ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 24, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #5,716 of 16,326
If you want streaming / downloading albums from a streaming service, then go for the Onkyo.

From what I read this is a bit hit or miss. The Pioneer comes with Tidal installed so I assume that would be guaranteed to work properly.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #5,717 of 16,326
Retracted, don't want to get the thread into a negative space again..

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #5,718 of 16,326
I don't want to get this discussion turned around wrong again which happens easily on the subject, but I also don't like seeing information be overstated. I do not have much confidence in Tidal being hit or miss, I think it works and works well is a safe statement to make. I wish more people who use Tidal would chime in and say whether or not they have issues. Again, I'll start, I have never had an issue, Tidal is rock solid, sounds great and super fast to load and change tracks, it feels like the stock player for me in terms of responsiveness.

To be fair it would be foolish for me to say nobody has reported issues, that isn't my point, my point is I still don't think there are enough data points to call Tidal hit or miss, I think that is rather premature at this point. Gather more data and we can see if that bares out.

I totally get your point. I apologise if all I am doing is repeating hearsay. My suggestion is that I have read enough in here, of problems, that it seems that if streaming is my primary reason for buying the DP-X1
then I may be disappointed.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #5,719 of 16,326
Yeah, Onkyo is listening to the consumers in the mean while Sony chose not to care. However, the 3rd party app is still working pretty well with Zx2, and folder browsing had always been available with stock player app. Sony did much of a research before producing Zx2, and when something is not broken why fix it ?

Just finished reading sll 382 pagee, whew!!! I can't help but ask as I've read dozens of comments from you Whitigir.

In almost all of your posts I find you negatively criticizing Onkyo and simultaneously lauding the Sony!

If you're such a huge fan of the Sony then keep and enjoy the flavor. But stop negatively criticizing the Onkyo and praising the Sony in a forum that's obviously here to talk about the Onkyo.

Otherwise do what normal people in the world do when they have a deficient product, and return it or sell it an MOVE ON!

<---------Getting off his soap box.:poop:

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #5,720 of 16,326
Hi Subhakar,

Did you try DT 1770 with Onkyo and if yes, how did you find them?

Thanks.

Hey. Ironically, DT 1770's right driver died the same day I wanted to stop using DUNU and move to beyer on my DP-X1. Wrote to beyerdynamic. My free replacement headphones are on the way from Germany. Will try this weekend hopefully. Might not mod it into balanced and instead try a new balanced IEM/CIEM in future.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #5,721 of 16,326
I totally get your point. I apologise if all I am doing is repeating hearsay. My suggestion is that I have read enough in here, of problems, that it seems that if streaming is my primary reason for buying the DP-X1

I see you quoted me while I was retracting the post! I didn't want to get this debate started again, I really didn't. I'm tempted to start a poll thread where people can vote if the have Tidal issues or not so that people don't have to read hundreds of pages, or listen to rhetoric form both sides of the debate.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #5,722 of 16,326
Just finished reading sll 382 pagee, whew!!! I can't help but ask as I've read dozens of comments from you Whitigir.

In almost all of your posts I find you negatively criticizing Onkyo and simultaneously lauding the Sony!

If you're such a huge fan of the Sony then keep and enjoy the flavor. But stop negatively criticizing the Onkyo and praising the Sony in a forum that's obviously here to talk about the Onkyo.

Otherwise do what normal people in the world do when they have a deficient product, and return it or sell it an MOVE ON!

<
Getting off his soap box.:poop:

To be fair he liked the DP-X1, just not enough as compared to the ZX2 (fair enough) and he did sell the Onkyo.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #5,723 of 16,326
To be fair he liked the DP-X1, just not enough as compared to the ZX2 (fair enough) and he did sell the Onkyo.

Totally, and it is all about personal preferences, until now I still miss the "black background, more holographic and spherical soundstage with excellent trebles and clarity" from DP-X1. Hence, I am still here reading, and happy to see how Onkyo is treating it product, and customer :). Also, I am not even a fan of Zx2, just because Zx2 is doing well for what I preferred, but I wanted more out of it, so I always try to find solutions to make it better.....but I really want a better device, to me Zx2 is not an end game

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #5,724 of 16,326
  The balanced port on then DP-X1 is indeed ginger... Since I applied the Dignis protection film on top of the DAP, there's no more of that teerrible noise happening. The Peterek cable is nicely made indeed and because it is so light and flexible there's virtually no strain on the balanced port. However, there are some serious software or hardware issues with this DAP. The Oppo PM-3 are not exactly hard to drive and can get really loud indeed past 120/160. However, I wanted to see how strong the base can get with the DP-X1 and cranked it up to 150 and briefly to 160 where the distorsion was just unbearable showing the DAP amp reached its limits. The worst thing was that after some 20 seconds, the right channel lost about 20% in volume. I thought something got damaged but after going down to 120 and switching from the Onkyo player to Tidal, everything got back to normal. Before you say that all that could have been due to the headphones, let me tell you that driving the same unit with Mojo was nowhere near bad. The bass was so strong on Rolling Paper and Beyonce's Partition that the cups started floating on my ears :)
So my conclusion is, don't expect DP-X1 to drive your HD800s or other hard to drive headphones, or that it makes your Mojo redundant. Not bad as a standalone solution in balanced mode and driving IEMs or other easy to drive HPs I guess, but don't kid yourself thinking it is a powerhouse.

