ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 4, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #7,936 of 16,326
Airplane mode turns off the WiFi and Bluetooth radios.

That should give you better battery life than when not in Airplane mode, unless you already have turned off WiFi and Bluetooth manually.

but in airplane mode, I still can turn on wifi and bluetooth. then what's the difference between airplane mode on / off?
confused_face(1).gif

in normal mode, I seldom use wifi / bluetooth.

May 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #7,937 of 16,326
  but in airplane mode, I still can turn on wifi and bluetooth. then what's the difference between airplane mode on / off?
confused_face(1).gif

in normal mode, I seldom use wifi / bluetooth.

If manually turning on WiFi or Bluetooth doesn't turn Airplane mode off then it's just another bug in the software.

I can't test it now as I just dropped off my DPX1 for return.

But that's all Airplane mode does - it's nothing special.

May 4, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #7,938 of 16,326

If manually turning on WiFi or Bluetooth doesn't turn Airplane mode off then it's just another bug in the software.

I can't test it now as I just dropped off my DPX1 for return.

But that's all Airplane mode does - it's nothing special.

I have just tested this on my XDP-100R.

I had both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth turned on with Wi-Fi connected to my home network. When I turned Airplane Mode on, it disabled both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth and then when turning off Airplane Mode both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth were turned back on.

May 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #7,939 of 16,326
  I have just tested this on my XDP-100R.

I had both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth turned on with Wi-Fi connected to my home network. When I turned Airplane Mode on, it disabled both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth and then when turning off Airplane Mode both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth were turned back on.

That's what you'd expect.

The only question is, does manually turning on WiFi when you're already in Airplane mode result in Airplane mod being turned off.

With cellphones, generally, you can put your device in Airplane mode and then manually turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on - but you wouldn't have the option to manually enable the cellular radios.  On a device that doesn't have the cellphone part I'd expect it to automatically turn Airplane mode off if you manually enabled the WiFi or Bluetooth radios.

Of course, it's not of much consequence if it doesn't ... just an example of either a simple bug or the lack of attention to detail that frequently accompanies Android-based devices (be they phones or whatever).

May 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #7,940 of 16,326

That's what you'd expect.

The only question is, does manually turning on WiFi when you're already in Airplane mode result in Airplane mod being turned off.

With cellphones, generally, you can put your device in Airplane mode and then manually turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on - but you wouldn't have the option to manually enable the cellular radios.  On a device that doesn't have the cellphone part I'd expect it to automatically turn Airplane mode off if you manually enabled the WiFi or Bluetooth radios.

Of course, it's not of much consequence if it doesn't ... just an example of either a simple bug or the lack of attention to detail that frequently accompanies Android-based devices (be they phones or whatever).

Ah I get where you're coming from.

Tested it and with Airplane Mode on you can turn Wi-Fi back on and use it. However this is the same case with Samsung S6 Edge Plus running Android 6.0.1.

So it is simply an issue with Android overall.

May 4, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #7,941 of 16,326
  Ah I get where you're coming from.

Tested it and with Airplane Mode on you can turn Wi-Fi back on and use it. However this is the same case with Samsung S6 Edge Plus running Android 6.0.1.

So it is simply an issue with Android overall.

On a phone, like the S6, Airplane mode can legitimately be on with WiFi and Bluetooth manually re-enabled since it still disables the cellular radios.  The cellular radios aren't present in the DPX1, so once you re-enable the WiFi and Bluetooth radios it would make sense for it to flip Airplane mode off.

It's not a big deal either way - there are far more pressing issues that need addressed with the DPX1!

May 4, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #7,942 of 16,326

On a phone, like the S6, Airplane mode can legitimately be on with WiFi and Bluetooth manually re-enabled since it still disables the cellular radios.  The cellular radios aren't present in the DPX1, so once you re-enable the WiFi and Bluetooth radios it would make sense for it to flip Airplane mode off.

It's not a big deal either way - there are far more pressing issues that need addressed with the DPX1!

Well Airplane Mode is designed to disable Cellular, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.

So Airplane Mode is working exactly the same as it is on the DP-X1/XDP-100R and the S6. Yes on the former devices there is no existence of Cellular but Airplane Mode is still working as it would if Cellular didn't exist on the S6. 

But yes, no doubt, it isn't a big deal.

May 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #7,943 of 16,326
Two questions:

1. Will this be able to stream audio via WiFi to my wifi equipped receiver at home?  
2. I am correct in thinking that Wifi always sounds better than Bluetooth because there is so much compression going on with Bluetooth, right?  

I find that i can do an A/B test between Wifi and Bluetooth and actually can tell the difference pretty easily, but i just want to make sure i'm not crazy.

May 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #7,944 of 16,326
  Two questions:

1. Will this be able to stream audio via WiFi to my wifi equipped receiver at home?  
2. I am correct in thinking that Wifi always sounds better than Bluetooth because there is so much compression going on with Bluetooth, right?  

I find that i can do an A/B test between Wifi and Bluetooth and actually can tell the difference pretty easily, but i just want to make sure i'm not crazy.

It depends on what "WiFi equipped" means in terms of your receiver.

If your receiver is a UPNP/DLNA renderer, then I believe the official answer is "yes" (at least per the original specs), though there are third-party applications that can do this anyway.

