One amp, or multiple?
Sep 9, 2010 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Eric_C

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Just occurred to me that some of us have multiple amps. I personally don't--my humble Maverick D1 is currently doing double duty as DAC and amp, until such time as my friend finishes up a DIY tube amp--but I was wondering: do any of you have multiple amps (per location)? And why/why not?

I have to admit that the allure of an interim amp is there. With the influx of excellent, more affordable amps such as the Valhalla, the prospect of buying "just one more" for my DT 880 is tempting.

So, returning to the original question: do you have one amp, or many?

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 23
I have three amplifiers.
One for the office rig, and two for the home rig.

Why? Well, first of all bringing an amplifier to work and back is too much hassle, so at least two units are needed. Second of all it is nice to have two units at home, as they do perform differently with different pair of headphones.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 23
I currently have one tube amplifier and one solid state. Recently had three solid states. Differences wheren´t all that great on the solid states. 

The tube amp do go about things a bit differently though so it was not a hard decision to keep that one. Plus it has features that is hard to come by as dual inputs, preout and SUB out. Cut down my Solid state amp collection as well since they where more competing them complementing eachother.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 23
oqvist: I definitely know where you're coming from regarding amp features--my Maverick D1 is a necessary component for its TOSLINK input, and multiple other digital & analog inputs. What solid states did you go try out?

krmathis: is the K1000 an electrostatic headphone? Is that why you need a different amp for it?

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 23
Multiple amps. I like the variety of tubes and circuits out there, so I went a little overboard. They're fun to build and learn about.

If I had to narrow down, I'd keep one OTL and one transformer-coupled tube amp as well as a competent solid state amp. That would give me enough variety. Oh, and a 'stat amp, too.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 23
Have yet to have two of anything side by side and liked both the same.  So for me, the better stays, the weaker goes.  Ie going through my can amp history... Meta42 had nothing to offer against the HeadAmp Lite so I sold it, Rudi 5.1 was better in some areas than the Lite so bye bye Lite.  HeadAmp Reference beat out the Rudi and the SFT Dynahi so stuck around for a while.  Now back to dynamics, the Concerto didn't offer anything the B22 didn't do better so gone.  I've love to try a top level tube amp in house but they just aren't toddler friendly or look like they stepped off a retro catalog =P

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 23
krmathis: is the K1000 an electrostatic headphone? Is that why you need a different amp for it?

No, it is moving coil.
It is designed to be run from a speaker amplifier though.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
It is designed to be run from a speaker amplifier though.

basshead.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 23
High impedance phones generally sound good with OTL tube amp and low impedance phones with transformer coupled.

Tube amps will give you a warm sound and solid state amps will be more analytical in sound. All depend on your taste for different and choice in sound signature.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 23

Uncle Erik and nikongod, I think I would get multiple too, if it were more within my means to do so.

That's a good reason to build your own, as well. A much wider variety of circuits is available if you DIY and you'll save plenty if you supply your own labor. It also lets you choose the parts you want to go into it.

Audiogalore, transformer-coupled tube amps usually do great with high impedance headphones, too. There will be a high damping factor usually, which is a good thing. The reason more transformer-coupled amps aren't on the market is because quality output transformers tend to be expensive. Generally, you're going to spend at least $200 on those alone. But you can spend a lot more - some of the headphone-specific transformers from Sowter will cost you $500, not includimg the rest of the parts for the amp.

Also, not all OTL amps do badly with low-impedance headphones. The Zana Deux has a low output impedance thanks to the 6C33C tubes.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 23
I think it's wonderful to have different amps in different locations, like the family room, bedroom, home office, or at work.  However, I unless you have spending cash, I don't recommend having more than one amp in one listening area.  If you desire different sounds from a particular amp, try a tube amp and roll some tubes, or get an equalizer.  Having multiple amps is certainly a luxury, but I'd rather put extra money towards more music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back