One tube amp to rule them all (planars and dynamics)
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #16 of 29
Definitely agree here. You can still get really good insight under these conditions if savvy enough, but I definitely wouldn't close the door on things in unfamiliar or differing chains (i.e. Amp A on source A vs. amp B on source B) heard in a meet, unless the was just extremely out of expectation (w/assumption that there was no issue with the system setup).

To the OP, I would say that a lot of good options have been thrown out there. I would just say try to avoid the trap of thinking that the most expensive = the absolute best, which is a common trap in this hobby. Try to see if you can get a home demo or take your source/phones to a dealer to spend a few hours testing something out. If you make it clear that you intend to buy and/or build a relationship, might be doable depending on where you live. But if they go through that trouble, you should try to follow through and buy *something* from *them*.
I agree, but I listened to each of the sources first, in quiet rooms so I could gauge what they were doing before I heard them on the amps. Meets aren't optimal, but I am savvy enough to understand all the variables and still come up with a conclusion of what I heard. I am only closing the door on things that are outside my budget as I always do for purchasing, but not for giving honest impressions of what I hear. I went specifically to hear certain things. Some of which were items I listed. I had fun listening to them, that is just what I heard. I don't begrudge or make conclusions on something based on my budget. For example, my favorite item without questions was the Rossini Apex at $33,000. Incredible DAC. Low level detail was astounding and it was so musical. But, I wouldn't buy it. I'd like to, though.

And I agree, the best place to always test is in your own home in your own system so you can tell how everything will sound and come together. That is best case without question. It is also true, if you are gonna demo, be prepared to buy something, even if not the item you demo as they will soon tire of loaning out items for nothing...:)

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #17 of 29
Thanks for the lesson. My system isn’t thrown together. Just giving impressions on what I heard. And when I heard them there wasn’t a lot of noise. Meet conditions aren’t optimal, but I heard what I heard.
Apply comprehension and you'll find I wasn't passing judgement on your current chain rather addressing the bits of unfamiliar source and amplification which impedes meaningful findings within a five minute listening window under meet conditions.

I heard what I heard under these conditions is quite the fly-by-night experience.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 29
Apply comprehension and you'll find I wasn't passing judgement on your current chain rather addressing the bits of unfamiliar source and amplification which impedes meaningful findings within a five minute listening window under meet conditions.

I heard what I heard under these conditions is quite the fly-by-night experience.
I'll try to apply comprehension...

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 29
The one that has worked wonders for me is the WA23 and slap some Takatsuki tubes in it. It produces the type of sound to die for especially if you have a nice source.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 29
Don't forget the newly released Allnic hpa-10000. It's a sexy amp and I'll be saving up for one. Retail is $15k.
That is a sexy amp, you are right about that. The Volume Pot is incredible... I can't see it on their website, but found a picture of it on what's best forum. They do have the pre-amp only version the "L" on their website, though from what I can tell.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 29
That is a sexy amp, you are right about that. The Volume Pot is incredible... I can't see it on their website, but found a picture of it on what's best forum. They do have the pre-amp only version the "L" on their website, though from what I can tell.
It's not a pot, it's an attenuator which are all made in-house. It's newly released so I think they're still in the process of updating their website. The silver color is even sexier, trust me. I'm hoping it pairs well with my Yamaha when I'm able to purchase one.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 29
It's not a pot, it's an attenuator which are all made in-house. It's newly released so I think they're still in the process of updating their website. The silver color is even sexier, trust me. I'm hoping it pairs well with my Yamaha when I'm able to purchase one.
I just didn't want to write it out...:)

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #25 of 29
I just didn't want to write it out...:)
Do you know why their website doesn't show an XLR output on the 5000 XL page in their pictures? It says it has it in the specs. Confusing... I know very little about this brand, but am starting to read more and more and their products are beautiful.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 29
Do you know why their website doesn't show an XLR output on the 5000 XL page in their pictures? It says it has it in the specs. Confusing... I know very little about this brand, but am starting to read more and more and their products are beautiful.
It's probably just outdated. I can assure you it has XLR. I know someone that's selling theirs, if you're interested. I have their entry tube amp, the hpa-3000 GT, which has served me well, but is now discontinued. Although, the are a few that pop up in the market from time to time. I think they're worth picking up if you want something that leans clean, technical, forward, and dynamic. It also scales well with higher-end gear.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #27 of 29
It's probably just outdated. I can assure you it has XLR. I know someone that's selling theirs, if you're interested. I have their entry tube amp, the hpa-3000 GT, which has served me well, but is now discontinued. Although, the are a few that pop up in the market from time to time.
I figured it out. The picture is of the 5000, not the 5000 XL. I found an old review and the pictures are exactly the same. Thank you, but I am good. Although, I am interested in one. As I am the Icon 205D. Something about putting a pair of 100 yr old tubes into my amp that sounds really fun. I love the look of the Icon products with the copper plates. The 205D looks awesome... Not super powerful, but I owned an HP8 with similar specs and it could drive everything I threw at it without any issue. My tube guy collects WE 205D tubes from the 1920s. Oldest DHT tube still in production.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #28 of 29
Plus, there is a set of Icon Audio Mono Blocks in Idris Elba's new Apple TV show for a brief second during one of the episodes in his London apartment on the show. Good enough for Idris, good enough for me...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back