ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 11, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #2,897 of 16,326
  tried any streaming apps yet ?  TIDAL ?  interesting to know if streaming apps are used, will the songs/music pass through the DAC and not required to be converted via CPU ?

I don't know that any android DAP does not use the DAC and uses the CPU instead, although it's true that on Android KitKat the streaming is penalized by a third party app 6dB attenuation other than that things should be as good as the native player (note that the penalty does not apply with Lollipop). That's my experience with the XDP-100 I had for a week before returning. DP-X1 shouldn't be different. The only thing I don't like is having the DSP/Upsampling/etc setting living in the Music app instead of system sound settings.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #2,898 of 16,326
Absolutely no regrets moving from a ZX2 to one of these. More resolution, better imaging and expansive staging. Not as thick as a ZX2 but definitely not thin and boring, still musical.

I look forward to share my impressions too as a former ZX2 owner!

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #2,900 of 16,326
Absolutely no regrets moving from a ZX2 to one of these. More resolution, better imaging and expansive staging. Not as thick as a ZX2 but definitely not thin and boring, still musical.

Did you use Zx2 plain stock ? No TRRS connection and or disable the sound adjustment ? The reason I asked is because with these 2, while Mojo is a very impressive device, it still is a not behind Zx2 in soundstage and resolutions, moreover Zx2 has that thick (tonal body density).

Ofcourse plain zx2 with regular cables TRRS and gears will obviously be nothing compare to Mojo at all. That is how much the differences are.

However I was caught by Mojo "blackness" in the back ground....and in this kind of hobby...it is like a sickness once I hear something better and improved...it itches me to seek for upgrade.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #2,901 of 16,326
I just realized that DP-x1 using 9601 Ess amp, and the phone LG-V10 is using 9602 as an amp with the same DAC
smily_headphones1.gif
the portable music world is going to be wonderful

Yes it does, except there are two DACs and amps 

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #2,902 of 16,326
Did you use Zx2 plain stock ? No TRRS connection and or disable the sound adjustment ? The reason I asked is because with these 2, while Mojo is a very impressive device, it still is a not behind Zx2 in soundstage and resolutions, moreover Zx2 has that thick (tonal body density).

Ofcourse plain zx2 with regular cables TRRS and gears will obviously be nothing compare to Mojo at all. That is how much the differences are.

However I was caught by Mojo "blackness" in the back ground....and in this kind of hobby...it is like a sickness once I hear something better and improved...it itches me to seek for upgrade.

Yes, I did all I could to max out my ZX2. TRRS plugs, sound adjustment disabled; I even sent it to Mezzo Soprano for modification. I still prefer the DP-X1. Very much a taste thing though; for example, I find the Chord Hugo to sound like utter **** and completely unworthy of it's ludicrous price tag, and the Mojo, while more agreeable to my ears, still doesn't tickle my fancy (the DP-X1 has an insanely black background, if you're looking for that).

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #2,903 of 16,326
Yes, I did all I could to max out my ZX2. TRRS plugs, sound adjustment disabled; I even sent it to Mezzo Soprano for modification. I still prefer the DP-X1. Very much a taste thing though; for example, I find the Chord Hugo to sound like utter **** and completely unworthy of it's ludicrous price tag, and the Mojo, while more agreeable to my ears, still doesn't tickle my fancy (the DP-X1 has an insanely black background, if you're looking for that).

I am looking for 3 main things now: black-ness, soundstage, thickness. What did Mezzo Soprano mod on your zx2 ? Never heard of Hugo, but I have seen people saying that it doesn't offer the thickness ? Correct ?

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #2,904 of 16,326
@TheOneInYellow
Thank bro! I'm glad that I finally have it after long time waiting. Even more glad with the sound DP-X1 produce :)

My gear is Yuin PK1 earbuds (High gain Vol 100-120) and ATH-M50X (Medium gain vol 100-120) both on SE. I have a plan to mod PK1 to 2.5 mm TRRS balanced this weekend and see how it go with DP-X1. Also want a nice pair of open-back headphone to use with the Onkyo (choices are Fidelio X2 and Hifiman HE400S. Anyone here has any suggestion?)

Most of the music I listen is Japanese pop/rock, Anisong and some Western (e.g. Incubus, RHCP, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson). Most of them are flac 16 bit and 24 bit.

@Whitigir
Sorry, I didn't have a chance to listen to ZX2. Otherwise the price range is beyond my budget so I'm not eager to try it.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #2,905 of 16,326
@TheOneInYellow
Thank bro! I'm glad that I finally have it after long time waiting. Even more glad with the sound DP-X1 produce :)

My gear is Yuin PK1 earbuds (High gain Vol 100-120) and ATH-M50X (Medium gain vol 100-120) both on SE. I have a plan to mod PK1 to 2.5 mm TRRS balanced this weekend and see how it go with DP-X1. Also want a nice pair of open-back headphone to use with the Onkyo (choices are Fidelio X2 and Hifiman HE400S. Anyone here has any suggestion?)

Most of the music I listen is Japanese pop/rock, Anisong and some Western (e.g. Incubus, RHCP, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson). Most of them are flac 16 bit and 24 bit.

@Whitigir
Sorry, I didn't have a chance to listen to ZX2. Otherwise the price range is beyond my budget so I'm not eager to try it.

Yeah being Zx2 as Class D amp, it pros = the tonal body, but it cons = the noisy background....Sony did a great job though.....I was not as bothered once I heard of Lg-v10...so black....and then heard of Mojo, and I think the background in Zx2 is starting to bothering me.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #2,906 of 16,326
I am looking for 3 main things now: black-ness, soundstage, thickness. What did Mezzo Soprano mod on your zx2 ? Never heard of Hugo, but I have seen people saying that it doesn't offer the thickness ? Correct ?

DP-X1 satisfies the first two criteria; as for thickness, ZX2 is tonally the thickest DAP I have heard in the past year, so that's that. It's also the hissiest of the DAPs. Mezzo replaced the output wires and conditioned the player. Hugo is slightly thinner than Mojo, yeah.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #2,907 of 16,326
DP-X1 satisfies the first two criteria; as for thickness, ZX2 is tonally the thickest DAP I have heard in the past year, so that's that. It's also the hissiest of the DAPs. Mezzo replaced the output wires and conditioned the player. Hugo is slightly thinner than Mojo, yeah.

Thank you, and good to hear. How is the thickness on dp-x1 ? Similar to mojo ? Or ?

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,908 of 16,326
Thank you, and good to hear. How is the thickness on dp-x1 ? Similar to mojo ? Or ?
I feel the thickness of the DP-X1 is 'just right'. Not as thick as Mojo or ZX2 but is thick 'enough'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back