I doubt anybody will expect it to do that. I am still surprised as I do play my PM3 pretty loud with some pretty bass heavy music and either I don't recognize distortion, or I'm not experiencing it? I can drive the 400i pretty well I think in normal balanced mode, but only with modern, less dynamic recordings of course. I would love to try the Mojo with the Onkyo.

Edit: as my next post reveals, I just used Tidal for that Beyoncé cut Partition, and I agree, at even 144 it starts to distort, but that is LOUD and that song has some crazy bass.

I have been listening with my HD800 S with bass heavy stuffs like EDM, Hardstyle, and deep sub Hip Hop, and I should say the DP-X1 could handle the HD800 S well, stand alone on balanced. Bass impact heavy tracks like Ran-D's " I am Legion" and "Fck EDM" are played with authority at 130/160 with no distortion. Also with deep sub bass tracks like Wiz Khalifas "On My Level" or Lil Jon's "Turn Down for What" which are deep sub bass heavy tracks, though not well extended(the HD800 S sucks at the sub bass) are well handled by the DP-X1 and no distortion. Using ACG I have to admit that I have to crank it up to 145, dont know why ACG needs more volume. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #5,725 of 16,326
I have been listening with my HD800 S with bass heavy stuffs like EDM, Hardstyle, and deep sub Hip Hop, and I should say the DP-X1 could handle the HD800 S well, stand alone on balanced. Bass impact heavy tracks like Ran-D's " I am Legion" and "Fck EDM" are played with authority at 130/160 with no distortion. Also with deep sub bass tracks like Wiz Khalifas "On My Level" or Lil Jon's "Turn Down for What" which are deep sub bass heavy tracks, though not well extended(the HD800 S sucks at the sub bass) are well handled by the DP-X1 and no distortion. Using ACG I have to admit that I have to crank it up to 145, dont know why ACG needs more volume. 

Onkyo clarified that, ACG is active controlled ground which will have better quality but less powerful, and balanced will also improve quality but supply more power.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #5,726 of 16,326
We are calm, just mentioning that given the impact head-fi has in the industry it seems odd to not have a rep pop in from time to time. Knowledge is power and in sales they say when the customer is talking, they are buying so companies do well when they listen, big or small.

Our hobby, head-fi, or audiophile-level head-fi, is really a very very small portion of general Hifi, head-fi and consumer audio/video electronics markets.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #5,727 of 16,326
Our hobby, head-fi, or audiophile-level head-fi, is really a very very small portion of general Hifi, head-fi and consumer audio/video electronics markets.

I know, but they bothered to make the DP-X1 which makes us exactly their target customer so why not pay a little more attention? They have reps on salary anyway, they should at least check in here monthly if not once a week. I would never miss a community like this as head-fi is a sales driver, just look at all the ads on the site! Plus when you search for almost any headphone gear related stuff head-fi is right up there in the search results always so it is important and deserves to have a rep around. If you are going to sell in the market, you need to know the market. Look at the new headphones about to come out from Onkyo, imagine if they were even starting to promote here.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #5,728 of 16,326

Tidal works with the DP-X1, Onkyo even has it as a recommendation on their Useful Apps app. Also I believe they have a partnership(Onkyo and Tidal) to play MQA streaming some time in the future so this alone is a good sign that Onkyo plans to improve compatibility with Tidal.

One of its problems right now in my experience is that it has some random stutters which I think only happens when the screen is turned off. Then there is the issue that I cannot out tidal with my Chord Mojo seems like USB interface is not supported with Tidal, outing to the Mojo works only by using the stock music player, and UAPP in my experience 

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #5,729 of 16,326

Tidal works with the DP-X1, Onkyo even has it as a recommendation on their Useful Apps app. Also I believe they have a partnership(Onkyo and Tidal) to play MQA streaming some time in the future so this alone is a good sign that Onkyo plans to improve compatibility with Tidal.

One of its problems right now in my experience is that it has some random stutters which I think only happens when the screen is turned off. Then there is the issue that I cannot out tidal with my Chord Mojo seems like USB interface is not supported with Tidal, outing to the Mojo works only by using the stock music player, and UAPP in my experience 

I get the odd random stutter with my desktop Tidal over WiFi so isn't the odd stutter just the nature of streaming, or do you mean you get even more stutters with the Onkyo than you do normally with say a computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back