On-board audio vs Amp/DAC, noticeable difference?
Mar 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BarbecueGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Specifically, the motherboard with the on-board audio being the GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565
The Amp/DAC  being JDS Labs Odac O2 Combo, and the headphones being the Sennheiser Momentum. 

Will there be an obvious improvement with the ODAC O2 Combo? And how so? I'm thinking about getting the ODAC used off Ebay. But that means I'm unable to return it if I don't think there's a big enough difference in sound over my motherboard. So I'm just a bit worried. I'd love to get everyone's opinion on this and see what you think. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 8
  Specifically, the motherboard with the on-board audio being the GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565
The Amp/DAC  being JDS Labs Odac O2 Combo, and the headphones being the Sennheiser Momentum. 

Will there be an obvious improvement with the ODAC O2 Combo? And how so? I'm thinking about getting the ODAC used off Ebay. But that means I'm unable to return it if I don't think there's a big enough difference in sound over my motherboard. So I'm just a bit worried. I'd love to get everyone's opinion on this and see what you think. 

ODAC/O2 combo, current bid $102 (shipping with in the USA about $15).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171713756568?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
If you can get a good price ($150?) on the ODAC/O2, I say go for it.

Your motherboard use the DAC feature that comes with the on-board Realtek ALC887 audio processor :frowning2:
To me it would be worth getting the ODAC/O2 (but only for a good price).

An Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $40-$50) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) would be a good bang for the buck.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 8

ODAC/O2 combo, current bid $102 (shipping with in the USA about $15).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171713756568?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
If you can get a good price ($150?) on the ODAC/O2, I say go for it.

Your motherboard use the DAC feature that comes with the on-board Realtek ALC887 audio processor :frowning2:
To me it would be worth getting the ODAC/O2 (but only for a good price).

An Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $40-$50) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) would be a good bang for the buck.

That's exactly the one I was looking at. So, do you think I'd easily hear the difference in sound? 

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 8
  That's exactly the one I was looking at. So, do you think I'd easily hear the difference in sound? 

You should at least get better detail in the audio.
Also the ODAC being external means you will not pick up electrical noise, that would effect DACs and amps that would be inside the computer case (mounted on the motherboard)

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Will there be an obvious improvement with the ODAC O2 Combo? And how so?

That's extremely difficult to answer. The ODAC/O2 is undoubtedly better hardware than the Realtek ALC887 audio in your motherboard. But the implementation of the audio chipset in the motherboard, as well as other components and how they influence the sound (e.g. noise, as PurpleAngel pointed out), may make the Realtek sound worse. And so one person's experience with that Realtek chipset in their computer could be different from yours. Then "obvious improvement" is such a subjective evaluation in itself. Maybe you won't find the extra difference worthwhile. The only way to know is try it and find out :)

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 8
That's extremely difficult to answer. The ODAC/O2 is undoubtedly better hardware than the Realtek ALC887 audio in your motherboard. But the implementation of the audio chipset in the motherboard, as well as other components and how they influence the sound (e.g. noise, as PurpleAngel pointed out), may make the Realtek sound worse. And so one person's experience with that Realtek chipset in their computer could be different from yours. Then "obvious improvement" is such a subjective evaluation in itself. Maybe you won't find the extra difference worthwhile. The only way to know is try it and find out
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea, I think it's best to just buy something brand new that way I can simply return it if I can't justify the purchase. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Yea, I think it's best to just buy something brand new that way I can simply return it if I can't justify the purchase. 

If you don't, you will always wonder if it could sound better. IMO, it's worth the demo fee of returning it if you don't like it, unless the cost of the O2/ODAC would be burden to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back