ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 5, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #7,982 of 16,326
The first question is, does your receiver have XLR balanced input (I doubt it if it's a 1990's Harmon Kardon receiver)? If it doesn't then don't worry about balanced for it because it won't happen. Down the road you can get a balanced setup that is properly implemented for a balanced audio chain, not using a balanced headphone out to an external amp.

Second, yes, the X7 bypasses the internal headphone amp and utilizes a true line-out to send the receiver the signal directly from the DAC. The X7 also uses a single desktop version of the ESS9018S DAC (and sounds VERY good) which has 8 channels to configure for eventual balanced headphone output. In comparison the DP-X1 uses dual 2 channel ESS9018k2m DACs. When FiiO releases their balanced amp module you will be able to use balanced headphones with it. Storage is a trade off with the X7 for sure if looking to use your large library on the go. However, I believe the X7 now supports DLNA over WiFi so you may be able to stream your library from a server when not on the go. I'm not positive that they've implemented it yet but it's been a planned feature from the X7's inception. It could be a consideration for you.

Third, the AK120ii will still go through its headphone amplifier when using balanced output, but yes, you can use it in that way if your receiver can accept a balanced input. Again, not ideal but it's possible. Just like it may be possible with the DP-X1, just not ideal. Some users may want to use it that way, I don't (I own the AK240).

Honestly, balanced configurations aren't the end all be all of audio. I have balanced gear, and usually, within the same system, the balanced output will sound better than the single ended output. But if the system is designed for single ended use, and measures well, then just go with that. There are MANY single ended TOTL gear that out perform many balanced configurations. I like balanced when the gear is designed to be balanced, but I also prefer to use a proper line out when going in to an external amplifier. That's me, YMMV.

It's all about knowing what your audio chain will be and designing around that for the best quality. If you want a balanced setup at home then I suggest getting a DAC that is balanced and an amplifier that is balanced. You can even use the DP-X1 as a source to feed the DAC through OTG USB. Then when you are on the go you can plug your balanced headphones in and enjoy. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would rather not go through the balanced headphone amp to an external amp.

Regarding the Pioneer single ended vs the Onkyo single ended reports from a couple of users are that they sound identical.

I highly doubt my current receiver has balanced input as well, however given that I know I am going to have to replace my receiver in the next year or so due to a move, and the price difference between the Pioneer and Onkyo is only about $20 it makes more sense to me to go for the player that allows for more options and expansion as my audio setup changes. For now I will be quite content to use it single-ended, particularly when I don't have the hassles I do currently using my iPod Classic!

I've been looking over the specs and features and I really keep coming back to the Onkyo whichever angle I approach the search from. The Pioneer was the very close runner up, but again with such a small price difference the Onkyo made sense given your helpful comment that most users have reported identical single-ended sound from the two.

May 5, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #7,983 of 16,326

I have actually listened to both the XDP-100R and the DP-X1's single-ended output, both with the same IEM (Etymotic ER4S) though not exactly volume matched. Personally, I think the DP-X1 SE out sounds better than the XDP-100R's, though it is not by a significant amount and YMMV. I think I can at least say that the XDP-100R doesn't sound better than the DP-X1 when it comes to single-ended out.

Thanks for the reply chowmein83. Not being able to listen to either is a major pain, so the various comments have been very helpful. I have decided to go ahead and get the DP-X1.

May 5, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #7,984 of 16,326

No doubt that the XDA team could address these issues - most of them seem to be software/firmware/driver issues for sure.

Onkyo could fix the issues too ...  but the thing has been out for long enough that they have time to find and fix these issues already, so I'm not betting on that.

And since the issues do exist in the product right now, and I've no desire to bugger about rooting the thing and installing custom third-party firmware, I returned it. 

My expectation is that when I buy a product it works properly at the time you get my money.  I do NOT buy on "futures", "promises" or "might be-es".  So if they get it fixed in the future I'll happily revisit it, but for now the issues just make it unworkable for me.

Out of curiosity, Torq, did you decide to get something else (and if so, what) or wait to see what will be released in the near future?

May 5, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #7,985 of 16,326
It is a shame that I had to return it.  I was really excited for the DPX1 as there's nothing else out there right now that can do everything it can do (at least not with dual card slots).  Hopefully Onkyo will fix the software issues and I can give it another go in a while.

