One Side of my Lambda Pros Has More Bass Than the Other Side
Aug 28, 2009 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
The right side of my lambda pros has more bass than the left side. The bass is also much deeper. Everything else sounds the same. The vocals still image in the center(mostly), but the bass does sounds like it's slightly to the right. I am using a srd7 basic instead of a srd7 pro. Could a lack of voltage have anything to do with it? I do have a srm1/mkII c version on the way. Does anyone think there may be a problem with my left driver? I'm a newbie when it comes to stax, so I have no idea what could be going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Have you considered that it might be a channel imbalance in your amp? Possibly a potentiometer going bad.

I can't think of a convenient way to swap channels, but that would tell you whether you had an issue with the headphones or amp. When your other amp shows up, you'll know.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Yes I have. I can even hear a difference when I stick the outside of each driver up to my ear. The left side has very little bass. What's strange is that, the mids and treble are pretty close the the same level. It's just a bass issue.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 11
No. I just took them apart and noticed that the plastic film covering the drivers is torn. From everything I've read, the only purpose of this film, is to protect the drivers from dust. I'm not sure if it will have any bearing on sound, but I'm going to replace it and see what happens.

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 11
The torn plastic might be resting against the driver, making it harder to drive. Perhaps cut away the torn dust cover to make sure the driver is ok?

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 11
The plastic film is a dust cover but it also traps a pocket of air next to the driver so it's a part of the damping as well. Now for the issue at hand, lack of bass usually points to baffle leak so a torn dust cover, arced diaphragm or structural issues in the driver could all be the cause.

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks everyone for all of your help. I replaced the torn dust cover with plastic wrap, and the bass improved. It's still not on par with the other driver, but it is less annoying. So I'm going to give it another attempt to make sure it's air tight. I also glued both the drivers back with double sided adhesive, and the bass improved in both drivers 1000%. Before I was dissapointed with he bass performance. Now there's almost as much bass as my hd580s, and more than my ad1000s. But like I said, there's still a little more bass on the right side. So again thank you all so much. I think I may be on to something now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back