One of my Tubes is a Lot Brighter than the Other One
Jan 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received a pair of GE 5751 black plates I got off ebay. One tube is significantly brighter than the other one. Does that mean something is wrong. They both sound fine, but I don't know if something is wrong with one of the tubes or not.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 24
I am very happy some one asked this some tube tops have a way brighter glow but the sound is perfect? What is the deal? You would think the glow would be the same?

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 24
I have three pairs of valves for my LD1+ ,and only one pair glow equally bright.
Can't hear any SQ difference with any of them. Bound to be cosmetic differences,they were hand made by humans in those days..,and i guess they still are..

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 24
If there are no SQ,noise,channel imbalance issues then they should be OK to use. Rarely are tubes of equal brightness but it does warrant some attention when one is much brighter than the other. Might be worth sending them to a member with a tube tester (or locally if possible) and get them checked out. If they are good you save the return cost to the vendor and you get keep those excellent 5751s
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 24
There is a little hissing sound from the bright tube from time to time. The seller insists that they have been checked on two different tube testers and they both are supposedly matched(45/44 and 44/44). But the occasional hissing sound from the bright tube is a little alarming to me. I have two sets of 12ax7s(one stock chinese tubes), and the tubes in both sets have equal brightness. All of them are about the brightness of the less bright tube. But both tubes do sound the same though.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 24
These are definitely going back now. The bright tube is now emitting a constant hiss/static type noise. It started out as an occasional type hiss, now it's constant and louder. Thanks all for your input.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 24
DSC_0023.jpg
3rd one over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back