ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 26, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #16,291 of 16,326
Are you using the stock Onkyo Music Player app?
In the Settings, select the "Select Playback Device", to search for an external USB DAC.
I used it through a standard player, but the sound over the usb was extremely quiet. At the maximum volume of the player and DAC, the output sound was barely audible. No settings, reboots, etc., helped. I have not been able to find out what the problem is.

So I had to install another player. With him, the problem is the opposite. The sound via USB is as it should be, but from the headphone output - the maximum volume without the possibility of adjustment. When the volume is at 0, it's really quiet, but turning the volume up to 1 immediately turns it on full blast.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #16,292 of 16,326
I have a full bundle with the following items:

ONKYO DPX1 (B) 32GB ON BOARD STORAGE BONUS 8GB MICRO SD CARD
FIIO A3 PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
EXTRA DPX1 SCREEN PROTECTOR

ANKER PORTABLE BATTERY 79AN703 9000MAH
BONUS RUBBER STRAPS

BONUS BELT CARRY BAG

BONUS 2.5-6.35/1/4" GOLD ADAPTER
USB - MINI USB 2 CABLE (for charging power)
2X 3.5MM STEREO CABLE (short/longer)
SURF CABLES 2.5MM TRRS TO MINI XLR 4 PIN CABLES (suits Audeze and similar xlr connector based headphones)

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/onkyo-dpx1-portable-player-amp-battery-and-cables-bundle.28625/

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #16,293 of 16,326
here is how to about unlocking your onkyo dp-x1. compiled twrp for our device and here is the guide.

prerequisites - fastboot + fastboot drivers for onkyo dp-x1.

okay, so here we go:

turn off your device.
turn it on holding backward and power buttons

connect it to pc.

in command line do

and then you will see your device connected.

next thing - we verify that bootleader unlocked or not

pay attention to

if it is false - unlock your bootloader by

here is twrp 3.0.2-0 recovery:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9WN-DrZ4uGTa2tCNzRJNHROTmM/view?usp=sharing
md5:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9WN-DrZ4uGTMGJmUmtKTHdwaUU/view?usp=sharing

while you're at the bootloader, you can try to boot to your new twrp recovery by doing

if it is booting and working for you, you can replace stock recovery with it by flashing it from fastboot bootloader by

or by flashing image through twrp itself (available through menu)

WANT ROOT?

Flash SuperSU:
http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu-stable
My DP-X1A is dead. (Battery Icon flashes, when connected to charger) WHen trying to fastboot, stuck at Penguin Icon. The Links above are not working for TWRP recovery. Can anyone please provide links for USB Drivers (WIndows 10) for DP-X1A, and ADB sideload procedure, and files.

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #16,294 of 16,326
Some reference pics of (1) DP-X1A & (1) DP-X1 and their boxes, and the Hsabat aftermarket battery

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_0906.jpeg
IMG_0901.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #16,295 of 16,326
Hello All, Recently decided to get my first DAP, Im not much into this so please forgive my ignorance on the subject (also new to headfi). Would you recommend the SR15 for $215 or the Onkyo DP-X1A for $170? I wont be streaming at all, Ill have all FLAC files on the SD card. I want something easy to work with and easy to EQ. I listen to Jazz and Classical-Like (mostly video game soundtracks) exclusively if that matters. Many people recommend the Fiio and while I have had their products and they have been good the Onkyo and Astell Kerns look so sleek (stupid reason to choose them I know, but I adore the look), My budget is max $215 and I prefer used to get the best quality/price ratio, thanks in advance!

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #16,296 of 16,326
Hello All, Recently decided to get my first DAP, Im not much into this so please forgive my ignorance on the subject (also new to headfi). Would you recommend the SR15 for $215 or the Onkyo DP-X1A for $170? I wont be streaming at all, Ill have all FLAC files on the SD card. I want something easy to work with and easy to EQ. I listen to Jazz and Classical-Like (mostly video game soundtracks) exclusively if that matters. Many people recommend the Fiio and while I have had their products and they have been good the Onkyo and Astell Kerns look so sleek (stupid reason to choose them I know, but I adore the look), My budget is max $215 and I prefer used to get the best quality/price ratio, thanks in advance!

I have a DP-X1B (original model - replaced by DP-X1A, which has some upgraded passive components in the audio circuits) - but I think I'd recommend that you get the Astell & Kern SR15, due to it having similar features (balanced output; graphic & parametric EQ), and a battery that's twice the size (3,150mAh vs. 1,630mAh).

SR15 Manual - https://www.moon-audio.com/files/astellnkern/astell-kern-sr15-manual.pdf

DP-X1A Manual - https://www.jp.onkyo.com/audiovisual/dap/SN29402708_DP-X1A_En.pdf

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #16,297 of 16,326
The only advantage from the Onkyo over the A&K are the two SD slots.
Otherwise the SR15 is a much better package (faster, longer accu lifetime, better SQ, IMHO better GUI, much smaller,...)

May 3, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #16,298 of 16,326
The grandfather with the Aroma Jewels in ACG mode... he still hits despite his age!!!

DP-X1 Jewel.jpg

May 3, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #16,299 of 16,326
May 3, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #16,300 of 16,326
ACG Mode.

Output select​

Switching the headphone output.

Balanced​

A mode suitable for when you have
connected balanced headphones. Compared
to the normal single-ended operation, you
can get a larger output and the high voltage is
not grounded together with the small signal,
so you can anticipate a superior effect in the
quality of the music, which means you can
drive headphones that have a high
impedance.

A.C.G.​

A mode suitable for when you have
connected balanced headphones. The basic
operating method is the same as the
balanced mode, but uses technology to even
more forcefully fix grounding standards, so
you can enjoy a sound quality with improved
clarity and stability than the balanced mode.
Output volume is the same as the single-
ended operation, however.

May 3, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #16,301 of 16,326
V-line out = Variable-line output
what the ancestors of modern dap called today's high gain... lol

May 3, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #16,302 of 16,326
the first dap is like the first love... you never forget... :wink:

May 3, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #16,303 of 16,326
I pulled my DP-1XA out a few days ago after not using it for a couple of years. I had been using my Acoustic Research AR-20M for leisure listening and my FiiO X5 II for working out in the yard. I had forgotten how much I loved the rich warm sound of the Onkyo. It was great paired with my Kinera NaNa's and Shure KSE1200's.

May 3, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #16,304 of 16,326
I pulled my DP-1XA out a few days ago after not using it for a couple of years. I had been using my Acoustic Research AR-20M for leisure listening and my FiiO X5 II for working out in the yard. I had forgotten how much I loved the rich warm sound of the Onkyo. It was great paired with my Kinera NaNa's and Shure KSE1200's.

Dang it! Now I’m going to have to get my DP-X1a out.

May 3, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #16,305 of 16,326
I have my DP-X1 connected to a Sony TAZH1ES via USB out and the sound is better than my dedicated streamers in my system.
I am going to get a second unit, DP-X1A at a decent price because its locked and the seller doesn't have the PIN from the previous owner.
There is a factory reset port/pin hole on the bottom of the player I have used in the past to reset using a paper clip. Will this reset process work if I buy the locked DAP and try to use it without a PIN code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back