ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 11, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #11,267 of 16,328
I still do not know how to proceed. What I want to do is buy some very good quality full-size closed-back headphones that I can directly connect to the balanced output headphone jack of the DP-X1, which the user guide specifies as 4-conductor, 2.5mm. 

I think I have 2 options:

1. I could buy headphones which are already wired for balanced use. The only one I can find so far is I think the Audeze LCD-XC. Any suggestions as to others that are full sized and closed-back would be much appreciated. I would then need to buy a cable to connect the headphones to the DP-X1's balanced output headphone jack. I cannot find any.  Any suggestions for something in the $100-$300 for a 1.2m length would be most appreciated, and any comments on sound quality would be great.

2. Buy good single-ended headphones eg AKG K872 and convert them to balanced use and buy a cable for the DP-X1. I am not sure who can do this.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #11,268 of 16,328
  I still do not know how to proceed. What I want to do is buy some very good quality full-size closed-back headphones that I can directly connect to the balanced output headphone jack of the DP-X1, which the user guide specifies as 4-conductor, 2.5mm. 

1. I could buy headphones which are already wired for balanced use. The only one I can find so far is I think the Audeze LCD-XC. Any suggestions as to others that are full sized and closed-back would be much appreciated. I would then need to buy a cable to connect the headphones to the DP-X1's balanced output headphone jack. I cannot find any.  Any suggestions for something in the $100-$300 for a 1.2m length would be most appreciated, and any comments on sound quality would be great.

2. Buy good single-ended headphones eg AKG K872 and convert them to balanced use and buy a cable for the DP-X1. I am not sure who can do this.

your issue can be solved very simple:

there are many closed headphones that you can get. from audeze xc to fostex th900 mk2 and many others. once you picked  a pair, there are many makers who can do very good job with custom cables.  I can recommend one if you send me a private message.

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #11,269 of 16,328

Buy this headphones:

www.moon-audio.com/focal-elear-headphones.html

Pick AK 2.5mm TRRS recabling from the list in the same order.

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #11,271 of 16,328
He was asking for closed back headphones.

Do not buy these!

Buy this headphones:

www.moon-audio.com/focal-elear-headphones.html

Pick AK 2.5mm TRRS recabling from the list in the same order.

Got it. Sorry.

If closed-cans, do consider Ether Flow C and DT 1770 too.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #11,272 of 16,328
Got it. Sorry.

If closed-cans, do consider Ether Flow C and DT 1770 too.

Thanks. I already have the DT 1770 Pro but they are not balanced. Here is my thinking. Firstly, I understand that to fully take advantage of the DP-X1 features (dual chips etc) balanced output is optimal. Secondly the DT 1770 Pros are quite inefficient and are not the best match for the single-ended output of the DP-X1.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #11,274 of 16,328

Thanks. I already have the DT 1770 Pro but they are not balanced. Here is my thinking. Firstly, I understand that to fully take advantage of the DP-X1 features (dual chips etc) balanced output is optimal. Secondly the DT 1770 Pros are quite inefficient and are not the best match for the single-ended output of the DP-X1.

You need to realize that there are no "balanced or unbalanced" headphones. Just about any set of phones, from cans to IEMs (except electrostatics, which I explicitly exclude for now) can be either balanced or unbalanced. What makes them balanced or unbalanced is merely the cable and which jack you use on your player. Most phones are delivered with a cable that cannot be used for balanced audio because the L- and R- are shared to the shield on the connector.

What you want to do is:
1) Spend your money on the "speaker" and not the cable.
2) Select a set of phones that has a REMOVABLE cable. In many models (maybe even most) models of high-end phones, the cable connects to the earpieces using a plug of some kind.
3) Then either find a purpose-build balanced cable on-line, or have one made - or do what I did and make one yourself and save a crap-load of money.
4) Unplug the old cable and plug in the new one.

How I made mine.

A) Talked to the manufacturer of my phones and confirmed that a replacement cable purchased from them would have all 4 signals (L-, L+, R-, and R+) brought all the way down to the amp-end plug on the cable. (Some cables use a common ground wire to the yolk - where the split between left and right happens- and then divides it to go to the left and right ears. This will NOT do for balanced usage. You need all 4 signals to come all the way to the amp-end plug)
B) Purchased a "replacement" cable (as long as it satisfied "A" above)
C) Purchased a 2.5mm TRRS connector on-line.
D) Clipped off the cable plug at the player end, re-stripped the signal wires, and soldered to the new connector per the output specs

If you are not comfortable doing A-D above, a decent local electronics tech will be able to do it for you with no problem. It is a little delicate, since cramming 4-solder joints cleanly into a 2.5mm connector housing is tight. An experience tech can to the entire job, including a ring-out test afterward, in about 15 minutes. A competent hobbyist (like me) might take 30 minutes. I also recommend using a bit of heat-shrink if you (or your tech) have it. You can find the pinout diagram on-line. It is the same as for AK and Fiio.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #11,275 of 16,328
How about the Oppo PM3s, then buy a Forza cable.

I was also going to recommend the PM3's as a great option. Lots of choices for cable I would pick someone in your country. I'm in the US and had @Peterek make mine for the PM3 and had an adapter made for my PM2's and HE400i as well. He does excellent work.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #11,277 of 16,328
M3u playlists work perfectly.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #11,279 of 16,328

I am not super knowledgeable about playlist formats.  Are M3U8 and M3U the same thing, if not, what is the difference.  With my Fiio X5 I cannot get m3u playlists to work with the player or even show up.

They are basically the same thing. M3u8 is utf-8 encoded. I am pretty sure it will work. I did not check what format the m3u files were before i deleted them off my pioneer. I accidently transfered over playlists i did not want.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #11,280 of 16,328
  They are basically the same thing. M3u8 is utf-8 encoded. I am pretty sure it will work. I did not check what format the m3u files were before i deleted them off my pioneer. I accidently transfered over playlists i did not

Do I need to edit M3U playlists for the DP-X1 so the files can be read.  If so, how?  I can't figure out how to edit the M3U playlists.  That is why I use M3U8.  I have figured out  editing M3U8. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back