Onkyo A-9555 Integrated or Music Hall A25.2 Integrated amp?
Jun 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

KLJTech

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=11pt]The amp that I was using in my office system died (Acurus A-250) and I'm looking for an integrated amp that sounds good to take its place at least until I can find the time to replace the caps in the A-250. The speakers I use in the office are the B&W CDM 1NT's along with a Velodyne VA-1250X sub (so the low end has its own amp). [/size]

[size=11pt]I can get the Music Hall A25.2 at dealers cost and I've heard that it has a better mid-range and highs than did my Acurus but now I've heard some good things about this Onkyo A-9555 and that it WAS in Stereophile Recommended Components  "Class C." I see that it is no longer listed and i don't know if that is due to not reviewing it in a while or what.[/size]

[size=11pt]Does anyone know if this amp, is a good as some are saying? I haven't thought of Onkyo as good higher end gear since their Integra line. [/size]

[size=11pt]Any input on either of these amps would be great appreciated, I'm not looking to buy any other gear, if the Onkyo isn't what some are saying I'll be going with the Music Hall A25.2. [/size]
[size=11pt]Thank you ![/size]

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Anyone one here ever hear either the Music Hall A25.2 or the Onkyo A-9555?

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 19
I have the Onkyo and can testify that it's an excellent amp for the price. It also has a pretty good headphone jack. I haven't heard the Music Hall though so I can't compare the two.  

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 19
I've only heard good things about the Onkyo and the "tube like" sound of its class "D" amp section. Can you tell me if it has any outputs for a sub?....be they Preamp or Sub outs? I would jump on this amp IF I still had the ability to run my sub.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Kevin

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 19
It does have preamp outs but no sub outs. With any preamp outs though you do need to be careful, and as the manual indicates, any device you hook up to the preamp outs should have its own dedicated volume control.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 19
It does have preamp outputs, I didn't know that, my Velodyne sub has it own volume control. I was also looking at the Music Hall A25.2 and they say that their Preamp output can be used as a sub output, I figured it was the same with any preamp out.

I'm use to using a stand alone amp and preamp and my preamp has sub outputs and I would use the High Pass outputs (80Hz and above) from the preamp to the amp and that would feed my B&W CDM 1NT's and then the sub out would go to my sub which handled everything from 80 Hz on down. Now I'm looking for a nice little amp and will have to rethink how everything is hooked up. I've heard really good things about the Onkyo but wasn't sure if it had Tape outputs (for a headphone amp) or Preamp outs for my sub.
Thanks for the info!

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 19
i liked the onkyo but there is no balance, less to fiddle with, ive also heard it can compete with some top gear

i currently use an 8511, when paired with a preamp is  nice sounding, but no  sub out:frowning2:   had for about 10 years and only had to replace the fuse.

how many watt was the Music Hall?

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
i currently use an 8511, when paired with a preamp is  nice sounding, but no  sub out:frowning2:   had for about 10 years and only had to replace the fuse.

The latest version of Onkyo's 100 watts/channel stereo receiver, the TX-8555, has a sub output (X-over @ 80Hz, confirmed by Onkyo).  I previously had the TX-8511 and regret selling it when I "upgraded" to a Cambridge Audio A500 integrated amp.

I wonder how the TX-8555 would compare to the Onkyo A-9555?  The A-9555 can be had for under $500.00 nowadays.

Btw, Onkyo still has its Integra line, which is now called Integra Research.  

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 19
The Music Hall A25.2 is 50 watts....very nice gear for the money.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 19
I have the Onkyo 9555 and have compared it to a few sub 500$ offerings like NAD and Cambrdige and it came out on top for me for its smooth presentation and sheer control.

First things first. There are no pre outs whatsoever, I dont know what the other guy is seeing but the 9555 does not have PRE AMP out or SUB out. Only Speaker A and Speaker B and A+B. So if you must use a sub, you need to go speaker level.

Secondly, the Onkyo 8 series line are receivers (I had one before) and are lower end consumer level amps and the 9555 is a significant step up. The 8 series is probably the best 200$ receiver money can buy along with the HK ones, but the 9555 is an integrated amp with some very focussed engineering designed to compete with 500-800$ integrateds from the big boys.

Also, I havent heard the Music Hall but would once again give my highest recommendation for the Onkyo as it is one of the best decisions I made and I am not feeling the compulsion to upgrade my amp anymore since I got it.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:

First things first. There are no pre outs whatsoever, I dont know what the other guy is seeing but the 9555 does not have PRE AMP out or SUB out. Only Speaker A and Speaker B and A+B. So if you must use a sub, you need to go speaker level.

Whoops! Sorry about that. I never said it had a sub out but I did misspeak about the preamp. I haven't actually bothered with the connections on my unit in over a year and just took a quick look through the manual. What it does say about the A-9555 is that it can be used as a power amp in conjunction with a preamp. I apologize if I mislead anyone.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 19
I'm holding off anyway, Music Hall has their A35.2 (80 watt) unit coming out late this month early next and I'm going to grab one of those. I have a buddy that's a dealer for Music Hall and will let me get one for cost.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 19
I compared the Onkyo  9555 to the Nad 315BB and found the Onkyo better. I ordered the Outlaw 2150 RR and the Outlaw stomped the Onkyo. I had all three amps in house at the same time. The Onkyo is less powerful than the Outlaw with less bass. With the Outlaw 2150 you get pre in and out a dedicated sub out with bass management a USB jack with a built in dac and more power. It was like buying a Mercedes compared to a Chevy. The Outlaw if it wasnt manufacturer direct would cost over 2K. It replaced a 10K front end I owned and its about 90 percent of that with better bass. Drives my Maggies without a bump and I cant clip it. The headphone amp is very very good and it also has a good tuner. I paid 500 on sale at Outlaw direct. Check it out.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 19
I've had my eye on the Outlaw for a while, but it has quite a few features I dont want. But pre-out, sub out is very useful indeed.

Btw, the 9555 has a fantastic phono input if it matters. I sold my Cambridge phono amp after I got the 9555. Saved me some dough there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back