Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP
Sep 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 799

addyg

500+ Head-Fier
I think this is brand new idea to develop a well known DAP into a phone capable multi-task device.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 799
Had a look at it by myself at IFA today.
I asked the Onkyo staff about the device and was told that this is just a "prototype" and even them do not have much information about it. 
Seems that actually nobody knows if this is really going to be a "phone" and also what OS the smaller one of the two is going to use. 
The description called it "High Res Player" and only listed the specs, including the cameras.

It is expected to be launched next year, in 2017, and there could be changes in design etc.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 799
I asked the Onkyo staff about the device and was told that this is just a "prototype" and even them do not have much information about it. 
Seems that actually nobody knows if this is really going to be a "phone" and also what OS the smaller one of the two is going to use. 
The description called it "High Res Player" and only listed the specs, including the cameras.

It is expected to be launched next year, in 2017, and there could be changes in design etc.

Thanks for first hand information!

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 799
If this is in fact a real development, I will have this phone.hooe the sound quality dies not suffer from interference by all the added phone functionality. Balanced connection?!?!? Oh my :) !!!!!

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 799

Don't suppose they said anything about the pioneer xdp-300r? I know its just the Onkyo dp-x1 in the pioneer packaging and ui, but I kinda prefer it to the Onkyo.

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 799
If this is in fact a real development, I will have this phone.hooe the sound quality dies not suffer from interference by all the added phone functionality. Balanced connection?!?!? Oh my :) !!!!!

I think Onkyo is in the best technical position to offer this combo phone. With its already mature Android HF Player app.

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 799

The smaller one of the two will run on Linux.

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 799
I'm intrigued but skeptical. Making a good smartphone is a big task, a very different task than a good DAP. Even if they do release it, would it make it to the US? I think there's a good chance it would be asian market only, in which case even if you import it band support would be an issue. And with a phone you have to worry more about security patches and OS updates, are they prepared as a company to offer continuing support? 

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 799
I think most system chips now support most of the possible cellular frequencies. I've had a few phones from overseas lately and they work better than their counterparts available from T-Mobile or AT&T.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 799
  I'm intrigued but skeptical. Making a good smartphone is a big task, a very different task than a good DAP. Even if they do release it, would it make it to the US? I think there's a good chance it would be asian market only, in which case even if you import it band support would be an issue. And with a phone you have to worry more about security patches and OS updates, are they prepared as a company to offer continuing support? 

Actually I own an dp-x1 and use it for many phone-like task e.g. Youtube, watching TV episodes, download, cloud drive, forum, banking on browser.  It works fine comparing to my HTC m9.  Except the touch screen is not as good as m9.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 799
Finally a smartphone from a DAC company! 

This is what I was waiting for...

All of these DAPs have generally worse touch screen, OS, CPU than smartphones...
and all smartphones generally sound worse than DAPs no matter what they claim about it.
Now Onkyo turned DP-X1 into a smartphone.

I hope it comes internationally unlocked so anyone in USA & Canada can use it with carriers. 

If it costs less than iPhone, Samsung, I will sell my phones and buy this.

It has always been a pain and hassle to carry a separate DAP on top of a smartphone. I thought they look like a mess in my pocket. 
This will solve that issue!  

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 799
Finally a smartphone from a DAC company! 

This is what I was waiting for...

All of these DAPs have generally worse touch screen, OS, CPU than smartphones...
and all smartphones generally sound worse than DAPs no matter what they claim about it.
Now Onkyo turned DP-X1 into a smartphone.

I hope it comes internationally unlocked so anyone in USA & Canada can use it with carriers. 

If it costs less than iPhone, Samsung, I will sell my phones and buy this.

It has always been a pain and hassle to carry a separate DAP on top of a smartphone. I thought they look like a mess in my pocket. 
This will solve that issue!  

fingers crossed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back