On-ear headphones $50-$100
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

wilby

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking for on ear headphones for under $100. right now I'm looking at these:

sennheiser 218I
sennheiser 228
sennheiser 238
AKG 450

I know the first three are kinda the same.

The three things i really care about are these in this order:
comfort
sound quality(just has to be clear)
if they can i'd like them to fold flat
thanks

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 48
If sound quality is your #1 priority then buy the grado SR80i. Crystal clear upfront mid-range, nice highs and just the right amount of bass. They do not fold, but the driver's rotate 360 degree's, so they lay flat. They are 100$U.S. all day on AMAZON.

They are excellent headphone's!

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 48
I have been unable to find comfortable headphones because i have an oversized head. I am willing to sacrifice some quality for comfort. how comfortable are these?

the laying flat works works for me.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:
If sound quality is your #1 priority then buy the grado SR80i. Crystal clear upfront mid-range, nice highs and just the right amount of bass. They do not fold, but the driver's rotate 360 degree's, so they lay flat. They are 100$U.S. all day on AMAZON.

They are excellent headphone's!

+1 for the SR80i's.

Grados are excellent for rock and I think they're quite comfortable.  They feel light to me so that might be the reason.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 48
Yes, I do own the SR80i's.  I tried out a buddy's SR60i's and I believe they sound similar, but the SR80i's bass extends a bit lower.  They don't really clamp too hard, they have enough pressure to stay on your head.  I've seen a few users changing out the pads though.  If you can audition them somewhere, I would highly recommend it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:
are the sr60i's any worse?
do you own a pair of the 80's, and do they apply alot of pressure?

I don't understand what you mean by, are the 60i's any worse?
Yes I previously owned SR80i's, that is why I recommended them. The reason I don't anymore is because I have this problem where I must take everything apart and mess with it, and while trying to mod them I unfortunately broke them, or I would still have them and probably would have not purchased the MS2i in place of them, and since then I have traded the MS2i for the 325is.

Yes from the factory they do apply a lot of pressure but...
I shaped all of my Grado/Alessandro headphone's into a U shape so there is no pressure on my ears at all, and I have no issue's with their comfort at all. I obviously love the Grado sound, and have heard and owned my share of headphone's, and IMO there is no sound like the Grado's!

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by, are the 60i's any worse?
Yes I previously owned SR80i's, that is why I recommended them. The reason I don't anymore is because I have this problem where I must take everything apart and mess with it, and while trying to mod them I unfortunately broke them, or I would still have them and probably would have not purchased the MS2i in place of them, and since then I have traded the MS2i for the 325is.

Yes from the factory they do apply a lot of pressure but...
I shaped all of my Grado/Alessandro headphone's into a U shape so there is no pressure on my ears at all, and I have no issue's with their comfort at all. I obviously love the Grado sound, and have heard and owned my share of headphone's, and IMO there is no sound like the Grado's!

i mean do the 60i's have significantly worse sound quality. and how would one go about reshaping the grados

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 48
The SR60/80i come with (S) cushions, wich can be Quarter modded to expose the driver's, or you can purchase the (L) cushion's  which are shaped differently and also expose the driver's.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 48
I'm using the Sennheiser HD239.
Pretty good sound for the price, very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back