere) properly before attempting this!
It should be straightforward enough as long as you're following good instructions.

@Layman1 Later last night I lay thinking in deep thought and recalled having to go 192.168.1.1 to change security settings or something.

Quote:

Thanks for the hot tip!
L3000.gif

@OneL0ve But you did say everything (WiFi) was working from the start--before adjusting things, correct? Are you in the US?

Does changing the wifi channel impact anything else using the same wifi band like your phone?

@crims Yes, exactly my question, too. What would changing something to accommodate my DP-X1A do to the many other things using the router?

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #12,565 of 16,326

i understand that weight doesnt mean quality necessarily, but it does feel a bit lacking in this dept, ill check the screen mode options , it is early days and these are my initial feeling's about the device , i had an ak100mk2 previously and felt that that was built better,

the buttons on the side dont stick out much on the onkyo, they are not very tactile or clicky. im not saying the build quality is poor , i  just dont think its fantastic,

a full charge yesterday gave me aprox 3 hrs of listening and messing about with the equalizer and skipping back and forth between tracks , i listneed loud on sony dr z7s..

i like it , but dont love it yet, it didnt have all round the wow factor for me, but itl grow on me im sure , i mean if so many people think its great in terms of sound and build etc, then it has to be i guess, and ill appreciate it more as i  go on.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #12,566 of 16,326

My 2016 Samsung TV was having network issues so i switched it back to channel 149. When you switch channels you may have to reboot 5ghz devices. I didn't do much debugging because i wanted to watch "Spectral". :)

The DPX1A sees the 2.4Ghz wifi just fine (no tweaks) so its ok.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #12,567 of 16,326
@Layman1
 Later last night I lay thinking in deep thought and recalled having to go 192.168.1.1 to change security settings or something.

@OneL0ve
 But you did say everything (WiFi) was working from the start--before adjusting things, correct? Are you in the US?

@crims
 Yes, exactly my question, too. What would changing something to accommodate my DP-X1A do to the many other things using the router?

Yes, out of the box the DPX1 or (A) will work on 2.4Ghz wifi just fine (no tweaks). I am in US.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #12,569 of 16,326
Good cable indeed, usually does the trick, but I had various results using various DAPs/phones with my Mojo with this one.
Sometimes it does properly connect in usb mode, bypassing the DAP/phone dac/amp.
And sometimes it does connect without bypassing the phone amp (LG V10 for example), which is a bit weird.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #12,570 of 16,326
Nothing is weird, many of you are overlooking the USB mechanism , the way your device was to identify the cables and what it needs to do. I am surprised that as much as you care about audio quality, you would want such cables like this :frowning2:

It is best to use a cables to each specific function. Even the wires materials used to make a USB cables will have influences and effects on the sound performances as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back