On a mission to like jazz
Nov 11, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #1,367 of 5,056
Check it out, he is the guitar player on "The Bridge", great album!

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,370 of 5,056
The greatest living drummer on the planet right now (IMHO), Antonio Sanchez just released a fantastic new album called "Meridian Suite."

Epic record.....epic story theme-type music.  Just love this CD.  Recommend to ANYONE that enjoys high energy thematic-type jazz music similar to older Pat Metheny Group type music.  Great stuff.  (Not a jazz fusion release)
Highly recommended.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,371 of 5,056
Have to check out out.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,372 of 5,056
  The greatest living drummer on the planet right now (IMHO), Antonio Sanchez just released a fantastic new album called "Meridian Suite."

Epic record.....epic story theme-type music.  Just love this CD.  Recommend to ANYONE that enjoys high energy thematic-type jazz music similar to older Pat Metheny Group type music.  Great stuff.  (Not a jazz fusion release)
Highly recommended.

Great stuff...thanks for the recommendation.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,373 of 5,056
This afternoon, I am mostly listening to Kamasi Washington. I'm sure this album didn't pass you guys by, but if for some reason it did then it's absolutely worth checking out imho. It's supremely accessible whilst being packed with complex compositions, virtuosity and improvisation. My wife and I are lucky enough to have tickets to see Kamasi alongside the brilliant Gogo Penguin next weekend. Pretty much my two favourite current acts. To say I'm excited would be an understatement :grinning:

MI0003858870.jpg

I caught glimpse of this yesterday evening, and decided to give it a spin. Not bad! I am so tripping on the drumming especially on CD#2, "Cherokee" off of CD3 also left an impression. Gonna have to listen some more next time. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,375 of 5,056
Seems to work here in the New Jersey area, looks like it will be up for 30 days (28 left). Going to work, check it out later, thanks (have the album coming through Amazon one of these days).

Recent acquisition I love...Trombone for Lovers, Roswell Rudd (just turned 80!)
Heard it on Destination Outhttps://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/63585 on the WFMU Give The Drummer Stream, can be found on line, great show, Wednesday mornings (NY time).

(not the album version, live one, only one I could find on YouTube...the album features Steve Bernstein, slide trumpet, they pair terrifically!)

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,378 of 5,056

Great stuff...thanks for the recommendation.

Yea....no joke.  If you are able to find a clip to listen to.  Just the first 5 min of the cd will really give you a great flavor of what it is like.
It's one of those cd's that takes 4-5 listens before you realize it is a storybook thematic type piece that has re-occurring melody's/themes with different instruments in different time sigs that keep coming back.  Don't want to continue to gush about it but this music release is a REAL gem.  All musicians on all instruments are studs.....chemistry is unparalleled .    Totally blown away by it and that doesn't happen too often for me.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,379 of 5,056
A surprisingly good album is the Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett duet album. Also a favorite is the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Take Five album. For swing, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway and Buddy Rich can't be beat. Also some Maynard Ferguson is fun to throw in

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,380 of 5,056
  A surprisingly good album is the Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett duet album. Also a favorite is the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Take Five album. For swing, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway and Buddy Rich can't be beat. Also some Maynard Ferguson is fun to throw in

The versatility of Gaga's talent really shines through in the Bennett collaboration.  Another good example of her musical talent can be hear in her 2015 Oscar Sound of Music tribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back