In general, UPNP/DLNA will sound better than Bluetooth unless you set things up such that the server (the DPX1 in this case) is transcoding the files to a lower quality.  That said, my experience with the Bluetooth implementation on the DPX1 is such that connecting it via wet-string would probably a) be more reliable and b) sound better.  Very easily the worst Bluetooth implementation I've encountered (and I've encountered hundreds).

May 4, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #7,945 of 16,326

It depends on what "WiFi equipped" means in terms of your receiver.

I'm using a 1 year old Marantz receiver which i can stream audio to from a laptop, iPad, etc.. either via Bluetooth or Wifi (it has a built-in onboard router).  It also has native support for Spotify, Airplay, etc.. which can also be streamed to the receiver using Wifi or Bluetooth.

EDIT: What is a "wet-string"? You mean "a cable"?

May 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #7,946 of 16,326

I'm using a 1 year old Marantz receiver which i can stream audio to from a laptop, iPad, etc.. either via Bluetooth or Wifi (it has a built-in onboard router).  It also has native support for Spotify, Airplay, etc.. which can also be streamed to the receiver using Wifi or Bluetooth.

EDIT: What is a "wet-string"? You mean "a cable"?

You need to find out what streaming protocols your receiver supports.  It's probably UPNP/DLNA (a variation of which is called "OpenHome"), but you need to find out (as it is entirely possible, if not very likely, that it's something proprietary).  If it says it can function as a UPNP/DLNA renderer then you should be fine.  Then you'd use the DPX1 as the server and Control Point (though you could use another device as the Control Point as well).

"Wet string" as in string (the stuff you tie around things) that is wet ... 
tongue_smile.gif

It's an engineering joke.  String isn't generally conductive.  Water is (as long as it's not pure).  Thus making the string wet would make it more conductive than plain string (though not practically useable of course).  But the point being is it would, at best, be a very poor and unreliable connection and probably wouldn't work at all ... which, given the weakness of the Bluetooth implementation on the DPX1 (possible that I have a bad unit, but I've heard of enough others with the same issue that I'm inclined to doubt it), that even a "wet string" connection would be an improvement.

May 4, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #7,948 of 16,326
Just wanted to say that I've just tested using my V-Moda CFW's with my XDP-100R.

My house has three floors and so I put the XDP-100R on the top floor and no matter where I stood in the house, the signal was not degraded and didn't cutting out and sound quality was consistent.

Outside does not seem to have any effect either on the bluetooth performance.

Either the implementation is different in the DP-X1 to the XDP-100R or some people have defective units.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else who wanted to use Bluetooth with DP-X1 or XDP-100R.

May 4, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #7,949 of 16,326
  Just wanted to say that I've just tested using my V-Moda CFW's with my XDP-100R.

My house has three floors and so I put the XDP-100R on the top floor and no matter where I stood in the house, the signal was not degraded and didn't cutting out and sound quality was consistent.

Outside does not seem to have any effect either on the bluetooth performance.

Either the implementation is different in the DP-X1 to the XDP-100R or some people have defective units.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else who wanted to use Bluetooth with DP-X1 or XDP-100R.

Allegedly the main Android board in the DPX1 and XDP-100R are exactly the same (and that's where the Bluetooth implementation is).  It's possible the antenna arrangement is different - not seen the Pioneer in person to be able to compare.

It's possible my DPX1 had faulty Bluetooth, as I've said.

Coming from the UK myself, originally, and being very familiar with how homes tend to be constructed there (I keep a place there, near Althorp), I have a very hard time believing Bluetooth works through floors at all, let alone without degradation.  Certainly in my house there I can't go into another room, let alone another floor, and keep a connection with any device I've tried (though it's not generally a test I perform).  Maybe if I was standing directly over the source, but can't see it otherwise.

But if works for you, that's awesome.

There were enough other issues with the DPX1 that even if Bluetooth had had ten mile range, it still wasn't a viable solution.  Which is disappointing, because it was the only player available with the feature set I wanted.  And there's nothing I'm aware of on the horizon that's going to match that.

May 4, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #7,950 of 16,326

Allegedly the main Android board in the DPX1 and XDP-100R are exactly the same (and that's where the Bluetooth implementation is).  It's possible the antenna arrangement is different - not seen the Pioneer in person to be able to compare.

It's possible my DPX1 had faulty Bluetooth, as I've said.

Coming from the UK myself, originally, and being very familiar with how homes tend to be constructed there (I keep a place there, near Althorp), I have a very hard time believing Bluetooth works through floors at all, let alone without degradation.  Certainly in my house there I can't go into another room, let alone another floor, and keep a connection with any device I've tried (though it's not generally a test I perform).  Maybe if I was standing directly over the source, but can't see it otherwise.

But if works for you, that's awesome.

There were enough other issues with the DPX1 that even if Bluetooth had had ten mile range, it still wasn't a viable solution.  Which is disappointing, because it was the only player available with the feature set I wanted.  And there's nothing I'm aware of on the horizon that's going to match that.

I mean you can come and test it here if you want :D

But yeah I managed to put my XDP-100R at the top furthest part of the house and then I stood at the bottom furthest part from the XDP-100R, so I had the maximum theoretical distance between the headphones and the XDP-100R. And honestly there was no issues with cutting out or sound degradation/distortion.I went into every room we have and closed each door and still no issues.

Honestly surprised myself a lot but doing this. 

Yeah I have seen you review and honestly there are some points to the way things have been implemented onto the DP-X1 & XDP-100R that will turn off a lot of people. It is a massive shame because if they could sort those issues out or have done them correctly in the first place, these two DAP's would of near perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back