One for you cable fans!
Jul 10, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #106 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was younger I read a lot of stuff too. Then I went out into the real world and experienced life, and found out that a lot of things I read or was taught were not actually reflected in real world experience.

Well, that is a good argument if we are talking about things from life, but when talking about physics that argument doesn't stand up
redface.gif

Maybe I am wrong, and in a few years they prove that cables do make a difference (giggle), but meanwhile we will have to use what we know, that points out there are not.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #107 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that is a good argument if we are talking about things from life, but when talking about physics that argument doesn't stand up.

Yeah, science, including physics, doesn't care about observations in the physical world. Just ask Newton.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #108 of 129
Quote:

Yeah, science, including physics, doesn't care about observations in the physical world. Just ask Newton.
wink.gif

The world is flat. I trust my eyes. Science is full of it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #110 of 129
It's a valid point. You haven't actually seen the Earth from space (you haven't heard x component) so you can't say that it's round (so you can't say that there's no difference). Observations mean absolutely nothing unless they're repeatable under controlled conditions.

EDIT - apparently PhilS deleted his post, so it makes my post look like nonsense.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #111 of 129
Quote:

wink.gif

Yeah, while I don't really want to get pulled into this one, I have to admit, that's not a very good analogy.

Newton made all kinds of discoveries that completely contradicted observation. Infinitesimal calculus completely contradicts common sense (to calculate a tangent line you need to divide by 0), and it was met with derision by mathematicians when it was first introduced.

Much of Newtonian physics is also nonsensical at first. I tutor first year students in physics and a lot of them still don't understand how the friction force is in the opposite direction of motion.

A lot of Newtons ideas were heavily criticized by scientists of the day, until he got more famous anyways. A lot of them asked for observational proof, and obviously at the time there was no way of doing this. Newton could only provide mathematical theories. Centuries later, we know he was right on a lot of it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #112 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and don't hide your last Period in white, when you quote it you can see it
smile_phones.gif

That's bad – it's white for a reason. Please take care next time!
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #113 of 129
Talking about physics that have already been studied, observed and measured. Observation is the first step in the scientific method, cables affecting audible frequencies has been observed and measured long ago. (Relative to my being
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #114 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT - apparently PhilS deleted his post, so it makes my post look like nonsense.

You don't need my help.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #115 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Man of Genius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The world is flat. I trust my eyes. Science is full of it.

The world looks flat. That's what I can see with my eyes. And that's the correct analogy.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #116 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, while I don't really want to get pulled into this one, I have to admit, that's not a very good analogy.

Newton made all kinds of discoveries that completely contradicted observation. Infinitesimal calculus completely contradicts common sense (to calculate a limit you need to divide by 0), and it was met with derision by mathematicians when it was first introduced.

Much of Newtonian physics is also nonsensical at first. I tutor first year students in physics and a lot of them still don't understand how the friction force is in the opposite direction of motion.

A lot of Newtons ideas were heavily criticized by scientists of the day, until he got more famous anyways. A lot of them asked for observational proof, and obviously at the time there was no way of doing this. Newton could only provide mathematical theories. Centuries later, we know he was right on a lot of it.

You're making a different point, IMO. I was responding to the suggestion that science does not care about real-world observations. I submit that that is not correct, notwithstanding that some observations may later be proved to be incorrect or misleading.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #117 of 129
Quote:

You're making a different point, IMO. I was responding to the suggestion that science does not care about real-world observations. I submit that that is not correct, notwithstanding that some observations may later be proved to be incorrect or misleading.

No, I understand. I was merely trying to make the point that measured tests are still important. People may not like it, but math makes the world work (or physics rather).

Observations are still important too though. There may be phenomena that are simply beyond our instruments ability to test, or perhaps multiple variables interact with one another to produce a net result that we cannot calculate. It's fair to say that's unlikely, but it's also fair to say that unlikely doesn't mean anything in the big picture. It's still possible.

Hence, I don't understand why everyone can't just get along.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #118 of 129
Quote:

I was merely trying to make the point that measured tests are still important. People may not like it, but math makes the world work (or physics rather).

Observations are still important too though. There may be phenomena that are simply beyond our instruments ability to test, or perhaps multiple variables interact with one another to produce a net result that we cannot calculate. It's fair to say that's unlikely, but it's also fair to say that unlikely doesn't mean anything in the big picture. It's still possible.

You sound a little too rational or open-minded for this forum.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Hence, I don't understand why everyone can't just get along.

Thank you Rodney.
darthsmile.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #119 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The world looks flat. That's what I can see with my eyes. And that's the correct analogy.
wink.gif

Needs fixing.......

Quote:

The cable sounds different. That's what I can hear with my ears.

There, much better!!!

wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #120 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Man of Genius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Needs fixing.......

There, much better!!!
wink.gif

Hey, you got it – you genius!
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small](Quoters, take care of the white period!)[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread