On a mission to like jazz
Dec 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #46 of 5,056
Many thanks for all the contributions in this thread..working my way through them (easiest work I've ever done :wink:

Came across this tonight and had to share: 

Sipping some Benromach (a must try, Scotch lovers) and thoroughly enjoying this. It may have taken 21 years for me to 'get' Jazz, but I can firmly say I've not been this excited about exploring music in a long time..well, since I discovered my father's Hendrix and Zeppelin vinyl. 

Thanks again, everyone. 
beerchug.gif

I'm listening on a pair of K271, which have been my first pair of reeal headphones. Currently eyeing the 612 for a bit more spaciousness and low end extension. Is this a good idea? 
Sorry for the off topic, back to the music :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #47 of 5,056
  Many thanks for all the contributions in this thread..working my way through them (easiest work I've ever done :wink:

Came across this tonight and had to share: 

Sipping some Benromach (a must try, Scotch lovers) and thoroughly enjoying this. It may have taken 21 years for me to 'get' Jazz, but I can firmly say I've not been this excited about exploring music in a long time..well, since I discovered my father's Hendrix and Zeppelin vinyl. 

Thanks again, everyone. 
beerchug.gif

I'm listening on a pair of K271, which have been my first pair of reeal headphones. Currently eyeing the 612 for a bit more spaciousness and low end extension. Is this a good idea? 
Sorry for the off topic, back to the music :)

I'd say grab the Q701 and do the bass mod on it. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #49 of 5,056
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuA1dc1zKzE

whilst u are drinking n modding...listen to this :p

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #50 of 5,056

Portico Quartet - Isla

Streaming this on MOG right now. I like it. 

I've been streaming a lot of stuff on MOG, but so far I've purchased the following on CD:

Norah Jones - "New York City", and "Not Too Late"
Diana Krall - "Live in Paris", and "The Girl in the Other Room"
Patricia Barber - Modern Cool
Brian Bromberg - Wood

I also have an album from a band called The Aristocrats titled Culture Clash which is kind of jazz fusion-y, and I've had a few albums from a group called Planet X which is also a little jazzy. 

Decent start, right? 

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #51 of 5,056
This is interesting:

It's like a mix of dubstep and jazz with female vocals. Not sure what to think of it yet, I'm only on the 2nd song on the album.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #52 of 5,056
Also just grabbed these today at a local small record/CD store:

Hopefully these are acceptable versions/masters of "Kind of Blue" and "Ah-Um"?

EDIT: This version of "Kind of Blue" is apparently the right version to own: http://www.audioholics.com/music-reviews/miles-davis-kind-of-blue

Listening now, and it does sound quite nice. Sounds better than I had expected being that it's an ancient recording.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #53 of 5,056
I assume Mark Wilder mastered those issues of "Kind of Blue" and "Mingus Ah Um" as he has been responsible for virtually every CD reissue of old Columbia jazz records that I have. He's a really good mastering engineer and I've never really heard him do a bad job. Both recordings sound exceptionally good to begin with.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #54 of 5,056
  I assume Mark Wilder mastered those issues of "Kind of Blue" and "Mingus Ah Um" as he has been responsible for virtually every CD reissue of old Columbia jazz records that I have. He's a really good mastering engineer and I've never really heard him do a bad job. Both recordings sound exceptionally good to begin with.

This version of Kind of Blue sounds good, I'm listening to this right now. I haven't tried the Mingus disc yet, but It does mention Mark Wilder in the liner notes. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #56 of 5,056
You might want to concentrate less on the 'sound' and more on the music! If I'm not mistaken, KOB is the best-selling Jazz record of all time! Not due to it's audio properties! That said, I own a classic 'six-eye' LP, a new clean re-issued LP, and a CD of KOB! But it's all about the music!!:wink:

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #57 of 5,056
I'm very happy to have discovered Michael Wollny recently. He seems like a brilliant musician.

I've already posted a couple of videos featuring Youn Sun Nah, but here are two more, both absolutely mind-blowing. They are also almost polar opposites. I'm not even sure if the first one even qualifies as jazz, but it is simply too good to not share. The second video more than makes up for it with all the scatting and simply a first-class performance that has to be heard to be believed (just watch the video, you'll see
wink_face.gif
).

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #58 of 5,056
You might want to concentrate less on the 'sound' and more on the music! If I'm not mistaken, KOB is the best-selling Jazz record of all time! Not due to it's audio properties! That said, I own a classic 'six-eye' LP, a new clean re-issued LP, and a CD of KOB! But it's all about the music!!
wink.gif

I was focusing on the music, but I also know that these days there are a lot of re-issues and remasters of music that are done poorly. Just wanted to make sure I got a good master. Trust me, I am enjoying my jazz journey. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #59 of 5,056
Some great suggestions in here.  I haven't been pulling up my jazz collection much lately and this thread reminds me I need to revisit it, and explore the genre more.  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back