One shoot chance: buying IEM's and MP3 Player
Aug 6, 2014 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Malarauco

New Head-Fier
Hello guys. I need some advice. My boss is going to the USA for a couple of days, and I finally have the chance of buying some decent not overpriced audio stuff (I'm from Brazil). Unfortunately, my money is low. I'm planning a budget of, at maximum (due the rare opportunity for me) 300 bucks. So, first I wanted to buy only a good IEM, but my iPod Touch 2nd Generation started to show issues in the audio exit. Because of this, and the weakened battery due to his age, I will try to buy a new music player too. Said this, I have a couple of questions:

1 - For a music player, Fiio X3 is really a good option or is just marketing? I can find it for 199 bucks (this price I got for Amazon) in regular stores (my boss will stay most of the time in Miami, New York is a option, but Miami would be easier)?

2 - For the IEM, the Shure 215 is a good starting option (will be my first IEM with more money invested)? I listen mostly progressive and indie rock. I can find those earphones for 99 bucks (Amazon too) in Miami relatively easy?

3 - Due to my budget limitations, I might not buy the two products. Having to choose, what component do you find more important in improving the general quality of the audio?

Thanks and sorry for the poor grammar.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 11
The Fiio X3 (the competitor of the DX50) has somewhat warm sounding.
but the same can be said about the Shure 215...

though, for indie, the 215 is a great choice!

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 11
DX50 battery can be exchanged if it gets old. Not sure how it does with the SE215s. Those are rather low impedance, very high sensitivity IEMS that can be hissy with some players.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 11
I have a Fiio X3 and Shure SE215's overall I like the combination, sound quality is great, only downside if any has been the firmware, now at 3.0 is way better, but I still get the odd freeze with mp3's, so now I just load up flac and leave the mp3s to the iphone. I listen to a wide range of music and also miss the lack of an equalizer. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 11
If you only have $300 then buying a $200 isn't the best idea since it would take up most of your budget. The biggest upgrade would be from your headphone. The difference between my sansa clip($30) vs my fiio x3($200) is small, but the difference between $100 headphones and $200 headphones is a lot bigger. Don't waste your money on the fiio x3 unless you want the extra features it can provide like usb dac

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Hello! I am also from Brazil and I had a similar opportunity recently. Will speak english since english forum. I would like to warn you about one thing: some brands, especially the chinese/taiwanese ones (ostry, vsonic, soundmagic, fidue, fiio) are very easy to find on ebay and other stores that can ship worldwide for a small shipping fee. Also, if you contact the seller, he could help you avoiding customs tax. Of course there will be the waiting and dangers of international shipping. But I had an opportunity recently and asked my friend to bring an over-the-ear Beyerdynamic headphone, which is a very rare brand to find in Brazil, usually at higher prices than others, with high shipping fees when buying abroad and pratically impossible to avoid taxes (60%)

So, what I am saying? Buy something you couldn't get otherwise. The user Bluess suggested the KC06 and I have heard great things about it, but that is an earphone you could easily get from an international store, perhaps without paying taxes. A shure, however, would be much, much harder. Check warranty. Mind about build quality and reliability since you don't want to spend 4-6 months on RMA.
The biggest upgrade would be from your headphone. The difference between my sansa clip($30) vs my fiio x3($200) is small, but the difference between $100 headphones and $200 headphones is a lot bigger.

I agree. And remember that music players are much easier to find here than high quality IEM. Also, if the IEM is not power hungry, you won't need a separate amp or a source that can provide a big amount of energy.

Now, about comfort and fit... you won't know until you try it. So it will be risky buying any IEM.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the answers everyone. For my standpoint maybe is really a good ideia to buy a good earphone instead. Any sugestions in the 100-200 bucks range for a progressive listener? By the way, a suggestion with a good international warranty service would be great too.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm very tempted to buy the Shure 215, but I hear some complaints about these models, saying that the little screw of the detachable part could come a little loose, leading to damage and sound quality loss. Anyone confirm this? What about Shure warranty for products acquired in others countries, it exists?

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 11
If you're set on buying a DAP, I'd seriously consider the colorfly C3.

They can be found regularly at the hundred dollar mark, have a great musical sound, and are quite durable. They also pair well with the 215's.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm very tempted to buy the Shure 215, but I hear some complaints about these models, saying that the little screw of the detachable part could come a little loose, leading to damage and sound quality loss. Anyone confirm this? What about Shure warranty for products acquired in others countries, it exists?

I've had the se215 for a long time and I don't have that problem. The only problem I had is with the noise randomly cutting out with the se846 with an aftermarket cable, but you most likely won't use an aftermarket cable so that isn't a problem.

They still use a mmcx connector for their se846($1000), and I've never heard anyone complain about loss in SQ.

You should ask Shure about the warranty. Their support is good in the US, but I'm not sure about other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back