The iBasso DX200 was really interesting ... right up until it was posted that it'd be using Android as its OS.  Unless iBasso are completely re-writing the audio stack so that it'll work, without forced re-sampling, with external DACs (hell, even with the internal one and standard music clients) then, for me, that'll kill the deal.  But if they can pull that off, I'd definitely be in for one.

iBasso DX200 !? Has it been anounced yet ?

May 5, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #7,987 of 16,326
When I wrote that it was actually referring to the ESS DAC/AMP as the "internal" one (as opposed to the Mojo I'd also been using), since I assumed that'd be the native internal output path even for third party players.

As I've done more research there is mounting suspicion that the third-party players are actually winding up using the DAC that is present on the main SoC, and not the ESS parts, and that that is the cause of the distortion with those players and low-level passages in the music.  If so that should be easy for Onkyo to fix ... they just have to do it! :wink:

It is not true that dp-x1 has a third dac other than 9018. It is always rumors about this.

Software does change sound. Therefore it is like using different app has different sound signature / noise .

Even the Onkyo HF player sound different than the default Music app.

May 5, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #7,988 of 16,326

No doubt that the XDA team could address these issues - most of them seem to be software/firmware/driver issues for sure.

Onkyo could fix the issues too ...  but the thing has been out for long enough that they have time to find and fix these issues already, so I'm not betting on that.

And since the issues do exist in the product right now, and I've no desire to bugger about rooting the thing and installing custom third-party firmware, I returned it. 

My expectation is that when I buy a product it works properly at the time you get my money.  I do NOT buy on "futures", "promises" or "might be-es".  So if they get it fixed in the future I'll happily revisit it, but for now the issues just make it unworkable for me.

I agree totally, I remember when enquiring in the X7 thread, someone stated that the bugs were being ironed out. Nah Nah not for me if that's the case.

I can live with the Onkyo as I have not experienced any issues that I cannot live with.

May 5, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #7,989 of 16,326
  I'm unclear under what circumstances that Android uses forced upsampling?

I think Android upsamples all digital music if played natively through most music apps so Tidal, Spotify, Google Music, Apple Music to name a few.
The exceptions I know of are UAPP, Onkyo HF Player, Hiby Music which all bypass the inbuilt DAC chip

May 5, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #7,990 of 16,326
I think Android upsamples all digital music if played natively through most music apps so Tidal, Spotify, Google Music, Apple Music to name a few.
The exceptions I know of are UAPP, Onkyo HF Player, Hiby Music which all bypass the inbuilt DAC chip

Sigh... :rolleyes:

There is no inbuilt DAC chip. Software up-sampling, sure. The SoC used in the DP-X1 is incapable of converting Digital to Analogue.

May 5, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #7,992 of 16,326
For anyone having problems from music streaming change the default player in developer settings from Nuplayer to Awsome player. If you don't know how to get in to does settings a quick Google Search will help you out

May 5, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #7,993 of 16,326
Sigh...
rolleyes.gif

There is no inbuilt DAC chip. Software up-sampling, sure. The SoC used in the DP-X1 is incapable of converting Digital to Analogue.

I am talking about Android in general, I don't think I mentioned the DP-X1 in my post anywhere.

biggrin.gif

May 5, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #7,994 of 16,326
I am talking about Android in general, I don't think I mentioned the DP-X1 in my post anywhere.

:D

Ha, in the DP-X1 thread. :wink_face:

But seriously, there are very few all-in-one SoC that have a DAC and amp built in to bypass, at least being used in DAPs that I know of. The up-sampling you mentioned is strictly an OS issue with Android, and as you mentioned some developers have got around it.

:beerchug:

May 5, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #7,995 of 16,326
Ha, in the DP-X1 thread.
wink_face.gif

But seriously, there are very few all-in-one SoC that have a DAC and amp built in to bypass, at least being used in DAPs that I know of. The up-sampling you mentioned is strictly an OS issue with Android, and as you mentioned some developers have got around it.

beerchug.gif

Reading through this thread many questions are posed related or unrelated to the DP-X1 
L3000.gif

I would have thought the question would have been I'm unclear under what circumstances that Android in the DP-X1 uses forced upsampling?"

That question I would not have chosen to offer an answer

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back